The Student Room Group

Spanish degree

What are the best/recommended universities for studying Spanish in South England?
Oxbridge (obviously you have to get in but, if I'm not mistaken, they have a 40% acceptance rate which is one of if not their most highest acceptance rates)
Surrey
Southampton
KCL
Bristol
UCL
Original post by Anonymous
What are the best/recommended universities for studying Spanish in South England?

To introduce myself I’m Joao, starting next semester I will be in my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. The campus is lovely. Surrey is known to put a lot of emphasis on the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests’ students have and clubs for all kinds of sport that a student might want to take up. And even with covid restrictions, the union managed to organise one of the biggest covid-safe university events in the country!

If I were you I would consider doing a placement year. Placement provides students with a unique opportunity to gain skills specific to their subject or industry of choice as well as the employability skills required for real-life work so I would suggest applying for a sandwich degree. If you do not manage to secure one you simply go straight to the 3rd year. Our Employability and Careers team will encourage you to be proactive and apply for your industry placement yourself, by writing a CV and cover letter. More importantly, your school or department will appoint a senior tutor for Professional Training who will work with you from the application process through to the completion of your placement. This is an academic member of staff with responsibility for delivering the Professional Training scheme and supporting you at all stages of the journey.

The university also provides a Professional Training coaching scheme, where you can be paired with a student who has recently returned from their placement. That way you will have friendly support from someone who went through the same placement-seeking process and who will prepare you for the world of work. Also, as some placements abroad may involve learning and communicate in a language other than English, the university has support available to help you develop your language skills.

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, then please ask as I am here to help you out! :smile:

Joao
Economics
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending