The Student Room Group

Previous study

For the last 5 years I have studied a BSc course at the OU part-time with a Tuition Fee Loan from SFE. I have completed 300 credits but have not gained the BSc qualification.

I am now looking to try full-time at a brick University where I would be doing a MSc course with a Foundation Year. However, on the application form it asks about previous qualifications and my concern is that I have received a CertHE and DipHE, but no BSc degree qualification (I didn't finish the course).

On the form it says:

Application for student finance for new students 2023/24
"Do not mention any course that you studied part-time where you did not achieve a qualification"

So is it OK to leave that section empty? Does the CertHE and DipHe count as a qualification if I didn't finish the degree?

Can somebody from SFE confirm that I can apply for a full-time Maintenance Loan (which I’ve never had before) and a full-time Tuition Loan for the full 5 year course.

Many thanks.
Original post by newbie6699
For the last 5 years I have studied a BSc course at the OU part-time with a Tuition Fee Loan from SFE. I have completed 300 credits but have not gained the BSc qualification.

I am now looking to try full-time at a brick University where I would be doing a MSc course with a Foundation Year. However, on the application form it asks about previous qualifications and my concern is that I have received a CertHE and DipHE, but no BSc degree qualification (I didn't finish the course).

On the form it says:

Application for student finance for new students 2023/24
"Do not mention any course that you studied part-time where you did not achieve a qualification"

So is it OK to leave that section empty? Does the CertHE and DipHe count as a qualification if I didn't finish the degree?

Can somebody from SFE confirm that I can apply for a full-time Maintenance Loan (which I’ve never had before) and a full-time Tuition Loan for the full 5 year course.

Many thanks.

Hi there,

It specifically says 'where you did not receive a qualification,' therefore if you did gain a HNC/HND, you would mention that as you would have received a qualification from that course.

Thanks, Clare
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

It specifically says 'where you did not receive a qualification,' therefore if you did gain a HNC/HND, you would mention that as you would have received a qualification from that course.

Thanks, Clare

Thanks for the reply.

Does this mean I will be eligible for a Tuition Fee & Maintenance Loan?

I have read that previous study on a part-time degree level course does not count and will not reduce your funding entitlement for a full-time course so long as only qualifications lower than UK honours degree are obtained.
Thanks for the reply.

Does this mean I will be eligible for a Tuition Fee & Maintenance Loan?

I have read that previous study on a part-time degree level course does not count and will not reduce your funding entitlement for a full-time course so long as only qualifications lower than UK honours degree are obtained.

Hi there,

That is partially correct, the actual previous study years aren't taken into account however, if you obtained a qualification you do need to declare that as that will then be considered, as quoted in your initial query. Did you obtain an HNC/HND? If so, how many years did you study for?

Thanks, Clare
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

That is partially correct, the actual previous study years aren't taken into account however, if you obtained a qualification you do need to declare that as that will then be considered, as quoted in your initial query. Did you obtain an HNC/HND? If so, how many years did you study for?

Thanks, Clare

I studied for 5 years part-time (60 credits per year) and I did obtain a HNC and HND.
I studied for 5 years part-time (60 credits per year) and I did obtain a HNC and HND.

Thank you. So this will be counted when assessing you for the new course. One final question, what is the full name of the new course you're looking to study? Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending