The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

How competitive is entry to MA in Development Studies at Sussex? Is it worth taking

I have gained admission for MA in Development Studies at Sussex for this year. I also have an admit for anthropology at LSE and have been thinking of taking that up. In case I decide to drop Sussex, I want to know is it a wise decision? I have heard Development Studies is the most sought after course. Is it really so? Do lot of people compete to get a place for it? Am I really one of the very few applicant who have secured admissions out of a lot many of the application or is it easy to get through? Can anyone enlighten me on the acceptance rate for this course? Is it really that difficult to get through ? I just want an idea if I would be making a mistake by not taking up this course.
Original post by Anonymous
I have gained admission for MA in Development Studies at Sussex for this year. I also have an admit for anthropology at LSE and have been thinking of taking that up. In case I decide to drop Sussex, I want to know is it a wise decision? I have heard Development Studies is the most sought after course. Is it really so? Do lot of people compete to get a place for it? Am I really one of the very few applicant who have secured admissions out of a lot many of the application or is it easy to get through? Can anyone enlighten me on the acceptance rate for this course? Is it really that difficult to get through ? I just want an idea if I would be making a mistake by not taking up this course.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in applying to the University of Sussex.

I'm a current third-year student studying Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence. Unfortunately, I have not studied Developmental Studies myself, however, I know a lot of my international friends have studied Developmental Studies and it seems the course is very popular internationally.

The University of Sussex is ranked 1st in the world for Development Studies (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021), which indicates the quality of teaching and makes Sussex an institution worthy of consideration regarding the academic and career prospects. I would advise looking at the course content (Development Studies MA) again and see which course suits your needs best.

You may also want to consider the location of where you will be studying. Brighton is a vibrant city and one of the few cities to have a beach, greenery and a vibrant city centre. There are many independent shops, cafes and live venues around Brighton and always something to do in town. I was born in Brighton and have lived here for many years but I am still excited to be living in Brighton and would recommend Brighton especially for students to live here as there are a lot of things to explore in town.

There's a Masters Information Week from 7th to 11th of June, where you will have an opportunity to talk to current masters students and ask about their experiences studying at the University of Sussex. You might also find it helpful talking to one of our student ambassadors currently studying Development Studies MA on the Unibuddy chat platform.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please let me know!

Kind Regards,
Erica (3rd Year BSc Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
You’re turning down LSE for Sussex? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending