The Student Room Group

Postgraduate course?

I’m considering doing a masters in something like mental health or SEND but I’m unsure about how to go about this , what would be the best approach? How do I find a course? How do I get funding ? How will this compliment my undergraduate course and what opportunities will this open up for me? I’m unsure of my options and wondered if anyone has some guidance for me? My undergraduate course is primary mathematics education with QTS, minor in LOTC. Thank you x
Original post by jasmine666
I’m considering doing a masters in something like mental health or SEND but I’m unsure about how to go about this , what would be the best approach? How do I find a course? How do I get funding ? How will this compliment my undergraduate course and what opportunities will this open up for me? I’m unsure of my options and wondered if anyone has some guidance for me? My undergraduate course is primary mathematics education with QTS, minor in LOTC. Thank you x

Some of the questions you need to ask yourself are:
Do I want a qualification that is accredited?
Do I want to study full-time or part-time (and work at the same time)?
Am I willing to move for the course, or would I prefer distance learning?

A lot of things like funding and opportunities will depend on the exact course you're studying (i.e. what qualification it results in and what mode of study you choose). Whether it complements your undergrad course is up to you to identify, as only you know what ambitions and interests you have. You could start looking for courses through findamasters.com, postgraduatesearch.com, or even a quick Google search. One course that I know of that came to mind is this one: PgCert in specific learning difficulties/dyslexia at Bath Spa, or a quick Google search comes up with quite a few options: here. Some of these courses require you to already have teaching experience or be currently working as a teacher, but not all of them.
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Some of the questions you need to ask yourself are:
Do I want a qualification that is accredited?
Do I want to study full-time or part-time (and work at the same time)?
Am I willing to move for the course, or would I prefer distance learning?

A lot of things like funding and opportunities will depend on the exact course you're studying (i.e. what qualification it results in and what mode of study you choose). Whether it complements your undergrad course is up to you to identify, as only you know what ambitions and interests you have. You could start looking for courses through findamasters.com, postgraduatesearch.com, or even a quick Google search. One course that I know of that came to mind is this one: PgCert in specific learning difficulties/dyslexia at Bath Spa, or a quick Google search comes up with quite a few options: here. Some of these courses require you to already have teaching experience or be currently working as a teacher, but not all of them.

Wow, thank you for taking the time to read and find the right sites for me , that means a lot. Ye I definitely need to think into it more but I think those websites will be really helpful to help me to pinpoint exactly what courses would work best for me.
Do you know how funding works with masters or could you give me any guidance from your own experiences (if this is the sort of route you went down) , thank you again for your time. It is greatly appreciated 😄
Original post by jasmine666
Wow, thank you for taking the time to read and find the right sites for me , that means a lot. Ye I definitely need to think into it more but I think those websites will be really helpful to help me to pinpoint exactly what courses would work best for me.
Do you know how funding works with masters or could you give me any guidance from your own experiences (if this is the sort of route you went down) , thank you again for your time. It is greatly appreciated 😄

There are a couple of funding routes that are the most common, but there may be others that are specific to your area of study.
1) The Student Finance postgraduate (masters) loan - not income-assessed, about £11,500 for the duration of your course, paid in instalments (this is the option I chose)
2) University scholarships or grants - these may be for alumni, academic achievements, or other conditions like low income
3) Research council funding - this is designed for people wishing to go on to do a PhD after their masters
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFortune
There are a couple of funding routes that are the most common, but there may be others that are specific to your area of study.
1) The Student Finance postgraduate (masters) loan - not income-assessed, about £11,500 for the duration of your course, paid in instalments (this is the option I chose)
2) University scholarships or grants - these may be for alumni, academic achievements, or other conditions like low income
3) Research council funding - this is designed for people wishing to go on to do a PhD after their masters

Okay that’s brilliant, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending