The Student Room Group

Could I get into oxbridge for medicine?

I have 6 8s and 4 9s at GCSE, but, due to COVID, these grades were predicted by teachers, not grades I achieved through external exams. Would these GCSE grades give me a good chance at getting into medschool at an oxbridge uni, providing I achieve a decent BMAT score?
Original post by oday12345
I have 6 8s and 4 9s at GCSE, but, due to COVID, these grades were predicted by teachers, not grades I achieved through external exams. Would these GCSE grades give me a good chance at getting into medschool at an oxbridge uni, providing I achieve a decent BMAT score?

Hi, Im in a similar position as you but I am looking at oxbridge as an optional path . Your gcse grades are amazing as you need grade 7 to 9 but I dont think an oxbridge uni like Cambridge (for example) does not actually care about gcse results as much as other uni's. But they require Bmat, which is what they care about. Other than that you're fine!

I mean for Oxford in particular 8s and 9s are counted equally though I've heard that in certain situations they have been used to differentiate between applicants performing similarly in interviews that have the same bmat scores as a tiebreaker. Average number of A* is typically between 10 and 11 for successful applicants. A* percentage also matters so assuming you only have the 10 gcses you've mentioned yours would be 100% which is slightly above the average of 95ish% depending on the year. Of course 10A* is one of the most common figures for applicants and the majority of those still don't make it so ensure that you get some work experience and write an original PS that explains your interests in Medicine well. The BMAT is very important too so try doing UCAT before the last dates in the window to maximise your time for the BMAT.
10A*s is very middle of the road for an accepted oxford medic. You will need a pretty high BMAT score as a result. Cambridge won't care about the GCSEs at all and don't have a v high bmat requirement as they interview people more liberally: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Yeah you could.

Also yes, you will need a decent BMAT.

As an aside, here is a list of broad differences between the two, for your convenience:

Spoiler

They do share a lot of similarities though, including major things not attainable anywhere else, like the college system, tutorial system, and academic course

did you do DofE?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending