The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The West Wing
To induce suicidal tendancies in their students. :frown:

Agreed....3 tutes a week kills me...especially when all the work for them is due in in a 27 hour period.
Reply 21
estel
Lots of universities have 10 week terms with no breaks. Eight weeks is just slacking :p:

True. This term for me is 17 weeks. No reading week (we've never had a reading week).

Christmas holidays will be 2 weeks. Easter 1 week. Then 1 week for study leave before exams. Oh and summer holidays were 3 weeks.

Meh! Oxbridge student have it easy! :p:
Reply 22
jjpp
No, we don't even get a proper fresher's week.

where's this?
Evolin
True. This term for me is 17 weeks. No reading week (we've never had a reading week).

Christmas holidays will be 2 weeks. Easter 1 week. Then 1 week for study leave before exams. Oh and summer holidays were 3 weeks.

Meh! Oxbridge student have it easy! :p:

They hardly have it easy, as they have to fit the same amount of work into half the time. It's short but very intense, from what I've heard.
shotgunkisses
They hardly have it easy, as they have to fit the same amount of work into half the time. It's short but very intense, from what I've heard.

Not only that, the first thing they do on return from vacation each is exams.
Reply 25
LH123
Oxbridge people get like, one essay a week though, as far as I know.

I get none:biggrin:
I do get like 2 massive problem sheets a week though I guess..
Reply 26
edinburgh dont have reading weeks and our first semester is 13 weeks (last 2 are exams so effectively 11 weeks constant work) and then we finish at christmas

and our second is 17 weeks with a break for easter in the middle
LH123

:rofl: Seriously, if I had only one essay a week, I'd be ecstatic! Generally I have 2-3 a week, plus instrumental practise and harmony work. In fact, I'm pretty sure there was one week in February or something where I had 4 essays in one week :eek:

If only I had one essay a week... :cry:
yellowwdaisy
where's this?

At Oxbridge...

I was set work on my second day.
hobnob
No, they don't. Why would they?

Someone said earlier on in the thread that they do. I was just wondering.
Oddjob39A
I thought everyone had two terms of 8 weeks with no breaks? :s-smilie:

We do here at Liverpool

At Aston Business School we have ....

1st term: 12 weeks (September 29 - December 19)
==3 week christmas holiday===
2nd term: 10 weeks (January 12 - March 28)
===3 week easter holiday=====
3rd term: 10 weeks (April 20 - June 16)

making up our 38 weeks overall. :smile:
Reply 31
The West Wing
At Oxbridge...

I was set work on my second day.

my friend's just started at oxford and he had a blast during freshers.. and I remember talking to him at the end of his first week and he said he was 'looking forward' to starting work- so I took it he hadn't had any at that point

surely this isn't generally the case? what is your subject/college?
Reply 32
LH123

... I had around 1-2 a week for english alone at a-level
why is that a lot? do they expect it to be thoroughly researched and planned and perfectly written??
Reply 33
Good bloke
Not only that, the first thing they do on return from vacation each is exams.

where is that?
yellowwdaisy
where is that?

Oxford - they are called collections.
lottie12
There's quite a few universities like that. Leicester has short terms too. It isn't that bad... to be honest, I prefer it as you get into a routine! Having 4 weeks off at Christmas ruins everything.

And then they leave and take their bus with them which leads to massive queues for the rest of us.

I hate them.
yellowwdaisy
why is that a lot? do they expect it to be thoroughly researched and planned and perfectly written??

Basically yes.
Reply 37
yellowwdaisy

You have to teach yourself the whole topic, from scratch, and write a decent essay on it in 6 days. I had a ton of essays every week for advanced higher, but they really don't compare at all.
Reply 38
yellowwdaisy

No they expect badly written, poorly researched essays. Half my essays were unreadable the other half made sexually suggestive comments about the supervisors partner :rolleyes:
The essays are expected to be well researched. My essays often cited 10-15 works. I didn't read 15 books an essay obviously, sometimes it was just chapters or articles but the amount of reading for humanities and social sciences is pretty immense. You are also expected to construct an argument that is well-written, logical and also innovative/original.
Reply 39
parkerpen
No they expect badly written, poorly researched essays. Half my essays were unreadable the other half made sexually suggestive comments about the supervisors partner :rolleyes:
The essays are expected to be well researched. My essays often cited 10-15 works. I didn't read 15 books an essay obviously, sometimes it was just chapters or articles but the amount of reading for humanities and social sciences is pretty immense. You are also expected to construct an argument that is well-written, logical and also innovative/original.

I didn't apply to Cambridge for English or Law because I was afraid I wouldn't get in. However, it later dawned on me that I probably feared acceptance at least as much as I did rejection.

Latest

Trending

Trending