The Student Room Group

was this a scam (barclays)?

so i got a message from barclays saying i had spent £40 at o2 and to answer 'Y' if i had and 'N' if I hadn't. i have gotten a legit message from barclays like this before so i didnt think it was suspicious and I said 'N' cuz i never bought that.

an hour later a lady called me from "barclays", she confirmed my name and asked "security" questions like how much i had. i said i had £40 (which i actually did lol), then she asked if i had other accounts with barclays, i said no and she just hung up.

is this a scam? also how do i stop my phone number etc from being used by scammers. they knew my account number and name and i only put stuff like this on websites i trust so idk how ppl keep getting my number. i got scammed by paypal a month ago bcuz i was stupid, but i got my money back
It was most likely a scam. It seems odd for Barclays to ask how much you have as they have your information already I think, they send you Bank statements. Asking how much you have doesn’t seem like a “security” question. You should’ve checked if you had actually had £40 taken out of your account then ignored the message.
Not necessarily a scam as I’m on a business account there (my only telephone banking interactions so far) where they ask for the previous few transactions or to describe regular activity as a security measure. When I call them I get a notification in my app saying someone is speaking to x representative at Barclays as me is this you or not etc. Best to call up the fraud team and check as they’ll have a log of the call.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending