The Student Room Group

I wasted a year of my life

I have been going college for this year and they told me they are failing me over "behaviour" but they just said it without warning or nothing over this thing I did. It was a small thing and I really think they overreacted I told them this that it's a small thing I did. I have just been getting told off far small things like the staff overreact but other people have done worse and they are going to pass but they'll fail me. They are being dramatic, I have wasted a year of my life just for this. I had countless issues in college, I hated it and I have been just down a lot. I wanted to quit but didn't because of my future and now I'm on the same position as I was if I did quit so I wish I did. I didnt get last year pass on the course either due to covid closing it all down early so it's kind of 2 years wasted.

I'm just so upset and pissed off atm
Original post by Anonymous
I have been going college for this year and they told me they are failing me over "behaviour" but they just said it without warning or nothing over this thing I did. It was a small thing and I really think they overreacted I told them this that it's a small thing I did. I have just been getting told off far small things like the staff overreact but other people have done worse and they are going to pass but they'll fail me. They are being dramatic, I have wasted a year of my life just for this. I had countless issues in college, I hated it and I have been just down a lot. I wanted to quit but didn't because of my future and now I'm on the same position as I was if I did quit so I wish I did. I didnt get last year pass on the course either due to covid closing it all down early so it's kind of 2 years wasted.

I'm just so upset and pissed off atm

Have they excluded you? You are entitled to appeal and if you haven't had any warning they are on shaky ground. Get your parents involved ...
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Have they excluded you? You are entitled to appeal and if you haven't had any warning they are on shaky ground. Get your parents involved ...

No but they are saying things like my attendance as well and stuff like saying my coursework as well though
No but they are saying things like my attendance as well and stuff like saying my coursework as well though

So issues with your behaviour, academic results and attendance? And you wanted to quit but dont like being told to leave?

Looking to the future, what jobs, training or studies would you like to do?
Reply 4
So issues with your behaviour, academic results and attendance? And you wanted to quit but dont like being told to leave?

Looking to the future, what jobs, training or studies would you like to do?

I'd rather not say
Did you end up hitting that girl then? :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
Did you end up hitting that girl then? :rolleyes:

No but I confronted her
Reply 7
I'd rather not say

Is this working with cars or in property?
So they excluded you for nothing but it was for something small you did? You also said they mentioned your attendance, how low is your attendance for them use it as a reason of exclusion?
Your college will have a student disciplinary procedure which will tell you how it shoukd have been handled and how to appeal decisions. There is also usually a student code of conduct policy that sets out expectations in terms of behaviour, assessments and attendance. Colleges also have academic/wellbeing/support advisors.

You need to address it directly with the appropriate college contacts using the right procedures. Complaining here in vague terms isnt going to help your situation.

I work at a college whose final term time is due to end shortly.

Around this time, the academic staff are usually flooded with queries from students who have belatedly realised that their failure to attend classes and complete assessments mean they will not pass their course.

They assume the Lecturers will happily give up their summer break and the college building will remain open after the end of term so that they can complete the assessments that they should have submitted months previously. That doesnt happen. They sometimes request to repeat the year, too. That doesn't happen.
Reply 10
When I was 17, I found myself being kicked out of Sixth Form for poor behaviour and fighting in what my school quoted "the worst case we've ever had".

In 21 days, I'm graduating with a 1st class degree in a business-related subject, have four years in industry, have been mentored by a big tech company, and have numerous other awards and extra curricular activities under my belt.

You need to ask yourself what it is you want, and how you are going to get it. The reality is that you're going to be in a poor position for a while, but if you make serious decisions to better yourself, if you're out going and take every opportunity you can, then you have a solid chance at changing your life within the next few years. It took four years for me to build myself from beneath rock bottom, to the ground-surface, where I can actually start making some better and good decisions for my life.

Seek counselling and get your attitude in check. Politics is extremely important in life, learn to be more likeable, or do something positive in your life where you don't have to be liked. College, Sixth Form and University don't particularly matter in the grand scheme, unless you want to be a lawyer, doctor, and so on, but they are great for character building. If you can't stick to it, get a job, move out to somewhere like a small city, or even a large city if you aren't in one, and get networking, learning and growing where you can.

Life isn't easy, and it never has been. Not 50,000 years ago, not today. Learn to play the game and work towards developing a mindset. It took me from the age of 17 to 21 to do it.

Send me a message if you want to talk privately.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending