The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Things to do in Edinburgh

I'm considering Edinburgh as my first choice uni and taking a trip up there next week.
Do you know if I'll be able to walk around the uni campus a bit? How much will I be able to explore the uni given covid restrictions?

Also I'd really appreciate any recommendations for things to do (just to get a vibe for the city). I'm arriving there in an evening then a full day then leaving the next afternoon.

Thank you for anybody who commits time to help me out haha
I'm really bad at planning trips so any suggestions are majorly appreciated!
At the moment you'll be able to walk around the campus no problem because it's just a public area. However, you won't be able to go into any university buildings except for possibly Teviot (Student Union) if you book to have a drink there. That's the only part of the uni that I can think of that members of the public would be allowed into right now. Obviously you wouldn't be able to go into many buildings anyway since it isn't an open day, but in normal times you may have been able to look at the library and gym at least.

I'd recommend going and having a look at whatever accommodation you've submitted an application for. Or if you haven't yet, using the opportunity to see where your options are and what they look like.

I'd also recommend a walk down Cowgate to see where the clubs once were 🤣 (and how far it may be from your accommodation). I'd also recommend a walk through the meadows as I think that is the most studenty place in Edinburgh. Possibly also through Marchmont.

It all depends on how much time you're going to spend as well. But the main thing is the explore the area closest to the campus as that will likely be where you spend most of your time especially in first year. See where the shops are that you may go to, the coffee shops and the clubs to see if you can picture yourself being there.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending