The Student Room Group

Should I do a masters at all?

Hi, Hope you ok. I am currently on universal credit as a lot happened. Also lost my house and taken to court but could not get a solicitor/barrister. As a result considering studying law and or forensic psychology/criminology due to incidents and applying to 2 London modern unis where did my other degrees as will get alumni discount. Please could I have help advice for my statement?
Original post by multirenaissance
Hi, Hope you ok. I am currently on universal credit as a lot happened. Also lost my house and taken to court but could not get a solicitor/barrister. As a result considering studying law and or forensic psychology/criminology due to incidents and applying to 2 London modern unis where did my other degrees as will get alumni discount. Please could I have help advice for my statement?

I may also apply elsewhere but will cost a lot more.
Reply 2
sorry, i don't understand your question i'm afraid. you're considering studying an LLM because you're on universal credit and lost your house? not sure how claiming benefits and losing your home is related to studying an LLM :redface:
Thanks for that, I see the SQE is a new route but actually need to do an MA or MSC as will have to apply for a loan. If I’d sold my house I could have done a few masters which would be my ideal as interested in and studied a few areas in the past. Also met people on a few. Now just need to see if can get on any masters and if even worth it. Yes want to understand law and crime more am already reading books as a friend did an MA a few years ago.

Hi Multirenaissance

A Masters loan is a one way to cover the cost of the course- it's something I did too.

Sorry to hear about your adverse experiences but I'm sure you have built up a lot of resilience through them and that is always good for a career in law.

My advice for a personal statement is to include why you want to study law (personal experiences as you describe is a perfect example), how you know the course you have chosen is right for you (so demonstrate that you know what is involved i.e. hours of study, travel to location, university statistics that you have found or article comments), how you have developed the skills to be able to manage the course (so think organisation, time management, ability to cope with reading/watching/discussing etc) and what your future plans are (this demonstrates that you are planning ahead).

If you are already part of an Alumni then you may be able to access their careers support to get further help with the statement too. I know at the University of Law that I can access both the careers advisor, the employability service adverts regarding jobs and publication support so hopefully where you went to will offer that service too. Best to ask as often people don't realise that it is still available.

All the best with your application!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi Multirenaissance

A Masters loan is a one way to cover the cost of the course- it's something I did too.

Sorry to hear about your adverse experiences but I'm sure you have built up a lot of resilience through them and that is always good for a career in law.

My advice for a personal statement is to include why you want to study law (personal experiences as you describe is a perfect example), how you know the course you have chosen is right for you (so demonstrate that you know what is involved i.e. hours of study, travel to location, university statistics that you have found or article comments), how you have developed the skills to be able to manage the course (so think organisation, time management, ability to cope with reading/watching/discussing etc) and what your future plans are (this demonstrates that you are planning ahead).

If you are already part of an Alumni then you may be able to access their careers support to get further help with the statement too. I know at the University of Law that I can access both the careers advisor, the employability service adverts regarding jobs and publication support so hopefully where you went to will offer that service too. Best to ask as often people don't realise that it is still available.

All the best with your application!

Nic

Hi Nic, Thanks for the supportive reply and information. Yes have a lot of experience too much. A friend did her courses with uni law, I do have her law books which been looking through. If I hadn’t lost my house and sold it and had some money would do a few courses as interested in different areas and not one for an easy life. I did email someone did not get a reply as did look at uni of law ma but have a 2:2 not a 2.1 but do have a post grad cert and lots of other short courses as well as French and English law interpreting do you think I can apply? Thank you re career service at former unis/polys will see if can get help. Need it a lot happened also looking at other courses as well. Stay safe Many thanks Nathalie
Hi Nic, Thanks for the supportive reply and information. Yes have a lot of experience too much. A friend did her courses with uni law, I do have her law books which been looking through. If I hadn’t lost my house and sold it and had some money would do a few courses as interested in different areas and not one for an easy life. I did email someone did not get a reply as did look at uni of law ma but have a 2:2 not a 2.1 but do have a post grad cert and lots of other short courses as well as French and English law interpreting do you think I can apply? Thank you re career service at former unis/polys will see if can get help. Need it a lot happened also looking at other courses as well. Stay safe Many thanks Nathalie

Thanks Nic reread through I have hidden disabilities and processing info issues so hard to look through. Maybe the books are enough and have to represent myself we will see

Hi Multienaissance

The MA Law is a 2:1 entry but the MA Law (Conversion) is a 2:2 entry so I would recommend that you apply to that course instead. You can find the details here: https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/law/ma-law/ (see the bottom of that page). It's aimed at non-law graduates. One thing to note is that it is an October start, not a September one.

Hope that helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to message us on here or reply to this post. I tend to pop on here on a Wednesday to reply but there are other ambassadors that come onto TSR on other days.

Nic
Hi Nic, Apologies did not reply before but not been online for a long time. Thank you for all your help. I’m still in the same predicament but do need to consider Uni of law MA conversion I think. Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending