The Student Room Group

Estate agent asked for my QUALIFICATIONS?!

Is this normal? I have previously rented through both other estate agents and private landlords and never once been asked for this. I politely emailed requesting a viewing and was asked not only the standard things (where I work etc.) but also my education and qualifications. I found it quite bizarre. :eyebrow:

I actually do hold a Law degree from a Russell Group and work at a very "traditional" British company, but I think it's incredibly rude/weird to ask for a prospective renter's qualifications, especially in response to a polite enquiry about wanting to view (where I already stated which area I work in and made it obvious I was a working professional). Checking back, the ad says "We choose carefully to ensure a harmonious household. Our tenants typically have a degree" but it just comes off as very strange. :lol:

Of course credit checks, referencing etc. are part and parcel of the renting process and having dealt with previous problem housemates (many of whom have more degrees than I do!) I can completely see why an agency would want to do checks. But asking for my education/qualifications just seems rude! Has anyone else ever been asked this? This was on a Spare Room ad btw.

Oh, and they also asked to know "where I was from" and randomly listed the education/qualifications and nationality (pointedly stating that everyone else was British) of every current housemate when I did not ask for these details - as well as where they worked. I am British too, but I would certainly not like to move into a house and have my name, education and nationality and workplace given away to EVERY other prospective renter who emailed in asking for a viewing.
Yes, this is quite normal when renting a room in a houseshare or flatshare.
It is usually the housemates that ask these questions during viewings to shortlist the most compatible applicants.
But now so many estate agents are involved in houseshares.
Reply 2
I think a lot of landlords renting out by the room ask such questions. Partly for social and lifestyle fit with other tenants and also because they believe in reduces the risk of bad tenants. Professional people move back with their parents rather than risk CCJs.
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, this is quite normal when renting a room in a houseshare or flatshare.
It is usually the housemates that ask these questions during viewings to shortlist the most compatible applicants.
But now so many estate agents are involved in houseshares.

Oh, really? Fair enough. I have never been asked it before but maybe it is a thing (I've been living up North for a while so maybe the estate agents do it differently here). :smile:

I don't see how it would necessarily make me less compatible if I didn't have a degree though. I can certainly understand asking for my place of work and age, even salary for obvious reasons, or asking to come over and chat to the housemates to make sure we all would get along. But asking for education/qualifications, or "where I'm from," seems incredibly snobbish (and I say this as someone who's often labelled posh and is a boring, non-partying housemate). I have had housemates with Masters degrees who ended up going on drug-fueled rages and smashing things in the kitchen, and housemates who left school with GCSEs but no A-levels, worked as cashiers in middle age who were thoughtful, polite, considerate and a pleasure to live with. I have also had a housemate who went to every fancy photography school you could name and ended up eating half my food consistently to the point I was in tears because the landlord wouldn't do a thing.

I was also admittedly a bit weirded out at having the other housemates' details (name, qualifications, workplace/branch, age) told to me immediately. There are some psycho tenants on sites like Spare Room and the estate agent just gave them to me straight away.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
I think a lot of landlords renting out by the room ask such questions. Partly for social and lifestyle fit with other tenants and also because they believe in reduces the risk of bad tenants. Professional people move back with their parents rather than risk CCJs.

Ah, I posted my response to Londonmyst already but I think I would have replied the same to you - please see above :smile: I can understand things like if someone parties regularly etc., or how much they earn. And obviously an agency would be silly not to ask for previous landlord references. But to ask for education/qualifications straight off the bat is not something I've ever seen before.

How do you mean by the last part? Most professional people should be earning enough to cover the rent on any place (because they should be smart enough to check they can afford it beforehand). But someone's salary/where they work is separate from education and qualifications.
Real estate agent that is identifiable in Companies House and maybe has a brick branch or random untraceable online/email estate agent?

Just wondering if they are harvesting your ID extensively. I dont know, haven't had a private flatshare for years so this apparent Dating App approach to matching flatmates is bizarre to me.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

How do you mean by the last part? Most professional people should be earning enough to cover the rent on any place (because they should be smart enough to check they can afford it beforehand). But someone's salary/where they work is separate from education and qualifications.

Well - I think a lot of people in London really don't have savings so any loss of job is a real problem. Lets say you are a graduate trainee on £25k paying £700 a month for a room, or a more established young professional on £50k paying £1,200 a month. Loads of people (pre Covid) would have had no savings at all. Lots of people in that situation just dont pay their rent while they wait for benefits or a new job.
Reply 7
Real estate agent that is identifiable in Companies House and maybe has a brick branch or random untraceable online/email estate agent?

Just wondering if they are harvesting your ID extensively. I dont know, haven't had a private flatshare for years so this apparent Dating App approach to matching flatmates is bizarre to me.

Thanks, I looked them up and apparently they are a legit company.

Yeah, it seems a bit weird tbh. A degree is no indication of a good housemate as anyone who's been in a student house share knows :lol:
Probably just an overly vigilant landlord. I guess it's because of the social compatibility element with other tenants, given that you're renting in an HMO.
Reply 9
Totally normal. you’re in the UK. always remember.

Incredibly weird and pathetic comment which indicates you were incapable of reading the OP :lol:
Original post by ajj2000
Well - I think a lot of people in London really don't have savings so any loss of job is a real problem. Lets say you are a graduate trainee on £25k paying £700 a month for a room, or a more established young professional on £50k paying £1,200 a month. Loads of people (pre Covid) would have had no savings at all. Lots of people in that situation just dont pay their rent while they wait for benefits or a new job.

Ah, that's unfortunate. I'm on 37k atm, but I would definitely shy away from renting in a lot of popular areas in London. I was always taught to save too, but I know lots of people don't and just blow more than they need to in their first grad job.
Original post by RedGiant
Probably just an overly vigilant landlord. I guess it's because of the social compatibility element with other tenants, given that you're renting in an HMO.

Hmm good point yeah, but there are quite a few other things that indicate better compatibility (e.g. asking for previous landlord references, or doing a meet the housemates type thing). A large proportion of people have a degree these days and it came across as a strange question on their response to my enquiry. I can see why a landlord would want people to get along, but IMHO there are better ways to "vet".

In the list of current housemates I was sent, interestingly, half of them did not have a degree anyway.
yeah I actually just read the title. And I’m not reading the whole thing.

A xenophobic person who hides behind anon for no reason to make an idiotic comment on somebody else's thread is also an illiterate moron?

Colour me surprised. Reported for your original comment. You'd never have the balls to say that IRL, you little coward :rofl:
Hmm good point yeah, but there are quite a few other things that indicate better compatibility (e.g. asking for previous landlord references, or doing a meet the housemates type thing). A large proportion of people have a degree these days and it came across as a strange question on their response to my enquiry. I can see why a landlord would want people to get along, but IMHO there are better ways to "vet".

In the list of current housemates I was sent, interestingly, half of them did not have a degree anyway.

I agree, I'd probably be a bit weirded out if I were to be asked that when looking for some place to rent. Could be a bad sign (i.e. the landlord might have an equally weird attitude to other things). That being said I've only ever rented properties for just myself so I don't know.
Original post by RedGiant
I agree, I'd probably be a bit weirded out if I were to be asked that when looking for some place to rent. Could be a bad sign (i.e. the landlord might have an equally weird attitude to other things). That being said I've only ever rented properties for just myself so I don't know.

Yeah, I can understand a landlord not wanting a tenant who trashes the place, gets on with the other housemates, etc. but I'd assume that's what previous landlord and employer references, meeting the housemates, etc. is for. I fail to see what a degree has to with that - half my halls at uni were complete prats and vandalised the common rooms etc. :lol: Also, disclosing the other housemates' names, jobs and exact location of them, education/qualifications was disrespectful IMO.

Anyway yep, I completely agree it could be a sign of a weird landlord so I'll just stick to the properties that haven't asked :h:. It was in response to my asking for a viewing too (and actually mentioning my workplace, which is a pretty prestigious firm, in my initial email). They didn't even respond to the "may I please arrange a viewing" question and came off as difficult.
A xenophobic person who hides behind anon for no reason to make an idiotic comment on somebody else's thread is also an illiterate moron?

Colour me surprised. Reported for your original comment. You'd never have the balls to say that IRL, you little coward :rofl:

You know I really don’t understand what are you talking about. but seems like you’re having fun. good for you.
Thanks, I looked them up and apparently they are a legit company.

Yeah, it seems a bit weird tbh. A degree is no indication of a good housemate as anyone who's been in a student house share knows :lol:

Yeah, some of the most intelligent people I know leave skidmarks and dont brush their teeth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending