The Student Room Group

worth taking a gap year to get into Medicine?

Hi people,

i was wondering whether is it worth taking a gap year to try getting into a medicne degree, i am in year 13 at the moment, and got these AS grades:

Maths (C) <- predicted B
Physics (A) <- predicted A
ICT (A) <- predicted A
Chemistry (D) <- dropped afer AS

i am thinking about taking a gap year, to study A-level Chemistry (and try to get a A/B, i am good at it i just never worked at it) and also get relevant work expirence

do you think it is worth it,???????????/ need help thx....
Reply 1
Asha
Hi people,

i was wondering whether is it worth taking a gap year to try getting into a medicne degree, i am in year 13 at the moment, and got these AS grades:

Maths (C) <- predicted B
ICT (A) <- predicted A

i am thinking about taking a gap year, to study A-level Chemistry (and try to get a A/B, i am good at it i just never worked at it) and also get relevant work expirence

yeh...most places prefer it if u hav bio/chem at a-level aswell
Asha
Hi people,

Maths (C) <- predicted B
ICT (A) <- predicted A

Hi, if you are really serious about medicine as a career, you need to take up your chemistry again. You dont necessarily need an A especially if you g et As in the in your other subjects. I would probably also advise you to take AS Biology if not the full A Level - OCR in particular was very good. This way you have a more scientific background which will impress the admissions tutors. Also like you said you need to get some good work experience...helping at a GPs, in a hospice, retirement home, hospital etc....It is a very competitive subject and you have to show you are truly committed. I know from applying for Veterinary medicine!
you def. need A or B in chem a-level (some unis say A @ As-level is enough for entry 2005) and at least a B in AS bio! Good luck!
Reply 4
Asha
Hi people,

Maths (C) <- predicted B
ICT (A) <- predicted A

Is that the polite way of saying......ahem........extending your studies another year? lol

Latest