The Student Room Group

Gap year

I'm currently about to start year 13 and i was wondering if a gap year is worth it because i intend on applying for medical school but i feel like i could improve my ucat score and also gain some more relevant work experience. However, some of my friends say that it would put me at a disadvantage and that medical schools dont really accept people who have taken gap years so I'm confused as to whether its worth it or not
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Sonia666
I'm currently about to start year 13 and i was wondering if a gap year is worth it because i intend on applying for medical school but i feel like i could improve my ucat score and also gain some more relevant work experience. However, some of my friends say that it would put me at a disadvantage and that medical schools dont really accept people who have taken gap years so I'm confused as to whether its worth it or not

Lots and lots of people doing all kinds of degrees take gap years. Lots of medicine students take gap years.

Lots of medicine students take gap years because they want to travel, to work, raise some money, have a break from studying or gain some medicine related experience.

Lots more medical students take a gap year or two because they have yet to be successful at interview. Or like a lot of people this year with the grade boundary changes, get an offer but miss their grades.

Gap years are very common and productive ones can be helpful.

If you want a full break and to focus on your A levels apply next year. Build your confidence and experience and have fun. But remember what may start as a one year planned gap year may end up as a two year involuntary one.

You can always apply for deferred entry this year, get in and take a gap year of your choice. If you dont get in you have not lost anything and can apply again next year with the benefit of this years experience under your belt.

But if you were going to apply in Oct, would you be ready anyway? Work experience, UCAT etc? BMAT?

Good luck whatever you decide.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending