The Student Room Group

Law work experience help! Forage?

I've been searching for a while for work experience for law and can't seem to find any. On the website Forage there is the Virtual work experience available from different law firms and I was wondering if anyone has done this and their experience? and if you can write about it on your personal statement.

Im currently waiting on two books that i've been recommended for law before applying in September which will count as wider reading though.
Thanks in advance
Hi! So I've tried the Forage and if you read their terms, you can actually include that into your work experience granted you actually did the work properly and treat it as though you were an intern. I did experience for law as well but I didn't do it seriously - I treated it as a learning course? If you wish to apply it to your personal statement (and you've done it properly), you could talk about how you got a glimpse of your intended area of study as a career, then connect the dots? However, I don't necessarily recommend it to be an important part of your ps - if mentioned, keep it relevant, short and manipulate it to convince.

Here's an example of a first draft I had for my own personal statement (skipped a few lines and not to be taken as a guide):
"Through my virtual work experience with *insert company*, I was given insight as to how lawyers thought and tackled challenging morality and ethics, as I found it impacted how each case would be approached and handled. A false case I worked on (because they give you made up situations close to reality) involved domestic abuse inflicted on the wife of the abuser. I initially thought the solution was simple: the husband was guilty and should serve time, however, we found out the wife had also attacked her husband........ My final verdict sought for the husband to be jailed and the wife in rehabilitation. Concerned that my current knowledge is shallow to justify my thoughts, I am keen to explore more theoretical situations and the intricacies of the criminal justice system at university."

Keep in mind that unis don't expect you to have work exp, as they know the situation we are in with Covid. Besides work exp, you could take law courses, they're really good to help with interviews - there are really good free ones on FutureLearn (where u can get a certificate for it, with a price ofc), and EdX.org (search learn law with online courses and lessons). The point is to be able to connect the dots and make everything relevant through critical reflection. Hope this helped!
Reply 2
Original post by dyinglawstudent
Hi! So I've tried the Forage and if you read their terms, you can actually include that into your work experience granted you actually did the work properly and treat it as though you were an intern. I did experience for law as well but I didn't do it seriously - I treated it as a learning course? If you wish to apply it to your personal statement (and you've done it properly), you could talk about how you got a glimpse of your intended area of study as a career, then connect the dots? However, I don't necessarily recommend it to be an important part of your ps - if mentioned, keep it relevant, short and manipulate it to convince.

Here's an example of a first draft I had for my own personal statement (skipped a few lines and not to be taken as a guide):
"Through my virtual work experience with *insert company*, I was given insight as to how lawyers thought and tackled challenging morality and ethics, as I found it impacted how each case would be approached and handled. A false case I worked on (because they give you made up situations close to reality) involved domestic abuse inflicted on the wife of the abuser. I initially thought the solution was simple: the husband was guilty and should serve time, however, we found out the wife had also attacked her husband........ My final verdict sought for the husband to be jailed and the wife in rehabilitation. Concerned that my current knowledge is shallow to justify my thoughts, I am keen to explore more theoretical situations and the intricacies of the criminal justice system at university."

Keep in mind that unis don't expect you to have work exp, as they know the situation we are in with Covid. Besides work exp, you could take law courses, they're really good to help with interviews - there are really good free ones on FutureLearn (where u can get a certificate for it, with a price ofc), and EdX.org (search learn law with online courses and lessons). The point is to be able to connect the dots and make everything relevant through critical reflection. Hope this helped!

Hi yes this was really helpful thank you very much for taking the time to write all of this! do you mind me asking which law firm experience on forage did you partake in?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by helloo241
Hi yes this was really helpful thank you very much for taking the time to write all of this! do you mind me asking which law firm experience on forage did you partake in?

So, I did my exp with two law firms - Leo Cussen (Criminal Law) & King&Wood Mallesons Global (Corporate Law).
Reply 4
Thanks for the help have a lovely rest of your day!!
Original post by helloo241
Thanks for the help have a lovely rest of your day!!

You don't need work experience for a law degree - it is an academic course, so your focus should be on your interest in learning about law
Reply 6
You can also do a virtual work experience programme online with a company like springpod, I think they have a law one, just another thing to add that shows your interest in the subject
Reply 7
Original post by dyinglawstudent

Hey man where did you read the following I can't seem to find it:

"if you read their terms, you can actually include that into your work experience granted you actually did the work properly and treat it as though you were an intern."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending