The Student Room Group

Applying for work experience

When applying for sixth form at the start of year 11, do you have to also choose the A-levels that you want to do? If so, then it would be nice having a rough idea of what I want to do in the future. I have a few careers in mind but I believe work experience could help me select the appropriate one. Can I start looking for work experience in year 10 or is it too early? Where could I look for lawyer related work experience?
Original post by VoiidDev
When applying for sixth form at the start of year 11, do you have to also choose the A-levels that you want to do? If so, then it would be nice having a rough idea of what I want to do in the future. I have a few careers in mind but I believe work experience could help me select the appropriate one. Can I start looking for work experience in year 10 or is it too early? Where could I look for lawyer related work experience?

Hi there

It is possible to start looking for work experiences in year 10. I don't think it is too early at all :smile: it is a really good way of show casing your interests in the areas.

For law based work experience, you may be able to get some online work experience. I think MOOCs are quite popular among students who are interested in law. (Alternatively, there are also some opportunities in Forage that are related to law). I think most law opportunities start becoming available for Year 11s- I would recommend going onto large law firm's websites. Many firms will have opportunities targeted for year 11 students.

Another way of gaining law related experiences would be by actively sending CVs and cover letters to local firms in your area. (This was how I secured volunteering work at a small firm, so it does work!). It was quite useful as it gave me insights into the field.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Never too early! Just depends if its in person whether a companies insurance will cover it. I had my first placements at end of yr 10 and really helped me decide my future. Emails, phone calls and possibly even visiting in person, making use of any family friends or friends of friends to try get placements will help. I also know medic mentor, its mostly for medics vets and dentists, but has a society for law now. They have weekly online meetings and other benefits, all free and deffo worth looking into. Good luck!!
Original post by VoiidDev

Hi @VoiidDev

It certainly isn't too early to start looking for work experience and will likely be really beneficial for helping to decide which A levels or potential future career you may want to do!

Law can be a slightly more difficult area to get experience in when a bit younger due to the nature of it and the confidentiality. However, it certainly isn't impossible and there are lots of outreach experiences aimed at younger students. I would look in particular at online courses as these seem to be the most available option for people at your stage. Equally, I would go onto firms websites and see when they allow people to apply to their schemes. If you cannot find out or if they say they do not accept people until older I would still send an email with a cover letter and CV attached just in case (With law, if you don't ask you often don't get!).

I hope this helps and good luck 🙂

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending