The Student Room Group

Bad Credit Score

I turned 18 last month and have been trying to apply for credit cards. I've gone on to the websites of all the recommended "starter cards" for people with no credit history like Marbles etc. and they have all said that i'm not eligible. Now i'm confused because how am i ever meant to improve my credit when no credit cards/loans etc will accept me because i've got bad credit. I am now paying 2 bills so maybe that will improve my credit over time but i'm just wondering how other people managed to get their first credit card. I've gone on all the credit checker websites and I haven't seen much advice.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Try using another company like vanquis
Reply 2
Original post by Cookielover6
Try using another company like vanquis

i tried, their website said i'm not eligible
Original post by stephsmhb
i tried, their website said i'm not eligible

Have you got a bank account? A debit card?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Have you got a bank account? A debit card?

yes i have a current account with santander. I spoke to them about a credit card and they said no because i wasn't eligible... even though I have a debit card with them
yes i have a current account with santander. I spoke to them about a credit card and they said no because i wasn't eligible... even though I have a debit card with them

Do you have a regular income?
Reply 6
Do you have a regular income?

I do. I work a full time job
I do. I work a full time job

Are you on the electoral roll?
Reply 8
Are you on the electoral roll?

yes, signed up when i turned 16... haven't voted yet so I don't know if that makes a difference
yes, signed up when i turned 16... haven't voted yet so I don't know if that makes a difference

OK - there must be something - have you asked for your credit file or a reason why you've been refused?
Reply 10
OK - there must be something - have you asked for your credit file or a reason why you've been refused?

They say that they can't find me on the system and that I need to check that all my details are correct and that I've submitted my correct address history for the past few years. But i've checked all my details and every single one is correct. I've lived at my current home since the day I was born so there is no room for confusion there. My parents and older siblings have never had an issue with their credit so I'm just really confused what the issue is.
Use the provider's soft checks, comparison sites are only a guide and don't know what variables different providers look at.

Your go-to ones would probably be Capital One or Aqua. I think Barclays does a credit builder as well but I reckon Capital One's credit builder might be your best bet. AMEX seems to be rather lenient as well, despite not being known for credit builder cards. Though do keep in mind that AMEX isn't as widely accepted as Mastercard and Visa, most major places will accept it, but smaller places might not as AMEX charges higher fees on their end than the other two.

They say that they can't find me on the system and that I need to check that all my details are correct and that I've submitted my correct address history for the past few years. But i've checked all my details and every single one is correct. I've lived at my current home since the day I was born so there is no room for confusion there. My parents and older siblings have never had an issue with their credit so I'm just really confused what the issue is.

Are you registered to vote?

E- Missed the response above.

What's your income like if it's not too much to ask? Some providers only consider lending if you earn at least X amount of money.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by TheMcSame
Use the provider's soft checks, comparison sites are only a guide and don't know what variables different providers look at.

Your go-to ones would probably be Capital One or Aqua. I think Barclays does a credit builder as well but I reckon Capital One's credit builder might be your best bet. AMEX seems to be rather lenient as well, despite not being known for credit builder cards. Though do keep in mind that AMEX isn't as widely accepted as Mastercard and Visa, most major places will accept it, but smaller places might not as AMEX charges higher fees on their end than the other two.

Are you registered to vote?

E- Missed the response above.

What's your income like if it's not too much to ask? Some providers only consider lending if you earn at least X amount of money.

Registered to vote, I dont feel comfortable saying my income on here but for the ones which stated their min requirements, my income met those with ease. I've tried soft checks capital one's eligibility check said I wasnt eligible. Straight up applied to aqua and they rejected me
Registered to vote, I dont feel comfortable saying my income on here but for the ones which stated their min requirements, my income met those with ease. I've tried soft checks capital one's eligibility check said I wasnt eligible. Straight up applied to aqua and they rejected me

The only other thing I can think of are those credit building only accounts that aren't actually credit accounts and literally only exist to improve credit scores. You know, stuff like Loqbox and that sort of thing.

I suggest you request copies of your Statutory Credit Report from the three main Credit Reference Agencies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion). There's no cost for this. You do need to check with all three, as they don't necessarily hold the same information. Check through the reports carefully for any errors.

The credit reports should show whether you're showing on the electoral roll, but you could also check with the electoral registration people at your local council. Make sure they've spelled your name correctly. Also, on that note, make sure you're using your full name when you apply for credit just in case that's the reason they can't find a match.
Reply 15
Original post by TheMcSame
The only other thing I can think of are those credit building only accounts that aren't actually credit accounts and literally only exist to improve credit scores. You know, stuff like Loqbox and that sort of thing.

Thank you I will sign up for that
I turned 18 last month and have been trying to apply for credit cards. I've gone on to the websites of all the recommended "starter cards" for people with no credit history like Marbles etc. and they have all said that i'm not eligible. Now i'm confused because how am i ever meant to improve my credit when no credit cards/loans etc will accept me because i've got bad credit. I am now paying 2 bills so maybe that will improve my credit over time but i'm just wondering how other people managed to get their first credit card. I've gone on all the credit checker websites and I haven't seen much advice.

You don’t have bad credit at 18 you just have no history. It takes time. If you are paying bills such as a mobile or certain utilities they’ll be reported on there.

Having a current account will also report on there.

Don’t apply for lots of credit cards at once it’ll make you look desperate for credit, each search will stay on your file for 12 months and put off other lenders.

Right now you just need to build up a credit history. If you’ve been rejected by 1-2 cards leave it for 6 months.

Then try your own bank that you have a history with for their entry level card, or someone like Barclaycard forward.
Reply 17

i've never had a credit card but my credit is good and i can get one if i want because of this.

having a monthly mobile phone contract goes towards your credit score so it might be worth getting one of those?
I know my virgin tv and internet counts as well..,
i suspect other bills i pay like council tax and electricity and water count also.

you may not have to pay all these bills at 18, but you can get a mobile phone contract can't you?
so go with that for a while as it's better than nothing and still counts.
Original post by ANM775
i've never had a credit card but my credit is good and i can get one if i want because of this.

having a monthly mobile phone contract goes towards your credit score so it might be worth getting one of those?

That can be a chicken-and-egg problem -- if you have no credit history it might be tricky getting a mobile phone contract.

I know my virgin tv and internet counts as well..,
i suspect other bills i pay like council tax and electricity and water count also.

Have you checked that on your own credit report?

Having checked my own:

My internet provider doesn't show up (though it's not a mainstream ISP, perhaps others do)

My council tax doesn't show up

My BT landline account doesn't show up

My O2 mobile monthly contract does show up

My water/sewerage bill doesn't show up

I don't know about electricity/gas as my partner's name is on those accounts
Reply 19
Original post by martin7
That can be a chicken-and-egg problem -- if you have no credit history it might be tricky getting a mobile phone contract.

Have you checked that on your own credit report?

Having checked my own:

My internet provider doesn't show up (though it's not a mainstream ISP, perhaps others do)

My council tax doesn't show up

My BT landline account doesn't show up

My O2 mobile monthly contract does show up

My water/sewerage bill doesn't show up

I don't know about electricity/gas as my partner's name is on those accounts

i have seen my isp on my credit report, i have seen my contract phone on my credit report ...but can't remember seeing any others.

i probably got my first mobile contract in my mid 20s still living at home with parents with no official bills addressed to me so it's definitely possible to get one with no credit. i am assuming back then i had no credit score because i don't think i had paid any bills before that.

Latest

Trending

Trending