The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This is a classic post…
The life of a teacher can be exciting yet difficult at the same time.
Original post by w0man
You are being too hard on them. Teaching is a very hard profession and dealing with hundreds of teenagers and children is never easy.

Underline your statement for passionate and motivate teachers who do everything to make decent and good lessons possible according to their possibilities, although I met teachers as student who weren't motivate and just indifferent to the student's future and perspective. :s-smilie:
In my experience, the majority of my teachers have been really hardworking and contactable outside of office hours. Of course, there will be a few bad eggs; the same for any other profession
These are the kind of people who must not become a teacher, never! taking along with students is one of the most important thing as teacher.
(edited 2 years ago)
If it is so great, why don't you become a teacher?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SpaceLover29
If it is so great, why don't you become a teacher?

Good question! Being a teacher means being restricted to a shedule stuffed with lessons and dates for exams and hardly free space to teach students individually. The main reason I refused to become a teacher.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ambitious1999
What full time job is there where you get 14 weeks paid holiday each year in addition to umpteen inset days (coffee days) and only need to work from 9am to 3:30pm? Ah yes teaching! Effectively it’s a part time job with full time pay that hard working tax payers are paying for, but not getting a lot in return.

Children have lost months and months of education due to Covid yet the extravagant long holidays are protected. 7 weeks off this summer and it seems head teachers decide when the schools go back, they might just as well return when the teachers feel like it which would probably be never. It’s now September and they still have another week off! Teaching assistants also need to do fat more to help teachers and pupils.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2816819/Teachers-lazy-turn-late-t-bothered-set-homework-says-superhead-sent-failing-school.html

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but kids are in desperate need of education. They have almost lost a year. Now we are an independent stand alone nation free from Europe, we need our children to be highly educated and ready to fulfil their meaningful role in society or higher education. We don’t want to become a land of poorly educated youngsters because our nation will become a laughing stock.

Holidays should be reduced to max of:
4 weeks in summer.
2 weeks at Christmas
1 week at Easter
And 3 half term weeks.
Inset days should either be scrapped or done during holiday time.

Do teachers need to work harder?h

OP if you think it’s an easy job why don’t you get a 2:1, do a PGCE and become a teacher? I expect you’ll fall into the drop out statistics.
some teachers are lazy as heck (can't deny this and can happily give examples) but many are not.
@SarcAndSpark, @Muttley79 (gotta tag the TSR education workers/teachers to know their thoughts are even though frankly I'll already know what they are). Also you'll find that countries that have exactly what you're asking for (short holidays, long school hours (South Korea, China, India, Japan etc)) the pupils have poor mental health the rates of you know what are higher/high and both teachers and students and exhausted. Meanwhile in Finland a country which is the exact opposite of a country like Japan or the UK when it comes to education, teachers are happy and well respected, 2nd best education system in the world, students aren't stressed out etc yet they still get the same results as the UK and SEA, lots people going to uni and getting the grade that they need.

It shouldn't be the responsibility of hard working teachers to do the crap that lazy teachers and the government couldn't be bothered to do throughout the pandemic. Lazy teachers, The government and unions get off your backside and support us students and fellow colleagues/schools don't expect hard working teachers to do the crap that you can't be bothered to do!
Original post by Talkative Toad
@SarcAndSpark, @Muttley79 (gotta tag the TSR education workers/teachers to know their thoughts are even though frankly I'll already know what they are). Also you'll find that countries that have exactly what you're asking for (short holidays, long school hours (South Korea, China, India, Japan etc)) the pupils have poor mental health the rates of you know what are higher/high and both teachers and students and exhausted. Meanwhile in Finland a country which is the exact opposite of a country like Japan or the UK when it comes to education, teachers are happy and well respected, 2nd best education system in the world, students aren't stressed out etc yet they still get the same results as the UK and SEA, lots people going to uni and getting the grade that they need.

It shouldn't be the responsibility of hard working teachers to do the crap that lazy teachers and the government couldn't be bothered to do throughout the pandemic. Lazy teachers, The government and unions get off your backside and support us students and fellow colleagues/schools don't expect hard working teachers to do the crap that you can't be bothered to do!

Honestly, if you appreciate our contributions to this site at all, don't tag us in *******s threads like this.

Anyway, I'll do whatever if my pay is increased commensurately, which it won't be because there is no money for schools. Teachers won't do more for less, I don't give a **** if anyone thinks that makes us lazy, it's reality.

If you want decent teaching, fund schools properly.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ambitious1999
What full time job is there where you get 14 weeks paid holiday each year in addition to umpteen inset days (coffee days) and only need to work from 9am to 3:30pm? Ah yes teaching! Effectively it’s a part time job with full time pay that hard working tax payers are paying for, but not getting a lot in return.

Children have lost months and months of education due to Covid yet the extravagant long holidays are protected. 7 weeks off this summer and it seems head teachers decide when the schools go back, they might just as well return when the teachers feel like it which would probably be never. It’s now September and they still have another week off! Teaching assistants also need to do fat more to help teachers and pupils.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2816819/Teachers-lazy-turn-late-t-bothered-set-homework-says-superhead-sent-failing-school.html

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but kids are in desperate need of education. They have almost lost a year. Now we are an independent stand alone nation free from Europe, we need our children to be highly educated and ready to fulfil their meaningful role in society or higher education. We don’t want to become a land of poorly educated youngsters because our nation will become a laughing stock.

Holidays should be reduced to max of:
4 weeks in summer.
2 weeks at Christmas
1 week at Easter
And 3 half term weeks.
Inset days should either be scrapped or done during holiday time.

Do teachers need to work harder?h

Teaching salaries are calculated based on teachers being contracted to work 195 days of the year (190 days of teaching and 5 inset days). Although we are paid in the holidays in that the annual salary is divided by 12, we are not paid for the holidays.

If you want to employ teachers for 20 more days, which is what it sounds like, then you need to pay us as such. The government won't fund schools properly, so this won't happen.

If you want students to "catch up" then the best thing to push for would be smaller class sizes (ours are the largest, on average, in europe). But again, this costs money, so it won't happen.

There is a retention crisis in teaching (yes, even now). Pay peanuts, get monkeys.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Honestly, if you appreciate our contributions to this site at all, don't tag us in *******s threads like this.

Anyway, I'll do whatever if my pay is increased commensurately, which it won't be because there is no money for schools. Teachers won't do more for less, I don't give a **** if anyone thinks that makes us lazy, it's reality.

If you want decent teaching, fund schools properly.

Yeah I agree (some teachers are just bad though regardless of school funding, my old school teachers were just terrible, even basic things like marking tests, HW, books etc weren't being done). I personally just want a decent teacher that's it I don't care if they're amazing or not as long as they are good and thankfully that seems to be the case in my current school. As long as the teacher is ok (i.e not lazy (by lazy I'm talking about like my old school teachers (I beg teachers to stop setting homework if they won't mark it for example, waste of time despite me being pro-homework), discriminatory or genuinely unfair) then no issues from me.

Some teachers are bad some are not something which the OP doesn't want to understand. Many teachers like yourself (I assume) are good many are bad, that's reality and we shouldn't be punishing all teachers because of the fact that teachers in my old school (i.e bad teachers) exist or that as you rightly said the government isn't bothering to fund state schools, improve them or make them an attractive place to work in (50-60+ hours of work a week for the average teacher? No thank you, I'd happily work that much a week but a) my salary would have to be good (clearly not the case for some teachers) and b) I don't want to do anymore work once I leave the office so being a secondary school teacher for me is a no no for this reason).

Yeah overall I disagree with the OP and UK school holidays are short enough (don't we have like some of the shortest school holidays in Europe or something?), so they don't need to be made any shorter, I want my 13 weeks of school holiday a year thank you very much and I'm sure that teachers want the same.
teachers don't do all their work during school time
Original post by josie71202
teachers don't do all their work during school time

THIS ^^^
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Teaching salaries are calculated based on teachers being contracted to work 195 days of the year (190 days of teaching and 5 inset days). Although we are paid in the holidays in that the annual salary is divided by 12, we are not paid for the holidays.

If you want to employ teachers for 20 more days, which is what it sounds like, then you need to pay us as such. The government won't fund schools properly, so this won't happen.

If you want students to "catch up" then the best thing to push for would be smaller class sizes (ours are the largest, on average, in europe). But again, this costs money, so it won't happen.

There is a retention crisis in teaching (yes, even now). Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Agreed.
Literally everything that SarcAndSpark said.

For what it's worth, I was hoping to become a teacher, and likely will still keep my options open for it, though I wouldn't dream of doing it in the UK. Until they only have to work the hours they're contracted for and no more, it's a no-go. (The pay is alright, if they only did what was stated on paper, and not more. The more makes it uneconomical as a profession.)
Original post by Callicious
Literally everything that SarcAndSpark said.

For what it's worth, I was hoping to become a teacher, and likely will still keep my options open for it, though I wouldn't dream of doing it in the UK. Until they only have to work the hours they're contracted for and no more, it's a no-go. (The pay is alright, if they only did what was stated on paper, and not more. The more makes it uneconomical as a profession.)

Yeah teaching in the UK must be awful (especially for underpaid teachers), 12-16 weeks "off" a year might be nice but other than that no thank you (+ I've developed a fear of speaking in front of people). I know how hard good teachers work because I get to see it on a daily basis so baffles me that the OP is trying to brand all teachers as lazy buggers who work short hours and get long holidays.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Yeah teaching in the UK must be awful (especially for underpaid teachers), 12-16 weeks "off" a year might be nice but other than that no thank you (+ I've developed a fear of speaking in front of people). I know how hard good teachers work because I get to see it on a daily basis so baffles me that the OP is trying to brand all teachers as lazy buggers who work short hours and get long holidays.

Mhm. Long holidays are worthless if you have no money to spend in them anyway xD
@Ambitious1999 have you ever been a teacher? Or had enough experiences with teachers in order to justify the fact that they are all (emphasis on this word because there's no denying the fact that some teachers are rubbish and lazy (same can be said for students)) lazy (which is pretty much what you are saying).

Original post by Callicious
Mhm. Long holidays are worthless if you have no money to spend in them anyway xD

LOL. I mean better than 4-5 week holidays am I right but other than that yeah no thanks to being a secondary school teacher (primary school teachers work hard too btw), I'll say no to having to have good social skills and having to do lots of work outside official working hours, I like kids but nah no thanks for now.
(edited 2 years ago)
Still no response from the OP. Come on mate tell us whether you've had experiences of being a teacher before or spend enough time with school teachers/a school teacher to get a glimpse as how hard they work.

Latest

Trending

Trending