The Student Room Group

What do I do? (about online school during covid - 19)

I'm in y9. We've already started our GCSE syllabus, and my school isn't due to reopen till September, and we've been having online school. However, it's going terribly. I can't bear it. The online classes unproductive and I find it near impossible to listen to my teachers through a screen. I can't focus and find myself opening new tabs and getting distracted, even though I know I should be concentrating. I don't understanding what's going on in class. My teachers still expect the same amount of productivity and work as regular school, and I can't. Due to being at home, they're sending far more work.
My assignments and building up into mountains and as much as I try, my mind drifts off and I can't bring myself to do them. I have no motivation and find myself procastinating for hours. I'm so stressed out and I'm finding it impossible to focus and get a thing done. I'm not lazy, but there's something else going on.
My school therapist said I show symptoms of ADHD, but I'm not sure. I'm desperate to keep on top of things, but I'm finding it hard to organize myself and work properly. I can't tell my parents, they'll flip and freak out if they find out I haven't been working properly. I'm just terrified of falling behind, but I just can't get much done at all no matter how much I want too. I find myslef getting distracted really easily while at home, my attention span has vanished since this lockdown started. I'm so stuck and drowing in work and catchup, since I can't concentrate on an online class. I don't know what to do, I'm also petrified of being behind. Thanks.
It's much easier said than done, but really try not to panic about it as this could prevent you further from working. it sounds counter productive, but it might be useful to take a step back from school work for a moment and spend sometime doing something else e.g. reading a book, drawing etc. By allocating some time to do something you actually want to do, you might feel more focused when it comes to doing your school work.

Everybody's working strategies are different but one thing that helps me is to imagine a switch between 'work' and 'play' in my head. Decide whether you're going to just do work, or just rest, because sometimes by not making that clear decision with yourself, you're allowing yourself to get distracted. Remember it is important to have some you-time too though! So when you're mind is on the 'play' switch, make sure you are resting!
When I'm on my work mode I make sure to leave my phone in another room so I'm not tempted to use it.

As for getting the work done itself, I recommend trying to make a small plan of what you need to get done. At the start of the week I get my planner out and write what I plan to do each day, splitting my tasks up. The key here is to be realistic with your planning! Don't set huge amounts of work, knowing it's going to be difficult to complete because it'll make you feel disheartened and unmotivated! By dividing your work into manageable chunks across the week you can see that if you stay on task, you will get it all complete and this can be really reassuring. Once you've done the work you've set out, allow yourself to have a break. Take a breather and assure yourself you'll get everything done by assessing your plan.

If you're struggling with the work or the workload itself make sure you contact your teachers as they can't help you with this if they don't know. Look at further online resources to consolidate your understanding if you're unsure. Find what revision techniques work best for you.

You're only in Year 9 so you've got plenty of time till your GCSE's. It's good to be on track but don't be too hard on yourself!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
I think everyone is in the same boat right now with regards to not really knowing what's going on! I would say set yourself a routine so you can do small amounts of work or revision at a time so it doesn't all become too overwhelming! Make sure you keep speaking to people too if you're feeling stressed! Have a read of this article too this may give you some useful tips for managing your workload :smile: https://www.whatuni.com/advice/student-life/top-gcse-revision-tips-and-techniques/83434/
Reply 3
Original post by georgiag22
It's much easier said than done, but really try not to panic about it as this could prevent you further from working. it sounds counter productive, but it might be useful to take a step back from school work for a moment and spend sometime doing something else e.g. reading a book, drawing etc. By allocating some time to do something you actually want to do, you might feel more focused when it comes to doing your school work.

Everybody's working strategies are different but one thing that helps me is to imagine a switch between 'work' and 'play' in my head. Decide whether you're going to just do work, or just rest, because sometimes by not making that clear decision with yourself, you're allowing yourself to get distracted. Remember it is important to have some you-time too though! So when you're mind is on the 'play' switch, make sure you are resting!
When I'm on my work mode I make sure to leave my phone in another room so I'm not tempted to use it.

As for getting the work done itself, I recommend trying to make a small plan of what you need to get done. At the start of the week I get my planner out and write what I plan to do each day, splitting my tasks up. The key here is to be realistic with your planning! Don't set huge amounts of work, knowing it's going to be difficult to complete because it'll make you feel disheartened and unmotivated! By dividing your work into manageable chunks across the week you can see that if you stay on task, you will get it all complete and this can be really reassuring. Once you've done the work you've set out, allow yourself to have a break. Take a breather and assure yourself you'll get everything done by assessing your plan.

If you're struggling with the work or the workload itself make sure you contact your teachers as they can't help you with this if they don't know. Look at further online resources to consolidate your understanding if you're unsure. Find what revision techniques work best for you.

You're only in Year 9 so you've got plenty of time till your GCSE's. It's good to be on track but don't be too hard on yourself!

lol i ended up doing rubbish in my gcses, largely because i never fully recovered from how poorly i functioned during online school. luckily i'm predicted a*a*a now though. turns out i do have adhd...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending