The Student Room Group

2022 Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AvaT2291
I applied on October 12th - just before the Oxbridge deadline so I have sat the admissions test for Imperial already.

Ah ok. Any reason you applied early? I am also on hold for Imperial
Original post by JonGeo1152
Ah ok. Any reason you applied early? I am also on hold for Imperial

Honestly, I just wanted to get it out of the way. It has given me the motivation to work hard!
Anyone know when Bath / Bristol will be giving out offers?
Original post by florakathefloor
Anyone know when Bath / Bristol will be giving out offers?

I know both Bristol and Bath have started giving out offers for the social sciences (business subjects, classic civilisation etc.), but they haven't for law yet, or maths for sure. Both of them will probably come within the next month I'm assuming.
Reply 24
Original post by florakathefloor
Engineering at Cambridge (Awaiting a Decision)
Aerospace Engineering: Imperial ( A*A*A* Offer) Bath Bristol (hold) Southampton (AA Offer)
A Levels: A* Maths Achieved, 3A*s in Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
GCSEs: They're irrelevant who even cares about them anymore
Extracurriculars: Lectures/Books/MOOCSs/Projects around 3 topics (Fluid Mechanics and its Biological Applications, Aerodynamic Testing, Propulsion)

Any Questions i'm more than happy to answer :smile:

Hi flora. I’m a current year 12 student in the middle of a level and I want to apply for aerospace. I want to do some research into to topics and extra curricular things but not sure where to start. Would you be able to dm me some how? LinkedIn perhaps or instagram?
Original post by uferas
Hi flora. I’m a current year 12 student in the middle of a level and I want to apply for aerospace. I want to do some research into to topics and extra curricular things but not sure where to start. Would you be able to dm me some how? LinkedIn perhaps or instagram?

We can conversate here if that's fine with you

For super-curriculars related to Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering a couple things i'd strongly recommend I'll bullet point below

Nuffield Research Placement: Essentially 3/4 of my 2nd Paragraph, really useful and a good way to research something you're interested in with a qualified supervisor. [Plus you get money for doing it]

Looking at 1st/2nd Year modules and lightly researching around them, following it up with picking perhaps a couple modules you're especially interested in. Doing this provides a good pivot as to how you can structure your PS In my case it was Propulsion, Fluid Mechanics, Aerodynamic Testing and Flight Mechanics.

A book I recommend would be Understanding Flight by W. Anderson though as a preliminary I would look at short introductions to some of the chapters. For instance the concept of lift took me a while to grasp as there was a couple fiddly questions I had. Note: You don't need to finish the book, reading chapters you're interested in is sufficient.

Any out-sourced course related university events that you may possibly benefit from. This includes lectures, summer placements, Lab placements is a couple i participated in

Finally summer schools [Sutton Trust & UNIQ]. If you're eligible these are very useful and can be used really nicely as a segway to other things in your PS. They also look nice

Any questions let me know :smile:
So many aero applicants, so little on TSR!
Reply 27
IB Student here
PG: 38, 6 Math AA HL, 7 Comp Sci HL, 7 Physics HL

Bristol
Southampton
Swansea
Edinburgh/Glasgow (I know Edinburgh doesn't do AE)
Sheffield

Engineering summer course
Job experience as a car mechanic

Hey everyone! Does anybody have any ideas of what are my chances of getting accepted to the above schools with my grades? I wanted to also apply to Bath but I'm worried that I won't get offers. If anybody know please help.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi, I’m deciding between Chemistry or Computer Science for A Levels, to go into aerospace. Which one would be more useful? (I’m definitely going for physics, maths and further maths)
Original post by short man
Hi, I’m deciding between Chemistry or Computer Science for A Levels, to go into aerospace. Which one would be more useful? (I’m definitely going for physics, maths and further maths)

I'm currently doing aero eng at uni, comp sci would be more useful as there's a lot of coding but both could be useful in different ways.
Reply 30
Original post by AlevelMaths16
Aerospace and aeronautical engineering

Uni of Cambridge, Leeds, Bristol, Central Lancashire and Wolverhampton

AAAB

6-week pre-engineering program
4 future learn courses
2 summer schools
2 virtual engineering work experience
1 engineering taster degree.

Hi. Could u provide me with some more details of these courses and ur extracurricular pls. What exactly did u do?
Original post by Crowley63
I'm currently doing aero eng at uni, comp sci would be more useful as there's a lot of coding but both could be useful in different ways.

Thank you! Have you struggled with anything related to chemistry in your course?
Thank you! Have you struggled with anything related to chemistry in your course?

We’ve only really covered materials and a very small amount specifically about fuel and other liquids used in aero eng. There’s not been much above anything GCSE level chem on my course. (The focus is pretty much all on the physics and maths)
(edited 2 years ago)

Not a big difference further mathematics will be the best preparation.
We’ve only really covered materials and a very small amount specifically about fuel and other liquids used in aero eng. There’s not been much above anything GCSE level chem on my course. (The focus is pretty much all on the physics and maths)

Ok, thank you very much! Can I ask what uni you go to, if that’s okay?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mnot
Not a big difference further mathematics will be the best preparation.

Thanks for the clarity!

P.s. love your Toto profile pic :biggrin:
Ok, thank you very much! Can I ask what uni you go to, if that’s okay?

I go to an a poly that’s pretty good for engineering
I go to an a poly that’s pretty good for engineering

Cool, thank you!
Bath or Sheffield for aerospace?
Original post by ZofiaBosak
Bath or Sheffield for aerospace?

Bath

Quick Reply

Latest