The Student Room Group

2022 Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZofiaBosak
Bath or Sheffield for aerospace?

Both are very good universities, the reputation & careers opportunities are going to be pretty much the same. Id put it down to where you want to live, type of city/geography/cost of living/travel/hobbies available.
Original post by florakathefloor
Engineering at Cambridge (Awaiting a Decision)
Aerospace Engineering: Imperial ( A*A*A* Offer) Bath Bristol (hold) Southampton (AA Offer)
A Levels: A* Maths Achieved, 3A*s in Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
GCSEs: They're irrelevant who even cares about them anymore
Extracurriculars: Lectures/Books/MOOCSs/Projects around 3 topics (Fluid Mechanics and its Biological Applications, Aerodynamic Testing, Propulsion)

Any Questions i'm more than happy to answer :smile:

Hi, I’m currently in y11 picking my A levels. Do you think Maths, chemistry and economy are good to get me into mechanical or aerospace engineering in uni? I know physics is a big advantage but many people say it’s very hard, right now I’m at a grade 8 in my mocks for physics, but I don’t know if I would be able to do it at A levels. Do you think I can get away with doing chem or should I do physics and am I able to cope with it. Thank you
Original post by beast1123
Hi, I’m currently in y11 picking my A levels. Do you think Maths, chemistry and economy are good to get me into mechanical or aerospace engineering in uni? I know physics is a big advantage but many people say it’s very hard, right now I’m at a grade 8 in my mocks for physics, but I don’t know if I would be able to do it at A levels. Do you think I can get away with doing chem or should I do physics and am I able to cope with it. Thank you

Physics is a requirement for most universities, frankly if you want to study engineering at university you will have to learn to understand the physics. No point trying to swerve it if you want to pursue mechanical or aerospace.
Original post by mnot
Physics is a requirement for most universities, frankly if you want to study engineering at university you will have to learn to understand the physics. No point trying to swerve it if you want to pursue mechanical or aerospace.

Thanks for replying. Do you think that physics at A level is very hard? I’m pretty good at all sciences right now I’m at an 8 at physics. there’s some unis like the university of Birmingham which requires AAA with 2A’s being in maths or another science. Also, is chem a level harder than physics?
Thanks for replying. Do you think that physics at A level is very hard? I’m pretty good at all sciences right now I’m at an 8 at physics. there’s some unis like the university of Birmingham which requires AAA with 2A’s being in maths or another science. Also, is chem a level harder than physics?

I (several years ago) did maths, further maths, physics & biology.

I found bio hardest & maths easiest, but it’s different for everyone. But if you want to study the types of engineering you want I don’t think you should be looking to dodge physics, when your effectively wanting to study an applied physics degree. You will encounter electrical systems & classical mechanics in far far more detail in mech/aero engineering so getting used to them at A-level is probably better.
Yeah, I’m not worried about maths tbh I’ll be able to do it at a level hopefully. Thanks a lot for your tips I understand now that physics is a big advantage for engineering. Tomorrow I will speak to my teachers and find out what they think then finalise my decision. I understand it’s going to be much easier if I study physics now in the long run.
Original post by short man
Hi, I’m deciding between Chemistry or Computer Science for A Levels, to go into aerospace. Which one would be more useful? (I’m definitely going for physics, maths and further maths)

For me, definitely computer science. I found organic chemistry so so boring for GCSE and the a level is full of that from what I've heard from my friends. Computer science is a lot more fun cause you get to do project work as well.
Yeah, I’m not worried about maths tbh I’ll be able to do it at a level hopefully. Thanks a lot for your tips I understand now that physics is a big advantage for engineering. Tomorrow I will speak to my teachers and find out what they think then finalise my decision. I understand it’s going to be much easier if I study physics now in the long run.

Physics is a must for engineering, you can do further maths and if you find it difficult, you can drop it in year 13. By that time, you would have covered the whole of the single a level maths content, at least that's how it works at my school. Then you can spend the rest of the year focusing on your 2 a levels because you finished maths already
What sort of questions did you get asked in the interview?
Original post by florakathefloor
Engineering at Cambridge (Awaiting a Decision)
Aerospace Engineering: Imperial ( A*A*A* Offer) Bath Bristol (hold) Southampton (AA Offer)
A Levels: A* Maths Achieved, 3A*s in Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
GCSEs: They're irrelevant who even cares about them anymore
Extracurriculars: Lectures/Books/MOOCSs/Projects around 3 topics (Fluid Mechanics and its Biological Applications, Aerodynamic Testing, Propulsion)

Any Questions i'm more than happy to answer :smile:

what sort of questions did you get asked in the interview?
Original post by mnot
Welcome to the '22 Aero applicants thread!

Feel free to introduce yourself with these icebreaker questions:

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
(Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.)

Currently studying math with two STEM subjects design tech: product design and psychology.
sounds awful but my school wouldn’t let me do physics with math because of my average grade which I think is irrelevant.
i have found atleast 3 uni that are willing to take on people without physics and my combination of subjects. I’m curious if there are any uni that would take me on for aerospace with these combination of subjects? Russel?
Original post by Mr.Lunatic
For me, definitely computer science. I found organic chemistry so so boring for GCSE and the a level is full of that from what I've heard from my friends. Computer science is a lot more fun cause you get to do project work as well.

Yeah, that’s what I heard too. Thanks!
Original post by Waleedmwk
Currently studying math with two STEM subjects design tech: product design and psychology.
sounds awful but my school wouldn’t let me do physics with math because of my average grade which I think is irrelevant.
i have found atleast 3 uni that are willing to take on people without physics and my combination of subjects. I’m curious if there are any uni that would take me on for aerospace with these combination of subjects? Russel?

Most will probably want you to do a foundation year. For aerospace maths, FM & physics are really the only super relevant subjects to the actual degree.

I tend to think of psychology as more of a life science then STEM but if the course accepts it, that’s all that really matters to you.
Little bit late but oh well

Aerospace/ aeronautical engineering

-Imperial
-Nottingham (offer)
-Bath
-Southampton (offer)
-Manchester

A level predictions: A*AAA

Extra curricular - cricket :smile:
Original post by Annaesteph

-Imperial
-Nottingham (offer)
-Bath
-Southampton (offer)
-Manchester

Ay nice! Have imperial invited you to interview yet?
Original post by Annaesteph

-Imperial
-Nottingham (offer)
-Bath
-Southampton (offer)
-Manchester

what a-levels do you do?
Original post by jray204
Ay nice! Have imperial invited you to interview yet?

Not yet hoping to hear about the admissions exam this week
Original post by timoteechalamey
what a-levels do you do?

Chemistry physics French and maths
Reply 58
Thought I'd Meet Some Aero people so here goes:

Aerospace/Aeronautics

-Imperial
-Bristol (Hold)
-Bath
-Leeds (Unconditional)
-Nottingham (Unconditional)

3A* Achieved in Maths, Physics Economics
Gap Year Studying Further Maths (Predicted A)

Extra Curriculars: MIT Opencourseware Stuff/Understanding Flight/Work Experience in Rail Industry
Football Golf Tennis ( the ones unis couldn't care less about lol)

If anyone has bristol or bath offers please let me know interested in if they've started rolling them out at all

Good Luck all!
Original post by Wazie
Thought I'd Meet Some Aero people so here goes:

Aerospace/Aeronautics

-Imperial
-Bristol (Hold)
-Bath
-Leeds (Unconditional)
-Nottingham (Unconditional)

3A* Achieved in Maths, Physics Economics
Gap Year Studying Further Maths (Predicted A)

Extra Curriculars: MIT Opencourseware Stuff/Understanding Flight/Work Experience in Rail Industry
Football Golf Tennis ( the ones unis couldn't care less about lol)

If anyone has bristol or bath offers please let me know interested in if they've started rolling them out at all

Good Luck all!

Have you heard back from Imperial?

Quick Reply

Latest