The Student Room Group

2022 Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by JonGeo1152
Have you heard back from Imperial?

they sent an email 11th Jan saying they processed my application and it has been sent to the aero department for consideration but that was their last communication with me.
Original post by Wazie
Thought I'd Meet Some Aero people so here goes:

Aerospace/Aeronautics

-Imperial
-Bristol (Hold)
-Bath
-Leeds (Unconditional)
-Nottingham (Unconditional)

3A* Achieved in Maths, Physics Economics
Gap Year Studying Further Maths (Predicted A)

Extra Curriculars: MIT Opencourseware Stuff/Understanding Flight/Work Experience in Rail Industry
Football Golf Tennis ( the ones unis couldn't care less about lol)

If anyone has bristol or bath offers please let me know interested in if they've started rolling them out at all

Good Luck all!

Have you heard from Imperial or Bath yet? Also doing aero and I have an offer for Notts too
Reply 62
Original post by Annaesteph
Have you heard from Imperial or Bath yet? Also doing aero and I have an offer for Notts too

Nothing from Bath yet and imperial just confirmed that they sent my application to the department.
Rejected from Bristol with A*A*A, Maths, Physics, FM
Original post by The_million
Rejected from Bristol with A*A*A, Maths, Physics, FM

Really sorry to hear that. Did they give any detailed feedback or just the generic "your application wasn't ranked as highly as others etc"? Ik two people in my school who got rejected and both surpassed the grade requirements as well.
Really sorry to hear that. Did they give any detailed feedback or just the generic "your application wasn't ranked as highly as others etc"? Ik two people in my school who got rejected and both surpassed the grade requirements as well.

Yeah the just said about ranking. Im assuming its very competitive this year.
Reply 66
Just got an offer from Bath :smile:. Now just waiting for Bristol and Imperial.
Original post by snath2
Just got an offer from Bath :smile:. Now just waiting for Bristol and Imperial.

Same just got one from Bath!
Reply 68
Same just got one from Bath!

Congrats! What was your offer?
Original post by snath2
Congrats! What was your offer?

A*AA you?
Reply 70
A*AA you?

IB 36 points, with 766 at higher level.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 71
A*AA you?

What do you think your first choice uni is?
Original post by snath2
What do you think your first choice uni is?

If I get it, Imperial. If not I am not sure. I want to visit the unis before I nake up my mind. You?
Reply 73
If I get it, Imperial. If not I am not sure. I want to visit the unis before I nake up my mind. You?

Yh same. If I get an offer, most likely imperial. I’m hearing the offer they are giving for aero are really high this year as well. Hopefully I see you there :smile:. Good luck! Probably the offer decision are coming in March for both Bristol and imperial.
Original post by snath2
Yh same. If I get an offer, most likely imperial. I’m hearing the offer they are giving for aero are really high this year as well. Hopefully I see you there :smile:. Good luck! Probably the offer decision are coming in March for both Bristol and imperial.

hi! what a levels did you do to get an offer?
Reply 75
Original post by timoteechalamey
hi! what a levels did you do to get an offer?

I don’t do a levels but do IB, where for my highers (which are the only ones uni look at), I did Maths, Physics and Computer Science. For a level, I believe you have to do Maths and Physics (some uni says further maths is preferable but by no means required, as aero is a maths heavy degree).
Original post by florakathefloor
We can conversate here if that's fine with you

For super-curriculars related to Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering a couple things i'd strongly recommend I'll bullet point below

Nuffield Research Placement: Essentially 3/4 of my 2nd Paragraph, really useful and a good way to research something you're interested in with a qualified supervisor. [Plus you get money for doing it]

Looking at 1st/2nd Year modules and lightly researching around them, following it up with picking perhaps a couple modules you're especially interested in. Doing this provides a good pivot as to how you can structure your PS In my case it was Propulsion, Fluid Mechanics, Aerodynamic Testing and Flight Mechanics.

A book I recommend would be Understanding Flight by W. Anderson though as a preliminary I would look at short introductions to some of the chapters. For instance the concept of lift took me a while to grasp as there was a couple fiddly questions I had. Note: You don't need to finish the book, reading chapters you're interested in is sufficient.

Any out-sourced course related university events that you may possibly benefit from. This includes lectures, summer placements, Lab placements is a couple i participated in

Finally summer schools [Sutton Trust & UNIQ]. If you're eligible these are very useful and can be used really nicely as a segway to other things in your PS. They also look nice

Any questions let me know :smile:

Hi! do you think If I don't fo further maths (instead I am choosing maths, physics, chem and economics) do I have a chance to get into a uni like Cambridge or imperial? also, by aerospace at Imperial do you mean aeronautics? or are they the same?
Reply 77
Original post by beast1123
Hi, I’m currently in y11 picking my A levels. Do you think Maths, chemistry and economy are good to get me into mechanical or aerospace engineering in uni? I know physics is a big advantage but many people say it’s very hard, right now I’m at a grade 8 in my mocks for physics, but I don’t know if I would be able to do it at A levels. Do you think I can get away with doing chem or should I do physics and am I able to cope with it. Thank you

All work is difficult, make time. I suggest A-Level Mathematics, Physics and then Chemistry/Further Mathematics as your third.
Original post by Annaesteph
Chemistry physics French and maths

I’ve applied for aero engineering and do french physics and maths aswell. It’s quite a rare combination to see others doing, best of luck!!
Original post by timoteechalamey
Hi! do you think If I don't fo further maths (instead I am choosing maths, physics, chem and economics) do I have a chance to get into a uni like Cambridge or imperial? also, by aerospace at Imperial do you mean aeronautics? or are they the same?

You generally wouldn't. I applied to Cambridge four years ago and I got rejected. Then I asked for my application feedback and in the feedback they said that something like 80% of their engineering applicants do further maths, so basically if you don't do further maths, you'll be at a huge disadvantage when you apply for any science or engineering based subjects at Cambridge even if further maths is not really a requirement.

People don't know what they are getting themselves into. I am going to graduate this year with a bachelors in aeronautics and astronautics and the whole course is a literal nightmare. It is so intense. You would have to do assignments/homework almost every week and you would be expected to learn the content very quickly and understand it very well in a matter of a few months. Basically, imagine learning two years worth of A-Level content in four months. That's basically what uni workload is like. You are also expected to do well in all of the exams even though you have very little time to prepare. There's almost no time for revision. It's almost like you have to learn and revise at the same time.

Basically, there's a reason why they have high entry requirements and in my opinion they should be even higher, because the course could honestly be a nightmare if you are not ready. The exams are ridiculously hard and they always come up with questions that you haven't seen before to make it challenging. At A-Level the questions repeat and you can get away with memorizing stuff, but at uni, it's much harder.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest