The Student Room Group

2022 Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering applicants

Scroll to see replies

Can't comment for Cambridge but definitely not necessary for imperial! I got shortlisted without doing it and many people got offers without it. Depends on your interview and AMAT (admission test) score. Only required subjects are maths and physics at A* level.
5 in all AP calculus AB and BC, Physics C Mechanics, Physics C E&M, Chemistry and CSP

I apllied a lot but unfortunately i only received Meng offer from Manchester and Sheffield.
And i met some problems to choose which one of them to go. By the way, i am an international student and i prefer to stay in UK after graduating(though i konw it is difficult hhh).
Original post by CHENHERUI03
5 in all AP calculus AB and BC, Physics C Mechanics, Physics C E&M, Chemistry and CSP

I apllied a lot but unfortunately i only received Meng offer from Manchester and Sheffield.
And i met some problems to choose which one of them to go. By the way, i am an international student and i prefer to stay in UK after graduating(though i konw it is difficult hhh).

Manchester & Sheffield are still excellent opportunities.

Sheffield uni researchers were the people behind the development of ansys fluent which is probably the world’s leading cfd (computational fluid dynamics) tool, which is one of the very big areas in aerospace.
anyone heard back from bristol? (excluding contextual and internation students)
Original post by cronkmax

I am still on hold but two of my friends in school got rejected and offered an alt course
(edited 2 years ago)

Was rejected and got offered an alt course. They seem to be rejected more than normal this year, people with much higher predicted grades too. Something to do with last years mess up apparently? Not sure
Original post by jray204
Was rejected and got offered an alt course. They seem to be rejected more than normal this year, people with much higher predicted grades too. Something to do with last years mess up apparently? Not sure

May I ask what your stats are? A-Levels, predicted grades and GCSEs?
Original post by jray204

what happened last year? also what course did they offer you?
Original post by JonGeo1152
I am still on hold but two of my friends in school got rejected and offered an alt course

still on hold aswell, i applied right back in oct haha, you mind me asking your stats?
still on hold aswell, i applied right back in oct haha, you mind me asking your stats?

Maths Fm Physics
3A*s
GCSEs: Seven 9s, three 8s and two 7s

Also applied in October

What are your stats?
What are your stats?

six 9s, four 8s and a 7 at gcse
applied with A*A*A*A predicted in Maths, Phys, Comp Sci and Further maths respectively although ive now dropped further hahahah.
Hi everyone, I'm an international student with the following statsA*A*A*A* predicted
all 9s in GCSEs
My ECs are: Stanford course on special theory of relativity, Coding project, books i've read on aero, chatting with a highly reputed professor on aero, MUN
I have applied to ICL (had interview), Bath( received offer) and UoManchester(no reply)

I was extremely nervous about my chances for imperial aeronautical, it's just that my interview was sort of meh as he asked a super technical question but I did well on my AMAT I think (although I couldn't see my score, I calculated and realised that it would be upwards of 250 around the 270-310 mark)Do you think the interview can hamper my chances badly ( he was very nice and even said he hopes he sees me on campus next year)
Thanks for listening to my rant
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by mr_thomas_tuchel
Hi everyone, I'm an international student with the following statsA*A*A*A* predicted
all 9s in GCSEs
My ECs are: Stanford course on special theory of relativity, Coding project, books i've read on aero, chatting with a highly reputed professor on aero, MUN

I do not know what "EC" or "MUN" means but you will almost never use relativity in most aeronautical courses. The only time it could come up is if you did space modules and there may be some notes that explain corrections to space satellite trajectories. Having said that, you will come across tensors (namely the stress tensor) and Einstein notation (e.g. Navier-Stokes equations), so if you came across these it may help you better understand that material.

Coding is useful up to a point. Many universities will teach MATLAB, a basic language such as C and additional software such as CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) and FEA (Finite Element Analysis) products which may require basic scripting skills. You should develop your programming skills anyway as Machine Learning/ Data Science becomes more popular in industry, although uptake in Engineering is usually slower paced. Developing those software products will also require strong programming language (probably C++).

Difficult to say if what you read has any relevance on the actual course but it does show interest which would help. The following textbooks are used in some universities:
Engineering Maths - Stroud
Advanced Engineering Maths - Stroud
Aerodynamics - Anderson
Thermodynamics - Cengel and Boyle

I have applied to ICL (had interview), Bath( received offer) and UoManchester(no reply)

I was extremely nervous about my chances for imperial aeronautical, it's just that my interview was sort of meh as he asked a super technical question but I did well on my AMAT I think (although I couldn't see my score, I calculated and realised that it would be upwards of 250 around the 270-310 mark)Do you think the interview can hamper my chances badly ( he was very nice and even said he hopes he sees me on campus next year)

I do not know what "AMAT" is but they will make a decision on a combination of factors. No one here can really tell you whether the interview was "good" or "bad" nor how much weighting it has on the selection criteria. I would say that an interview has a significant weighting on the selection criteria but it is just an educated guess.

It is difficult to comment on the technical question because you did not state what question was asked.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mr_thomas_tuchel
all 9s in GCSEs

That is a really high AMAT score. They do consider the interview more than the AMAT but with such a high score, I really doubt you will get rejected. I got 144 for reference and that was considered a good score
six 9s, four 8s and a 7 at gcse
applied with A*A*A*A predicted in Maths, Phys, Comp Sci and Further maths respectively although ive now dropped further hahahah.

Both the guys at my school who got rejected were also predicted A in fm and not A*. Seems like they are being very selective this year
Both the guys at my school who got rejected were also predicted A in fm and not A*. Seems like they are being very selective this year

fairly sure if they were going to reject me on that, i wouldve had it a while back. Also unis cant reject based on further maths because many schools dont offer it at all which would put those students at a disadvantage. so im still optimistic hahaha, but youre right with them being selective.
fairly sure if they were going to reject me on that, i wouldve had it a while back. Also unis cant reject based on further maths because many schools dont offer it at all which would put those students at a disadvantage. so im still optimistic hahaha, but youre right with them being selective.

Universities can reject on further maths, if a student doesn’t take or meet the pre-requisites that’s not the universities problem, that said if you cannot take further maths almost all universities will still consider you with a different offer (although due to the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme, I believe their is resources in place so anyone can take further maths if they want to they just need to get their school to register at the AMSP).
Reply 98
Just got an offer for Aeronautical Engineering at imperial!!! :smile:
Original post by snath2
Just got an offer for Aeronautical Engineering at imperial!!! :smile:

Same!!

Quick Reply

Latest