The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

What years do they take into account for your degree class? Is it just your 3rd and 4th years or is it your GPA from all years? Can't seem to get an answer off the site.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 381
probably depends on the course
i know that in mine third year is worth 40% and fourth year worth 60%
It's never been fully explained to me either, but I can't see how they'd use your first 2 years - you either get all the credits or you don't. As for GPA I'm not entirely sure, although as far as I know it's only there to ensure you put a good effort into all your courses throughout L1 and L2.

I would imagine 4th year counts heavily, dissertation and all.
Depends on the course and the faculty. Arts tend to not use GPA, they prefer the 22 point marking scale (where 18/22 average and above is a first), and its almost always your honours years, i.e. 3rd and 4th. Most courses have something on third year, but it varies from a 50/50 split to a 20/80 one. Sciences are a bit more GPA orientated, but I remember being told by my adviser (a lecturer in French) that arts weren't going down that route.
0404343m
Depends on the course and the faculty. Arts tend to not use GPA, they prefer the 22 point marking scale (where 18/22 average and above is a first), and its almost always your honours years, i.e. 3rd and 4th. Most courses have something on third year, but it varies from a 50/50 split to a 20/80 one. Sciences are a bit more GPA orientated, but I remember being told by my adviser (a lecturer in French) that arts weren't going down that route.

So do you think that my GPA from 3rd and 4th year is what probably will decide my class? (i'm in Science by the way)
Rizzletastic
So do you think that my GPA from 3rd and 4th year is what probably will decide my class? (i'm in Science by the way)

More than likely. What subject is it?
0404343m
More than likely. What subject is it?

Genetics
Rizzletastic
Genetics

http://www.gla.ac.uk/ibls/US/L4/CID/genetics4h/cid.pdf

Page 4. Genetics looks like all 100% (unless you do a works placement year) is on your final year results.
My department takes the average of your eight (I think) overall marks (so core courses, dissertation, options) in the form of the 22-point scale from your third and fourth years. Geography takes from arts, social sciences and the science faculties so using different systems would probably just confuse everyone.
University departments are quite autonomous in this respect- history go 50/50, 3rd year being an average of the six equally weighted modules (I ended up with 17.7/22), then fourth year being an average of the three modules, although they're all weighted differently (I ended up with 20.5), then averaged for a final score (19.1), which they then move back onto the 22 point scale (i.e. on the A3-A4 band, which equals a first). While weightings are all different, much is still the same: If you end up with an average across your modules which count for your degree (once readjusted for their weight) of over 18/22, regardless of the department, you WILL get a first. If you finish between 17.1 and 17.9 (and statistically, half of firsts do), then they can pull you up or down as they see fit.
0404343m
http://www.gla.ac.uk/ibls/US/L4/CID/genetics4h/cid.pdf

Page 4. Genetics looks like all 100% (unless you do a works placement year) is on your final year results.

Brilliant thanks.
I believe this needs a bump up a touch.

Where is everyone? I'm on my third nightshift in a row out of four. :sad:
I'm still around university doing interviews for my dissertation. My life is that exciting!
TheOneWho
I'm still around university doing interviews for my dissertation. My life is that exciting!

I won the dissertation prize for mines (although they've yet to send the cheque out), so that made it all worthwhile! Despite the fact I held an unconditional offer for my postgrad before I even sat my exams (so the university knew I'd be back) they've still banned me from the library until pre-registration, and there's some stuff I'd like to have a look at. Now I need to email the bloody registry to get me set up again for the sake of eight weeks- gah!
0404343m
I won the dissertation prize for mines (although they've yet to send the cheque out), so that made it all worthwhile! Despite the fact I held an unconditional offer for my postgrad before I even sat my exams (so the university knew I'd be back) they've still banned me from the library until pre-registration, and there's some stuff I'd like to have a look at. Now I need to email the bloody registry to get me set up again for the sake of eight weeks- gah!

Oh well done! I know the person who won my department's not last year but the year before. How much do you get? But, but, but the library! They can't ban you! Good luck with the registry, in my experience they're not the speediest of people. If you need any specific books let me know and I'll see if I can get them for you.
*curious* What's the deal with prizes at the uni?
sparklysparkles
*curious* What's the deal with prizes at the uni?

Most departments will give small prizes to students who perform the best in the year. For dissertations there is usually a 'best dissertation' prize. It's usually not a great amount of money.
TheOneWho
Most departments will give small prizes to students who perform the best in the year. For dissertations there is usually a 'best dissertation' prize. It's usually not a great amount of money.

Mines was £500, and I got a book token for something aswell- although the last part was more to do with my work in the department rather than the dissertation. They're all endowed through different funds, it just so happens that the dissertation prize in history is worth the most money out of just about any prize in the faculty- so I can't complain!

Actually, I can, its been four weeks and its still not arrived.
TheOneWho
Oh well done! I know the person who won my department's not last year but the year before. How much do you get? But, but, but the library! They can't ban you! Good luck with the registry, in my experience they're not the speediest of people. If you need any specific books let me know and I'll see if I can get them for you.

Cheers. I've still got e-book access, and some of the staff (including one vice dean of faculty) I know very well- so I currently have one of their copies of the book that I wanted! Apparently this shouldn't be a problem to set up, but I'm betting the registry could find something to go wrong...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending