The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5480
Anyone know if the Fraser building will be open today? Just need to chuck a form in a box, don't need to see anyone. As far as I can tell the website only gives the cafe and student services opening hours.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by conway!
Anyone know if the Fraser building will be open today? Just need to chuck a form in a box, don't need to see anyone. As far as I can tell the website only gives the cafe and student services opening hours.

It didn't look open on the way past this morning. You tend to struggle to get anything out of term time open- I'm in the library and aside from a couple of security guards, there are no admin or catering staff. I assume that probably means everywhere else is shut.
Reply 5482
Original post by 0404343m
It didn't look open on the way past this morning. You tend to struggle to get anything out of term time open- I'm in the library and aside from a couple of security guards, there are no admin or catering staff. I assume that probably means everywhere else is shut.

Thanks, glad I didn't bother with the 3 hour round trip then! Just posted it. This is getting confusing though, I have so many people I need to talk to over summer and none of them are there.
Original post by conway!
Thanks, glad I didn't bother with the 3 hour round trip then! Just posted it. This is getting confusing though, I have so many people I need to talk to over summer and none of them are there.

Admin staff usually are, but academics, PhDs and post-docs tend to do research in the summer because there aren't classes to be taught. The lucky ones go somewhere, the others sit in the library and try to re-draft an article. *sadface*
Never got into Zoology Honours, but did get into Animal Biology DD. I asked and they said I can get back into Honours if I do well enough so I can atleast try but if I don't then I graduate with a degree which is alright in my book.
Reply 5485
Original post by Documental
Never got into Zoology Honours, but did get into Animal Biology DD. I asked and they said I can get back into Honours if I do well enough so I can atleast try but if I don't then I graduate with a degree which is alright in my book.

Well done :smile: I got my offer too. I know a couple of people who didn't even make it into designated for mvls :frown: they're being pretty harsh this year I think.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Sniggey
As my optional subject I'm keen on Gaelic, it was spoken by my grandparents but it didn't get passed down the generations and I feel that's a shame, I want to keep the language alive. I love the sound and rhythm of it, and I don't care that it has little use these days.

Marine & Freshwater Biology, I love my fishes! I'm aware a lot of it will be studying the level of salination in the upper Clyde and not Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus, but here's hoping... :colondollar:

What are you studying?

Aw Gaelic sounds like an awesome third subject, go for it! It is a good sound and that's a really cool reason to do it, if your grandparents spoke it.

I nearly applied for Marine & Freshwater - I was obsessed with sharks when I was younger, and I always had a vague idea I'd spend my adult life following them around the Bahamas in a boat or something... But in the end Genetics captured me :biggrin: I looooove genetics... So that's what I'm doing :smile:

I think Glasgow has the only combined Marine & Freshwater course in the UK, so that's a really unique selling point you'd have :smile:
Hey guys sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if at the beginning of the year during freshers week do you have a meeting with your advisor? Because I want to switch subjects (from an arts subject to a social science subject :/) I just don't know whether I'm going to have to make some sort of appointment. And the thing is that I don't even want to study the subject I chose anymore at all. Not even during first year :/ Do you think this is going to be a massive problem? haha thank you!! :smile:
Original post by Sniggey

Marine & Freshwater Biology, I love my fishes! I'm aware a lot of it will be studying the level of salination in the upper Clyde and not Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus, but here's hoping... :colondollar:

You never know what you'll find in the Clyde...
Original post by seashells~
Hey guys sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if at the beginning of the year during freshers week do you have a meeting with your advisor? Because I want to switch subjects (from an arts subject to a social science subject :/) I just don't know whether I'm going to have to make some sort of appointment. And the thing is that I don't even want to study the subject I chose anymore at all. Not even during first year :/ Do you think this is going to be a massive problem? haha thank you!! :smile:

I think you should have a meeting with an advisor either at the start of or just before Freshers, I can't remember... But I think you should be okay to change. Not sure about abandoning your subject entirely cos I don't think I know anyone who's done that, but tbh I don't see why you wouldn't be able to :smile:
Reply 5490
Original post by seashells~

You should have a meeting during the summer or during freshers. You should be able to swap, that isn't too much of a leap, one of my best friends went from English lit to electrical engineering during freshers. They were kinda like "wtf" but they let him do it cause he had like AAAAA at higher.

I've been told by my advisor now that even though I'm in Animal Biology, if I do well enough then I should get offered a place in 4th year.

Now all I have to contend with is SAAS, I spent half an hour on the phone to them today trying to get the course title on my application changed and when I finally got through they told me to send them an email.

I wasn't pleased.
Does anyone know if a student can change departments within the university, i.e. I am looking to get on a PGDE course at Glasgow University, the same place I am currently studying my final year of my degree choice?

I really do not want to apply through the GTTR to a university I currently am already registered in.
Reply 5493
So I'm confirmed to start Biochemistry in september, but I can't find any information on the free third subject choice. What sort of subject does people normally pick?
Reply 5494
Original post by jms
So I'm confirmed to start Biochemistry in september, but I can't find any information on the free third subject choice. What sort of subject does people normally pick?

There's a chart somewhere which shows Honours combinations. That's pretty much the third subjects you can do, because they want to make sure you have a pathway to honours if something goes wrong with another subject.
Reply 5495
Original post by jms

As long as you do Biology and Chemistry/Science Fundamentals, You can pick anything you want as your third. Popular choices are Level 1: Exploring the Cosmos, Psychology, Maths, Environmental Science, and Earth Science. But people have also been known to take a language, eg beginners Spanish, I know several people who took Economics as their third, or Politics.

Pretty much anything that's available to study at Level 1, you can take providing your timetable allows it, which is usually always the case.

Reply 5496
Original post by conway!
There's a chart somewhere which shows Honours combinations. That's pretty much the third subjects you can do, because they want to make sure you have a pathway to honours if something goes wrong with another subject.

Not in life sciences, most people's third subject is one which often leads no where such as exploring the cosmos or environmental science. These don't go past level 1 :P you can take anything you want that the uni offers at L1.

Reply 5497
Original post by LSD
Not in life sciences, most people's third subject is one which often leads no where such as exploring the cosmos or environmental science. These don't go past level 1 :P you can take anything you want that the uni offers at L1.

Aw weird, I was told I couldn't do environmental science because if I failed miserably at French or Italian, I couldn't do a language + environmental science as joint honours, so she made me pick one I could continue after 1st year (which led me to the horror that is Central and East European studies)
Reply 5498
Original post by conway!
Aw weird, I was told I couldn't do environmental science because if I failed miserably at French or Italian, I couldn't do a language + environmental science as joint honours, so she made me pick one I could continue after 1st year (which led me to the horror that is Central and East European studies)

Oh dear, they just expect life science students to love life sciences forever and never want to switch out. I took earth science as my third subject so technically I could have but there's no rule saying we need to be that prepared for failing biology :P we can change courses within life sciences but often can't go anywhere else except maybe chemistry.

I'm grasping at straws here, but does anyone have experience with Unite at Thurso Street? I've got a place there if I want it but I'm really unsure. It's between that and Queen Margaret but Thurso's location is much better and the room's are generally nicer etc.

Have to make a decision by tomorrow :frown: Any help at all would be great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending