The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Smashthemirror
Too right mate, and you're gonna get a lot more out the books if you are reading them with open mind, i.e taking a toke on certain substances every few pages or so :woo: :woo:

I'm finding it hard working getting through any book on list ATM cause I'm really getting into Hurt/Comfort fics.

At college I'd normally pop a few on USB stick and have cheeky read whilst we was in some of the quieter classes, never did me any harm !:eek3: :eek3: !

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Here mate just make sure you extinguish all reefers before you attend any lectures or seminars. :wink: I remember my mate forgot to before a seminar hahaha needless to say he was mangled. I still remind him to this day as needless to say his memory of that day was sketchy at best :biggrin:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
LETTHEPEOPLESING
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Here mate just make sure you extinguish all reefers before you attend any lectures or seminars. :wink: I remember my mate forgot to before a seminar hahaha needless to say he was mangled. I still remind him to this day as needless to say his memory of that day was sketchy at best :biggrin:

Hah hah hah. Sounds like he was totally :woo: mate.
Don't blame him though, I'm just waiting for them to sort out ******* student loan so I can go by bag of "books" and "do some reading" if you get my drift :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
Aye mate a was reading about those fuds at the Student Loan Company, there never seems to be a year goes by without those bams F-ing something up. The only thing that stops me from phoning the dobbers up to read them the riot act is the comforting fact that they'll never be seeing a penny of the student loan from me, hahaha let's just say I don't intend to stick around. :wink: :wink:

But mate I've got nothing but empathy for your plight as I'm in the same position hahahaha I need to buy books, pens, pencils, folders, books :wink: :wink: :wink: And more importantly I've beeing living off electric soup practically since May, and am no having a go at it as it does the trick - getting you blootered but ma tastes are a bit more distingished. :biggrin: :biggrin:
I buy all my english novels because I tend to scribble all over them. I bought my history semester two textbook last year and barely used it. I didn't buy my economics semester two textbook and it was so annoying because we seemed to use it a lot. If you've started your course and find that you would benefit from the book then get it but if you don't seem to be wanting/needing it at all then don't bother.
I think I found a contender for the Most Lost Fresher Award today.

I was in class in a very random room in the Western Infirmary - they call it a "lecture theatre" but it's tiny, it used to be an operating theatre. Halfway through class, a girl came in looking for her geography lecture. :eek: It's not even as if this is a room you could stumble on by chance, it's up down many long corridors and up stairs, in the same building as the geriatric wards!
Bless. Lol!

I had to find the Kelvin Building today and I was amazed that I didn't get lost cos it seems to be in such a random place. I did get confused on how to get out of it though.

Argh I have to leave soon for History at 4. I think it's a bad idea for me to come home inbetween classes because then I'll just want to stay here. So cosy :o:
Stace-is-Ace
Bless. Lol!

I had to find the Kelvin Building today and I was amazed that I didn't get lost cos it seems to be in such a random place. I did get confused on how to get out of it though.

Argh I have to leave soon for History at 4. I think it's a bad idea for me to come home inbetween classes because then I'll just want to stay here. So cosy :o:

Yo, do you want me to check the NHS24 records for you? I'd need details if I did, so if you think the nurse was out of order or you were given bad advice let me know.
Well I didn't do too badly contending for that award... went round and round the Adam Smith building looking for room T309 for about 15 minutes before finally finding someone at the enquiries desk. To cap it off, it turns out the room doesn't exist! (I had misread and was actually meant to be in room T304)
Argh freshers everywhere! They need to understand not to block stairs/paths/doorways!
0404343m
Yo, do you want me to check the NHS24 records for you? I'd need details if I did, so if you think the nurse was out of order or you were given bad advice let me know.

Tbh I think she was just a bit short with me saying I was feeling faint because I wasn't eating even though I had eaten that day. Oh well! I'm more annoyed that people think I was pretending to be sick :mad:

How're you feeling today? You weren't looking too healthy last night :o:
sparklysparkles
Well I didn't do too badly contending for that award... went round and round the Adam Smith building looking for room T309 for about 15 minutes before finally finding someone at the enquiries desk. To cap it off, it turns out the room doesn't exist! (I had misread and was actually meant to be in room T304)

You've really got to love the ASB for not being able to find places and having a stupid number of floors. I have lectures in there now and it takes FOREVER to get there/leave.
sparklysparkles
Well, the contract law in Scotland is *only* £80 (I've been investigating further since my first comment!). Unfortunately most of the library's copies of the books we need are in the short loans as well...

:eek:

Contract Law in Scotland 2nd Edition, MacQueen and Thomson?

I got that for ~£35 IIRC

EDIT: go to the publisher if need be: http://www.tottelpublishing.com/823/Tottel-Publishing-Contract-Law-in-Scotland-2nd-Edition.html
Back to uni tomorrow. :frown:
My god the introductory lectures are dull. I didn't even bother going to my last lecture today...
Rizzletastic
My god the introductory lectures are dull. I didn't even bother going to my last lecture today...

True, sitting through them with a cold trying to avoid sniffing and coughing isn't terribly great fun either. Freshers flu and I didn't even go to freshers, gutting.

Should pick up through the week, though- I'm actually looking forward to cracking on (wonder how long it'll last).
Celtic_Anthony
True, sitting through them with a cold trying to avoid sniffing and coughing isn't terribly great fun either. Freshers flu and I didn't even go to freshers, gutting.

Should pick up through the week, though- I'm actually looking forward to cracking on (wonder how long it'll last).

I've got my first lot of introductory lessons tomorrow but then I'm sure it'll be firing into some serious work. :frown: Not looking forward to being bored out my skull and missing some important nuggets of information either.
Celtic_Anthony

Contract Law in Scotland 2nd Edition, MacQueen and Thomson?

I got that for ~£35 IIRC

EDIT: go to the publisher if need be: http://www.tottelpublishing.com/823/Tottel-Publishing-Contract-Law-in-Scotland-2nd-Edition.html

That was the amazon price... weirdly I'd never have thought of the publisher. Thanks for the link but I actually managed to get it for £25 in the 2nd hand bookshop :smile:

Do you know if the eBook for British Government and the Constitution is worth getting? They have the physical copy for £16 used on Amazon, but they were plugging the eBook bundle at £40 in our lecture today, available "only" from John Smith's. It just grates with me as surely if you dl and eBook then you can distribut it around (though obv not strictly legal...)
sparklysparkles
That was the amazon price... weirdly I'd never have thought of the publisher. Thanks for the link but I actually managed to get it for £25 in the 2nd hand bookshop :smile:

Do you know if the eBook for British Government and the Constitution is worth getting? They have the physical copy for £16 used on Amazon, but they were plugging the eBook bundle at £40 in our lecture today, available "only" from John Smith's. It just grates with me as surely if you dl and eBook then you can distribut it around (though obv not strictly legal...)

Nice one, how did you find your first day btw?

And I didn't buy the e-book. I suppose it could be useful to find things easily, but if your handy with the index/looking up the pages in your booklet and (like me) prefer to read things on paper then I don't think it's worth it. I just bought the book, cba with the e-book tbh. I think e-books are protected so that you can't do that, but SISL are good at photocopying pages from the SME or other books you use so that you don't need to buy them/fight for them in the library so it's not all bad.

£120 on 4 books today, and I've got about 6 more to get :frown:
Celtic_Anthony
Nice one, how did you find your first day btw?

And I didn't buy the e-book. I suppose it could be useful to find things easily, but if your handy with the index/looking up the pages in your booklet and (like me) prefer to read things on paper then I don't think it's worth it. I just bought the book, cba with the e-book tbh. I think e-books are protected so that you can't do that, but SISL are good at photocopying pages from the SME or other books you use so that you don't need to buy them/fight for them in the library so it's not all bad.

£120 on 4 books today, and I've got about 6 more to get :frown:

Not really into it yet, with only an intro'y sisl lecture and a couple of French classes. Wasn't too bad, though a bit shocked at my cavalier spending of £110 on books and gym, with loads more to go! Low point was probably wandering around Adam Smith, boiling in my hoody, hair plastered to my face because of the rain.
Does anyone know if the Guardian still meet up at 6 on Fridays in the John McIntyre building? I almost got involved last year but left it a wee bit too late, so I'm thinking I might show up this year instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending