The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

dosed
Did it last year, if there's anything in particular you're wondering about it?
Not thinking about the course itself tbh, just wondering how popular it is with 1st/2nd year (not very seems to be the consensus).
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Celtic_Anthony
Not thinking about the course itself tbh, just wondering how popular it is with 1st/2nd year (not very seems to be the consensus).

There were 85 people who took it last year - as a student rep we had a meeting about ACMRs a few months ago so had copies of it. 82 previous year and 93 the year before. Either vast drop in numbers or just the people you're talking to...
sparklysparkles
There were 85 people who took it last year - as a student rep we had a meeting about ACMRs a few months ago so had copies of it. 82 previous year and 93 the year before. Either vast drop in numbers or just the people you're talking to...
It'll just be the people I'm talking to in that case I reckon :top:
Celtic_Anthony
It'll just be the people I'm talking to in that case I reckon

From what I can remember, it did have quite good feedback, but it was a rather strange one as the american lecturer said he was pleased enough with the fact that several people just didn't turn up for the exam and as a result there were no Es, Fs, Gs or Hs... all other lecturers were rather perturbed as there was just no record of these mysterious absentees as their not-turning-up hadn't been recorded anywhere. Don't know what went on there...
sparklysparkles
From what I can remember, it did have quite good feedback, but it was a rather strange one as the american lecturer said he was pleased enough with the fact that several people just didn't turn up for the exam and as a result there were no Es, Fs, Gs or Hs... all other lecturers were rather perturbed as there was just no record of these mysterious absentees as their not-turning-up hadn't been recorded anywhere. Don't know what went on there...
:toofunny: I would have thought CW would have been a worse thing to award. My mate did say he only showed up to the exam because he didn't speak to anyone at the lectures, but I wouldn't have thought anyone would have done the opposite. I'm told it's just SISL on an international level, so I sort of took it for granted that it wouldn't be the most popular course, but I was still getting a bit worried when nobody was saying they had chosen it.
Reply 785
Celtic_Anthony
:toofunny: I would have thought CW would have been a worse thing to award. My mate did say he only showed up to the exam because he didn't speak to anyone at the lectures, but I wouldn't have thought anyone would have done the opposite. I'm told it's just SISL on an international level, so I sort of took it for granted that it wouldn't be the most popular course, but I was still getting a bit worried when nobody was saying they had chosen it.

Probably the reasons you're not finding many people who did it are because they're spread out over a few years (ie so its not all 2nd years doing it or something) and also (when I did it anyway), there was a hugely disproportinate number of international people (presumably just here on exchange doing it), pretty definite they outnumbered the Scots doing it. Wouldn't have really said its that much like SISL tbh, found a lot of SISL quite political, whereas PIL was more technical, very much just from a law point of view.
dosed
Probably the reasons you're not finding many people who did it are because they're spread out over a few years (ie so its not all 2nd years doing it or something) and also (when I did it anyway), there was a hugely disproportinate number of international people (presumably just here on exchange doing it), pretty definite they outnumbered the Scots doing it. Wouldn't have really said its that much like SISL tbh, found a lot of SISL quite political, whereas PIL was more technical, very much just from a law point of view.

:top: Thanks for the info. Had heard that about the exchange students actually, imagine that would be a subject more suitable than the purely Scots law subjects seeing as they're not doing a Scots law degree.

I'm sure I'll know someone on the course, even if it's just from bumping into them drunkenly at Viper :colondollar:
Dissertation done. Woop!
TheOneWho
Dissertation done. Woop!

*Likes*.

Now, I should really be getting on with mine...
0404343m
*Likes*.

Now, I should really be getting on with mine...

I thought you were doing a PhD? You have years to go yet! Probably not the best attitude, but never mind.
TheOneWho
I thought you were doing a PhD? You have years to go yet! Probably not the best attitude, but never mind.

Well, we start out as M.Phil students, and do a dissertation. If all goes well, it becomes part of (usually a chapter) the Ph.D. If it doesn't, or we get a better funding offer from elsewhere, we're free to get out and use it as a stand-alone Ph.D preparation degree. Never bloody simple...
0404343m
Well, we start out as M.Phil students, and do a dissertation. If all goes well, it becomes part of (usually a chapter) the Ph.D. If it doesn't, or we get a better funding offer from elsewhere, we're free to get out and use it as a stand-alone Ph.D preparation degree. Never bloody simple...

Pfft, Oxford, like to make everything so much more complicated than anywhere else! I should really start looking in to postgrad stuff, but since I can't get to the library I can't be bothered really.
TheOneWho
Pfft, Oxford, like to make everything so much more complicated than anywhere else! I should really start looking in to postgrad stuff, but since I can't get to the library I can't be bothered really.

Who cares, it's Oxford!

I'd even clip the lecturers toenails everyday for a chance to study there.
RamocitoMorales
Who cares, it's Oxford!

I'd even clip the lecturers toenails everyday for a chance to study there.

Personally, their geography department isn't for me. Too many feminsts for my liking, but at least it's better than Cambridge's department.
Most 'intelligent' women these days are feminists. You shouldn't let them stop you from going to Oxford or Cambridge. If you let those feminists restrict you from achieving greatness then you might as well hold up the white flag and say, "Hey, you've won".
RamocitoMorales
Most 'intelligent' women these days are feminists. You shouldn't let them stop you from going to Oxford or Cambridge. If you let those feminists restrict you from achieving greatness then you might as well hold up the white flag and say, "Hey, you've won".

I disagree. There is no need for a female to have a feminist slant on everything she produces. Also, the Cambridge department isn't up to much at all, there are numerous department throughout Britain and abroad I would consider before even thinking about there. Oxford's department, whilst being slightly better, does not suit my interests.
TheOneWho
I disagree. There is no need for a female to have a feminist slant on everything she produces.

I don't mean to patronise you, but what you need to understand is that the history of humankind as always been very patriarchal. Men could go ahead and live their lives like normal human beings, whereas women were like machines who did the cleaning and the cooking. And like machines they had to be maintained by providing them with a roof above their heads among other things.

I'd imagine that the above paragraph may have offended you, and if it has I would like to say that I'm sorry. But I'm Ramocito and this is how I am, blunt and rude, but I always apologise after the damage has been done.

In our day and age however, women have equal rights in most countries and should theoretically be equal to men. But this just isn't physically possible. Men are bigger, stronger and more intelligent (just joking).

So women being women go green in envy and they let their jealousy get the better of them. They look down on men and fight and fight for something which is physically unattainable.

'Never give a woman too much power' I always say, because they always abuse it like the feminists and Margaret Thatcher.

TheOneWho
Also, the Cambridge department isn't up to much at all, there are numerous department throughout Britain and abroad I would consider before even thinking about there. Oxford's department, whilst being slightly better, does not suit my interests.

I'd go abroad if I were you. If you're going to snub Oxford and Cambridge, then England clearly isn't for you.
RamocitoMorales
I don't mean to patronise you, but what you need to understand is that the history of humankind as always been very patriarchal. Men could go ahead and live their lives like normal human beings, whereas women were like machines who did the cleaning and the cooking. And like machines they had to be maintained by providing them with a roof above their heads among other things.

I'd imagine that the above paragraph may have offended you, and if it has I would like to say that I'm sorry. But I'm Ramocito and this is how I am, blunt and rude, but I always apologise after the damage has been done.

In our day and age however, women have equal rights in most countries and should theoretically be equal to men. But this just isn't physically possible. Men are bigger, stronger and more intelligent (just joking).

So women being women go green in envy and they let their jealousy get the better of them. They look down on men and fight and fight for something which is physically unattainable.

'Never give a woman too much power' I always say, because they always abuse it like the feminists and Margaret Thatcher.

I'd go abroad if I were you. If you're going to snub Oxford and Cambridge, then England clearly isn't for you.

I'm female, I respect all those women who have come before me and enabled me to have such rights as I do today. But that doesn't mean that I have to be a feminist, or that everything I write has to be feminist. There is a whole branch of geography ('feminist geography, funnily enough) devoted to the topic. Sure, women have different geographies to men, I totally get that. Doesn't mean I want to spend my life writing about them, or being in a department with such a heavy bias towards it.

There are many better universities in England for my interests than Oxford or Cambridge. For example Leeds (probably the best for my interests), Sheffield, Newcastle, Loughborough, etc. Those are the current universities, maybe in ten years time it will have changed. Cambridge might have dragged itself into the new millennium and all the feminists from Oxford might have left. It wasn't too long ago that Lampeter, Wales was where all the geo-geniuses were.
TheOneWho
I'm female, I respect all those women who have come before me and enabled me to have such rights as I do today. But that doesn't mean that I have to be a feminist, or that everything I write has to be feminist. There is a whole branch of geography ('feminist geography, funnily enough) devoted to the topic. Sure, women have different geographies to men, I totally get that. Doesn't mean I want to spend my life writing about them, or being in a department with such a heavy bias towards it.

I can't argue with you, I'm not a student of geography. But I think that you are partly right in picking your university based on the modules which you study.

I used to really enjoy history, I still do in fact. But during my secondary school years I was bored to death of learning about the Feminist movement and the economic crisis in the USA. So I couldn't continue. And that is why I sympathise with you a little.

You can do what you want at the end of the day, as long as you know what you're doing.

Personally though, I can't stand places like Loughborough and Sheffield. They're just too down to earth and too ordinary for my liking. But that's just me, my ambition is my downfall.
Ramo, in all fairness, you're not at university yet, and you definitely know nothing about the respective merits of university departments. Oxford is another university, just like Glasgow, just like Bangor. It's really none of my concern how people view the three, I merely know that there's staff at Glasgow who I don't think are anywhere near this 'world-class' bracket that people talk of, and there are staff at Oxford who aren't in the same league as the staff at Glasgow. There's some average-at-best students at Glasgow, who I don't hold out a great deal of hope for the future for, at least not academically, and there's a few who are every bit as talented in my opinion as the majority of the people I've met at Oxford. The gap is small in my opinion- in TSR's, and for people who've never been to university, it seems huge. It's completely rational to claim Oxford and Cambridge have departments inferior, and known to be as such, than plenty of places in the UK. They're few and far between, and they're usually amongst the best anyway, but it wouldn't stop me swapping Oxford for a Leeds/St Andrews/Bristol/UCD/KCL etc in a minute for very good reasons. Until you've been there, arguing from a point of zero expertise is pretty futile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending