The Student Room Group

Homeschooled and taking GCSEs at a new school

I’m rlly nervous bc they will be in uniform and I will stand out. Also I’m scared of having to go in by myself and just don’t wanna embarrass myself. Also I’m obviously not allowed my phone but I need to take in with me bc my mum has gotta pick me up and I don’t wanna have to get kicked out or something . Also bc I have no phone I’m just gonna be standing in there awkwardly and it just sounds like a nightmare . I’ve spoken to people and everyone doesn’t get why I’m stressed but I over think like this all the time. And was wondering if it’s as big of a deal as I’m making it out to be or if im overthinking it. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
so you are just going to the school to take your gcses? Sorry if i sound awful but i'd tell you its fine, but you will remember it for a long time. trust me though even if its not fine, nobody will remember in like not even a years time so its fine. just focus on getting the exam done and try every question. No i think i get you lmao, its kinda awkar to be there lonely. i just go on my settings sometimes to pretend im doing smth😭. get a book or smth? good luck!
Reply 2
It is normal to be nervous but you will feel more relaxed about the exams when you have finished the first one.

Phone the school & ask if you can leave your phone in the school office during the exam. Alternatively, ask if they have a locker which you can use.

If you haven't been in the school before you could ask if you can visit to see where the exam hall and bathrooms are. If you don't have the opportunity to visit then maybe phone the office to ask where you should go when you arrive?

Remember you will be surrounded by nervous people before an exam. Maybe take some revision notes to read while you are waiting? It can be good to take notes that you are happy to put in a bin before walking into the exam hall as you cannot take notes in with you.

It is possible that you will not be the only person there not wearing uniform. Maybe there are other home schooled students in the area? Other people will see that you are an external student but that is ok. Wear something comfortable.

Please don't fret too much about the situation. Focus on revision and do as well as you can during the exam. Keep an eye on the clock and make sure you don't spend too long on any of the questions.

Make sure you allow enough time for the journey to the school, plus some contingency time. Organise your clothes, pens, calculator etc the night before and go to bed at a reasonable time.

I expect everything will go well on your first day because you are thinking about it in advance.
It's really commonplace for home educated students to take exams at a local school, if they can accommodate outsiders, and many home edding parents opt for that rather than a commercial exam centre because usually they charge less.

So if your parents have found a school to facilitate you taking the exam, it's probably not all that strange for the kids to see outsiders coming in.

Just don't worry about it - all those other kids will be thinking about their own nerves at taking exams, and not thinking about you at all.
Reply 4
Thank u sm have my first one tmr trying not to think too much about it .
Reply 5
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)It's really commonplace for home educated students to take exams at a local school, if they can accommodate outsiders, and many home edding parents opt for that rather than a commercial exam centre because usually they charge less.

Thank u sm for ur reply rlly helped me :smile:

Just don't worry about it - all those other kids will be thinking about their own nerves at taking exams, and not thinking about you at all.
Reply 6
(Original post by SpiderCrab)It is normal to be nervous but you will feel more relaxed about the exams when you have finished the first one.

Phone the school & ask if you can leave your phone in the school office during the exam. Alternatively, ask if they have a locker which you can use.

If you haven't been in the school before you could ask if you can visit to see where the exam hall and bathrooms are. If you don't have the opportunity to visit then maybe phone the office to ask where you should go when you arrive?

Thank u sm for ur reply nice to know from someone with experience haha helped me more than u know 💗

Remember you will be surrounded by nervous people before an exam. Maybe take some revision notes to read while you are waiting? It can be good to take notes that you are happy to put in a bin before walking into the exam hall as you cannot take notes in with you.

It is possible that you will not be the only person there not wearing uniform. Maybe there are other home schooled students in the area? Other people will see that you are an external student but that is ok. Wear something comfortable.

Please don't fret too much about the situation. Focus on revision and do as well as you can during the exam. Keep an eye on the clock and make sure you don't spend too long on any of the questions.

Make sure you allow enough time for the journey to the school, plus some contingency time. Organise your clothes, pens, calculator etc the night before and go to bed at a reasonable time.

I expect everything will go well on your first day because you are thinking about it in advance.

Original post by r_4bi
so you are just going to the school to take your gcses? Sorry if i sound awful but i'd tell you its fine, but you will remember it for a long time. trust me though even if its not fine, nobody will remember in like not even a years time so its fine. just focus on getting the exam done and try every question. No i think i get you lmao, its kinda awkar to be there lonely. i just go on my settings sometimes to pretend im doing smth😭. get a book or smth? good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest