The Student Room Group

Living at home whilst in uni?

So I’m going to a uni quite close to where I live, this was not initially my plan but I’m a slightly more mature student (at the age of 21) and my anxiety developed quite severely over the last couple of years of lockdown. I have become very terrified of change so as baby steps I am going to uni in my home town.
I was initially going to try halls, but financially it became implausible, even with a maintenance loan, as the university I study at is in quite an expensive area.

Everything seems so complicated and I’m freaking out a bit trying to navigate my starting week and what I need to do to enrol so if anyone could give me some reassurance that would be amazing.

Does anyone have any experience with studying and commuting to uni? (My commute will be about 10-30 minutes depending on if I drive or get a bus)
I am not that set on making friends, but will I be completely closed off to making any?

And last of all is I am thinking of saving up some of my pay cheques and maintenance loan to enter into a house share for the second year, if not is the age of 21/22 too old to be in halls if I decide to go into them next year?
Reply 1
First of all you’re going to be fine! I personally didn’t find studying and commuting hard, especially since my learning was mostly online. However it was blended during 1st semester so I did commute to attend lectures & seminars which wasn’t too bad (just had to manage my time efficiently). If your uni have made learning blended then I don’t think you’ll have a problem either.

As for making friends, no you won’t be. I actually made a few friends in my course. I wasn’t set on making friends either but it all happened naturally. And I’m glad it did.

No 21/22 isn’t considered old to live in halls. Go for it if that’s the most convenient for you. You’ll be surprised to know there’s plenty of students from various ages living in halls.
All the best! ☺️
Reply 2
Thank you so much for replying!! I think living at home during my first year will be beneficial so I’m glad it’s not that unheard of, I think my course isn’t so blended as I’m doing an art course so will need to be in the studio a lot but my working hours are flexible and will allow for this so I’m hoping it won’t be too exhausting (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending