The Student Room Group

Autumn 2021 Anime Preview Thread

Scroll to see replies

New page, and still no replies. :ahee:

Saihate no Paladin (The Faraway Paladin)

Will is a human child in a fantasy world, raised by an undead trio: Gus the ghost mage, Mary the mummy priestess, and Blood the skeleton warrior. Despite their spooky forms, they raise him well, though they do keep some secrets from him, such as how they ended up together... and Will also keeps one big secret from them. He's actually from our world, reincarnated in theirs for reasons so far not revealed. He retains his past memories even as a new(re)born baby - add in his determination to achieve more second time around, and the result is a child prodigy, quick and eager to learn magic, combat, history, mythology and daily life skills from his guardians.

Yes, this is an isekai, featuring an overpowered main character aided by past memories, all the things I'd usually avoid like the plague. And no, the synopsis released before this aired made no mention of this fact. I feel cheated and betrayed! :rant: But, it's high budget, and the characters were well written, even if there's no real indication of where the plot's going yet. Another one for the maybe pile. [EDIT] Dropped. :nn:

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/the-faraway-paladin
(edited 2 years ago)
Deep Insanity: The Lost Child

A massive hole opens up in Antarctica, leading to an unknown and dangerous world named Asylum. Main character Shigure Daniel Kai volunteers to become a 'Sleeper', those tasked with exploring the place, because he wants to be a hero. However, the recruitment adverts and official cover story weren't entirely honest about what the job involves... he shows up with no former combat training, is given some gear, and is promptly sent into Asylum to battle generic CG monstrosities known as the Scarred. Also, humans who lack 'immunity' to the maddening effects of Asylum can at any point turn into monsters themselves, leading to a very high death rate.

This first ep was a mixed bag. Not much of a story hook, just 'get in the south pole hole and fight the monsters'. Animation was fine on the whole, nice backgrounds and great direction, but the 3D used for the monsters is very bad. Characters might just save it, they all have cool character designs, and interesting motives for becoming Sleepers. Helps that sci-fi and horror are my genres - I'll give this a chance.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/deep-insanity-the-lost-child/?qid=
(edited 2 years ago)
It's official, I'm going to be relying on four streaming platforms this season! :laugh:

Shikizakura

8 years ago, a catastrophe destroyed the village of Obara, leaving only one survivor: Miwa Kakeru. Now in high school, he has mixed feelings when forced to attend an exhibition about the incident... he arrives late, to find it strangely empty. Suddenly, the exhibits start taunting him, preying on his survivor's guilt; turns out the disaster was caused by oni, and now they're here for him! Fortunately, a bunch of people in colourful mech suits show up to fight the oni. During the chaos, he falls through a hole in the ground, and is surrounded by yet more oni. In order to survive, he forms a contract with his own power suit - but these suits are a type of oni as well, and his seems particularly dangerous!

A lot of action in this first episode! Animation is mostly 3D, SIGNIFICANTLY better looking than Tesla Note, though again it reverts to 2D for minor characters to cut down costs, which can be a bit jarring. Plot exposition felt a bit less forced in this one, great use of the museum there. Characters seem very amusing and likable. Picked up!

Official HIDIVE link: https://www.hidive.com/tv/shikizakura
(edited 2 years ago)
Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi (My Senpai is Annoying)

Main character Igarashi Futaba has been working as a trainee salesperson at a marketing company for 2 years. Also working there is Takeda Harumi, the eponymous 'annoying senpai'. He is big, loud, and treats Futaba like a child. Yet, he also looks out for her, matching his walking speed to hers, buying her drinks from the vending machine, and allowing her to take the lead on sales pitches. It quickly becomes clear that Futaba has feelings for him - and as if to remove any shadow of doubt, the episode ends on a drunken proposal. :p: That's about it, plot-wise - a workplace rom-com revolving around these two characters, as well as a handful of their co-workers.

Very familiar fare from Doga Kobo, despite the new director - the studio excels at slice of life and comedy, and this had the usual high quality animation, fun reaction faces, and delightful soundtrack I'd expect from them. This ep's ED theme (which I assume will actually be the OP) was brilliant. And I like that Futaba isn't just your generic tsundere, nor is Harumi the stereotypical love interest.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/my-senpai-is-annoying
I'm a bit late getting to this one, but as with all my other first impressions posts, I'm basing this on the first episode alone.

Taisho Otome Otogibanashi (Taisho Otome Fairy Tale)

Tamahiko was born to a wealthy family, but not a loving one. To make matters worse, he loses both his mother and the use of his dominant arm in a car accident - and in Taisho era Japan (1920s) when our story is set, disability is seen as something to be ashamed of and hidden away. Tamahiko is sent to live in the family's remote mountain villa, where his depression grows even more severe... until a girl named Yuzuki arrives, announcing herself to be his fiancée. Turns out her family owed Tamahiko's father money, and she was given away to cover the debt. Despite her own unfortunate circumstances, Yuzuki is full of positivity, and hopes to grow to love Tamahiko. But will he ever be capable of loving her back?

Very different in feel to yesterday's Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi - though it did have some equally cute moments, Tamahiko's circumstances and pessimism remind me more of last season's Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid. There's definitely potential for more drama there. Other than that, animation and music was fine, and the Taisho setting appeals to me.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/taisho-otome-fairy-tale
(edited 2 years ago)
Basing this on the actual 1st episode, and not the episode 0 special:

Lupin III: Part 6

Off to a chaotic start! As well as the usual Lupin III cast, this series features Sherlock Holmes, and the characters usually associated with him... with one notable exception in an absent Watson. The setting is present day London, and the plot revolves around the hidden treasure of a secret organisation that rules from the shadows. The CGI cars may take some getting used to, but overall this was a solid re-introduction. :biggrin:

Official HIDIVE link: https://www.hidive.com/tv/lupin-the-3rd-part-6
(edited 2 years ago)
Ousama Ranking (Ranking of Kings)

In a world where rulers are ranked based on factors including martial prowess, first prince Bojji has people worried. He is small, deaf-mute, and cannot wield a sword effectively, unlike his half-brother the second prince. People both in and outside of the palace barely conceal their mocking words - and though he always has a smile on his face in public, these words do hurt him. One day, the young prince meets a strange, dark blob named Kage. Somehow, they are able to understand each other, much to Bojji's delight. Though Kage initially takes advantage of his good nature to rob him of his fancy clothes, his feelings start to change as he watches over the prince in the shadows.

This is easily one of the nicest looking Autumn series - soft and simple art style, but with a lot of variation in the character designs, and still suited to action scenes as we saw in the sword duel at the end. Bojji and Kage are an interesting main duo, and a lot of the side characters have me intrigued as well, especially the snake guy. If you only watch one series this season, make it this one.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/ranking-of-kings
(edited 2 years ago)
@AngryJellyfish

You are diligent as usual. Are there any autumn animes you watched and liked so far?

My, my Lupin is still ongoing. That is nice. :biggrin:
Original post by Kallisto
@AngryJellyfish

You are diligent as usual. Are there any autumn animes you watched and liked so far?

My, my Lupin is still ongoing. That is nice. :biggrin:

Glad to finally get a reply! :laugh: It's still early days for the non-sequels, but Ousama Ranking stands out the most for me. I'm finding myself enjoying Taisho Otome Otogibanashi a lot more than I expected too. And if I had to make it a top 3, takt op.Destiny had a strong 2nd episode.

Lupin III is still going strong indeed! Though the last member of the original voice cast (Kobayashi Kiyoshi, who voiced Jigen for 52 years!) retired at the start of this series. Not a bad run at all. :congrats:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-09-06/voice-actor-kiyoshi-kobayashi-retires-as-lupin-iii-jigen-after-52-years/.177080
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
(...)

Lupin III is still going strong indeed! Though the last member of the original voice cast (Kobayashi Kiyoshi, who voiced Jigen for 52 years!) retired at the start of this series. Not a bad run at all. :congrats:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-09-06/voice-actor-kiyoshi-kobayashi-retires-as-lupin-iii-jigen-after-52-years/.177080

Maybe it is a good idea to restart with Lupin III again. It is a long time that I watched the anime.
This is the last Autumn anime that I'm definitely planning on watching; I *may* check out one or two more if I get the chance, but if anybody wants to hear my first impressions for any specific (non-sequel) that I've not already covered, request it here by the end of the month, and I'll make it happen. :yep:

Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu (Komi Can't Communicate)

Protagonist Tadano is determined not to stand out in his new high school, as he feels this is the key to a comfortable life. Unfortunately, he is seated next to the school's most popular girl, Komi, and the jealous stares of the others immediately ruin his plans. And when he tries to strike up a conversation with Komi herself, she too responds with an intense stare and complete silence... though eventually, Tadano realizes that she's not being rude or intimidating, she's just really bad at talking to others. When alone, the two communicate using the classroom chalk board, where Komi expresses her desire to make 100 friends - Tadano agrees to help with this, and in doing so becomes her first friend.

Of all the rom coms I've covered this season, this feels like it could be the best. Great animation, direction, reaction faces and voice acting. Komi's social anxiety, while used to comedic effect, is also approached with seriousness and understanding. And apparently the entire cast will be made up of unique and eccentric characters - there's already an obvious ninja in their class!

Official Netflix link: https://www.netflix.com/title/81228573
(edited 2 years ago)
Does anyone know when the next sesson for tensi shitra slime datta kun is comming?
Original post by jacksonsmith1
Does anyone know when the next sesson for tensi shitra slime datta kun is comming?

Definitely not this Autumn. :p: As far as I can tell from Anime News Network, there's no date for a next season (or even confirmation that it's getting one, though it's likely based on popularity). It is getting a movie next year, however:

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Anime Gets Movie in Fall 2022
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Definitely not this Autumn. :p: As far as I can tell from Anime News Network, there's no date for a next season (or even confirmation that it's getting one, though it's likely based on popularity). It is getting a movie next year, however:

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Anime Gets Movie in Fall 2022

Yh i heard about the movie but there was no proper trailer
Last one, then:

Gyakuten Sekai no Denchi Shoujo (Rumble Garanndoll)

This is set in an alternate reality Japan, a dystopia where fantasy and escapism are prohibited, and laws are enforced by giant anthropomorphic dog robots. Main character Kudou Hosomichi works in a host club in order to pay off a large debt, until the day the government decides to shut it down. Kudou is saved from their mechs by another giant robot, this one resembling a shark - but it is soon defeated. Upon closer inspection, Kudou finds the cockpit to be empty, save for a VR headset and controller. He steps in, puts the headset on... and finds himself talking to a chibi 'battery girl'. Apparently the machine runs on dreams and passion, but does the jaded Kudou have enough of those left in him to save the day?

VERY similar premise to this season's Kyoukai Senki, though without the xenophobia. That, and it obviously takes itself less seriously, playing on all the tropes of mech series for comedic purposes. The robots themselves are really quite cute! Production values seem decent. But, it didn't wow me enough to consider dropping any of the other series I've picked up.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/rumble-garanndoll
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest