The Student Room Group

Pre Veterinary Work Experience Abroad

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there are any other Vet Med hopefuls out there that are interested or contemplating doing Pre Veterinary work experience abroad before applying to university. I was just wondering if it is worth the valuable time needed for veterinary work experience. If anyone has any thoughts or have previously done it feel free to post :smile:
Reply 1
Hey,, yeah, I think it's a good idea, I'm going to Dubai to work at a vets for work exp for a few weeks possibly in summer,, I think it shows your truly interested in the subject.. My best friend also did some in Australia (she's in the year above so is at uni already) and she said it really helped her. So it's generally up to how much you want to prove you love working with animals. When you're at uni you'll be able to do EMS abroad so there's nothing wrong with getting a placement somewhere that you can go back to later on when you need it.. Hope I helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly, get your essentials first: farm work (especially dairy, lambing), stables, cattery/kennels, small vets, large vets before doing anything "exotic" abroad like these safari experiences you hear about etc. (Liverpool will only count 1 weeks of Safari placement you do on their questionnaire and have done so for the past number of years) .You will definitely need an understanding of what happens in the UK both in farms and practise before you go abroad; after all, you will be learning about how the UK does things and not other countries who will have other policies. If you've covered all the basics, then of course there isn't a problem going abroad if you'd like to and I know some people who've had brilliant experiences. I did some placements abroad in the EU but only because my family live outside the UK. This was in addition to my UK placements after I meet the uni's minimum requirements, though. I don't think going abroad boosts you application and more than doing a UK placement of the same sort: not everyone can afford to go abroad so it would unfair to give people who went abroad a competitive advantage. Going abroad does not prove you love animals more and are more determined to be a vet in any way!

Hope this helps!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Yeah this has helped a lot guys! I know I have to complete the necessary components of the expected work experience first otherwise going abroad would be pretty pointless. However I am a 2015 applicant meaning I would be applying autumn 2014 so I have around 20 months to build up on my work experience and I have completed quite a lot of the requirements (although I still want to do more) and I was just considering it. Thank you both for helping me here :smile: The reason I considered this more was because of the recent advertisement of the pre vet Eco experience provided by Gap Africa Projects which I would probably do next summer if I were to do it (it's around £1600 so I need to save up haha) and it lasts, I think, for 12 days so I was thinking if I completed every other aspect before then then it would be worth giving it a shot. Do any of you know anything about the company like their reputation etc. If so that would be a great help :smile: sorry for the waffle :P
Reply 4
It’s crazy to think this thread was from 10 years ago I want to know if you got it to the university you wanted
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
It’s crazy to think this thread was from 10 years ago I wi see if you got it to the university you wanted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending