The Student Room Group

How many lessons to learn how to drive?

I’m on a gap year and I want to get some driving lessons so i can hopefully learn how to drive by the time I go travelling in february, i’m working at a school so i’m thinking having lessons 1/2x a week after school but i’m paying for it myself which will add up, how many lessons/hours does it generally take to learn how to drive?
Idk if it helps but im a pretty hands on person and can pick instruments up quite quickly
Reply 1
on average, it's 45 hours of lessons, along with some practice time. however, theory and practical tests are incredibly booked up and, if you've done your theory and haven't booked your practical test, you're unlikely to be able to find a test before february.
Reply 2
Original post by 14t
I’m on a gap year and I want to get some driving lessons so i can hopefully learn how to drive by the time I go travelling in february, i’m working at a school so i’m thinking having lessons 1/2x a week after school but i’m paying for it myself which will add up, how many lessons/hours does it generally take to learn how to drive?
Idk if it helps but im a pretty hands on person and can pick instruments up quite quickly

As @etohin has said, the average is somewhere around 40-45 hours of driving lessons plus 20 hours of practice. You will also need to account for the cost of the driving test and the cost of using your instructors car for the test.

However, if you pick things up quite quickly, you may not need anywhere near as many lessons. I passed first time after around 20 hours of driving lessons with no additional practice.
I am hoping 28 hrs of lessons and around 50 hrs of practice as I've got my test booked for the end of November :eek:..........I've had it booked since I passed my theory in July. Pretty sure I'm going to fail :bawling:
Hahaha well... mine is going to be supper inaccurate since Covid-19 has messed it up terribly. I started learning in November 2019, did my theory test in December 2019, booked my driving test for April 2020, then Covid-19 hit, I practiced in my mom's car from time to time, booked for July, that got cancelled, then August, at this time I changed driving instructor, I failed in August, rebooked for November 2020, that got cancelled, rebooked for March 2021, that got cancelled. Rebooked for August, and changed driving instuctor again, Failed in August, rebooked a test in August again AND FINALLY passed. I have two thoery test certificates now whoops.

So altogether Maybe like 65hrs included practice. I know its alot! but if covid did not happen maybe around 50hrs including private practice. Without private practice 35hrs?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending