The Student Room Group

UoM Japanese Course

Hi, I am thinking of applying for the University of Manchester Japanese Course - Is there anybody currently on the course who can give me an insight to how the course is?
How much you've learnt, if it is worthwhile, what is good / bad etc?

Thank you!
Reply 1
I'm thinking of applying too! Obviously I don't have the most insight but most if not all Japanese courses are designed for beginners and after year 3 you're at approximately JLPT N2 standard which is equivalent to B2~C1 proficiency sooo you'd probably be pretty fluent by the end of your course. Apparently its really hard though having to memorise all the kanji and these courses have a high dropout rate but i wouldn't worry too much as usually those people weren't too interested in the language and culture and just the superficial stuff like anime etc etc. My boyfriends mum did this at uni and she enjoyed herself so i think thats a pretty good sign :smile:! Good luck with ur application
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lisxsi
I'm thinking of applying too! Obviously I don't have the most insight but most if not all Japanese courses are designed for beginners and after year 3 you're at approximately JLPT N2 standard which is equivalent to B2~C1 proficiency sooo you'd probably be pretty fluent by the end of your course. Apparently its really hard though having to memorise all the kanji and these courses have a high dropout rate but i wouldn't worry too much as usually those people weren't too interested in the language and culture and just the superficial stuff like anime etc etc. My boyfriends mum did this at uni and she enjoyed herself so i think thats a pretty good sign :smile:! Good luck with ur application

Idk if you guys will see this but if u do could u leave a small review for me. Cuz I was thinking of doing it as a joint honours. Also I definitely feel like I’m one of the superficial ppl cuz I did get interested in Japan cuz of anime but I don’t like japan just cuz of anime, anime kinda broaden my horizons. Anyways I really do wanna give it a try

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending