The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Is management an inferior degree?

I will be applying to LSE in a few months time, and need to select which course. I am between Management and Economics. I prefer the management course, but I am concerned that employers won't regard it as highly, because management positions require experience, and economics will therefore be better for other positions.
Why would economics be preferred by employers? It's an academic subject, not a professional field. Unless the job was working as an economist or an economic policy role in e.g. the civil service, NGOs, central banks or similar, it makes no difference because outside of those most of the degree is not directly applicable anyway. So it's no better or worse than any other course.

That said I always felt that people who did a management degree as an undergrad only did so as they lacked the imagination to study anything else.

Since employers actually don't in general care what you study, someone who did an intellectually stimulating course in e.g. marine biology, Egyptology, anthropology, languages, nuclear technology etc, will be just as well qualified as anyone else for the generalist grad roles the majority of grads apply to, but will have actually gained something from their years of study beyond just a piece of paper saying they're qualified to do a job.

To each their own though.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Why would economics be preferred by employers? It's an academic subject, not a professional field. Unless the job was working as an economist or an economic policy role in e.g. the civil service, NGOs, central banks or similar, it makes no difference because outside of those most of the degree is not directly applicable anyway. So it's no better or worse than any other course.

That said I always felt that people who did a management degree as an undergrad only did so as they lacked the imagination to study anything else.

Since employers actually don't in general care what you study, someone who did an intellectually stimulating course in e.g. marine biology, Egyptology, anthropology, languages, nuclear technology etc, will be just as well qualified as anyone else for the generalist grad roles the majority of grads apply to, but will have actually gained something from their years of study beyond just a piece of paper saying they're qualified to do a job.

To each their own though.

To answer why I think economics may be valued of management: Management position are only given out after at least a few years of experience, so to begin with management graduates will have to work non-management focused jobs. Therefore, not the best degree out of the gates

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending