The Student Room Group

should i switch to automatic driving lesson?

I am having problems with coordination and multitasking during my manual driving lesson, for example, I am having difficulties switch gears when driving and switching gears when turning left or right. Also, I noticed that I lose focus on switching gears or breaking when there is a car behind me.
I have only done 2 lessons for 4 hours overall
should I switch to automatic driving lessons?
(edited 2 years ago)
I did and i'm so glad i switched, passed my test in an automatic 5 years ago and I've never looked back. that being said you've only done 2 lessons so don't be too harsh on yourself, it does take a while to get to grips with and for some (like me) you never do. However there are a few perks to being able to drive manual such as more choice when buying a car, cars are generally slightly cheaper, you can rent cars for cheaper/a lot easier, if you need to use a company car this is often manual. I haven't really run into these issues but it can be a problem in the future depending on what you want to do for a job etc. Maybe give it a few more lessons to see if anything changes, most people struggle with gear/clutch its not unusual!
Reply 2
I was the same. However you will get used to it and slowly the more lessons you take the more confident you get. Now I can switch gears, break, turn, indicate, wash the wind screen all together with my eyes closed LMAO.

At first it’s very scary and seems like quite a task. So I totally understand.

But slowly you will become more and more confident.
Your very new to driving and considering you have only done 4 hours worth of driving, you do need some more practice. and remember a normal person to required around 47 lessons before they can take a test.

So don’t worry, keep training. Maybe practice on someones car, when I was learning I practiced on my mums car in Morrison’s car park. You can also get a learners insurance which is not too bad if you want to take someone car on the road. Obviously they would need to be sat next to you at all times.
INO, No, you should develop your skills more rather than look for an easy way out. nd auto box won't do a thing about you losing focus with cars behind you or any other co ordination issues you will certainly face to learn and pass.
Reply 4
I think a lot of people have. It's clear that you won't drive perfectly the first time. You just have to have patience and persistence. And on those moments that you do not succeed you need to focus your attention. Try renting a car for Lyft https://www.hyrecar.com for extra lessons. Go out of town and practice shifting gears. A couple of times a week you'll practice that. And I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Do you have coordination problems with other tasks? If not, then it will almost certainly get better with practice. Four hours behind the wheel is nothing really. You just need to adjust. If you're poorly coordinated in general, then an automatic is the better choice. There's no point in making life extra hard for yourself when the technology exists to make it easier.
Reply 6
One of my family members were the same and they have started to take automatic lessons. The instructor told them that they must have some sort of condition that they can’t multi task but my family member can elsewhere just not in the car which is unusual. They don’t like driving anyway, they drive just to get to work and back. They said switching to automatic was the easiest thing they have done. All they had to focus on was everything surrounding the car and being able to control it properly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending