The Student Room Group

Driving instructor swore at me?

So today I had a driving lesson and usually I’m fine during them, sometimes I make the odd fault and but my instructor would quickly help me correct it then guide me on how to improve for next time, and sometimes I would get told to slow down a bit too. I’ve been taking lessons for over a year now with gaps in between (due to pandemic and national lockdowns) so I’ve known my instructor for some time and have built a teacher-student relationship. Usually a really nice guy and quite funny too, very friendly but today he flipped at me:/ like really bad and I was so gobsmacked by it all, I came home and cried (it takes a lot for me to cry) and I made the tough decision to no longer take lessons with him despite me being so close to my test date, which is booked for early next year.

So basically, I was driving and my instructor asked me which way I was going, to which I responded with ‘straight’, then he pointed out a road marking which showed I can turn left only, to which I smiled and said ‘sorry I didn’t see that’ I indicated left and turned in. My instructor then said ‘how can you not see that, you need to slow down’ I then said ‘I just didn’t see it I didn’t realise that was on the floor’. He then said ‘why are you shouting at me, you don’t know how to drive’ to which I responded, ‘I do know how to drive’. At this point I am still under the impression that my instructor is having a joke with me and speaking to me in a friendly manner, which is why I responded in a friendly manner back to him and I laughed and smiled. He then responded back saying ‘you don’t know otherwise you wouldn’t have had to go through 2 instructors’, (I left previous instructors due to time wasting, turning up late etc) me still being under the impression that he was joking i said ‘I actually know quite a bit’, My instructor then responded back and began to raise his voice, ‘listen you don’t know how to ****ing drive, and don’t ****ing shout at me, your sat behind a learners seat for a ****ing reason, I don’t give a ****ing **** about how much you can put down your right foot, don’t act like your a ****ing stig when your still learning, next time you shout at me I’m gonna pull up on the side and have a word, girls like you are brats that think they know it all, you don’t know jack **** that’s why your in a learner car, piss me off don’t ****ing shout at me’. I remained quiet during this whole outburst and I didn’t respond to it. I carried on with my driving in silence whilst following my instructors directions.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? I want to report it to DVLA but I’m afraid they won’t believe me due to lack of evidence, because when they ask him about it he may deny it.

Scroll to see replies

https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-a-driving-instructor

Can you text him and tell him how much he upset you by shouting and swearing at you in today lesson when you missed the sign and see what he says. If he is nasty in the text you can then use it. If not you can still report, even if it doesnt go anywhere at least it is logged if future students report.
Original post by BlackLab
https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-a-driving-instructor

Can you text him and tell him how much he upset you by shouting and swearing at you in today lesson when you missed the sign and see what he says. If he is nasty in the text you can then use it. If not you can still report, even if it doesnt go anywhere at least it is logged if future students report.

I was just so upset as soon as I got home I blocked and deleted his number, just don’t want anything to do with him at all. I’ve submitted a report to dvsa and provided as much detail as possible, hopefully they open an investigation
Reply 3
Sounds outrageous, I would raise a complaint and find a new instructor
Original post by Browniesss123
So today I had a driving lesson and usually I’m fine during them, sometimes I make the odd fault and but my instructor would quickly help me correct it then guide me on how to improve for next time, and sometimes I would get told to slow down a bit too. I’ve been taking lessons for over a year now with gaps in between (due to pandemic and national lockdowns) so I’ve known my instructor for some time and have built a teacher-student relationship. Usually a really nice guy and quite funny too, very friendly but today he flipped at me:/ like really bad and I was so gobsmacked by it all, I came home and cried (it takes a lot for me to cry) and I made the tough decision to no longer take lessons with him despite me being so close to my test date, which is booked for early next year.

So basically, I was driving and my instructor asked me which way I was going, to which I responded with ‘straight’, then he pointed out a road marking which showed I can turn left only, to which I smiled and said ‘sorry I didn’t see that’ I indicated left and turned in. My instructor then said ‘how can you not see that, you need to slow down’ I then said ‘I just didn’t see it I didn’t realise that was on the floor’. He then said ‘why are you shouting at me, you don’t know how to drive’ to which I responded, ‘I do know how to drive’. At this point I am still under the impression that my instructor is having a joke with me and speaking to me in a friendly manner, which is why I responded in a friendly manner back to him and I laughed and smiled. He then responded back saying ‘you don’t know otherwise you wouldn’t have had to go through 2 instructors’, (I left previous instructors due to time wasting, turning up late etc) me still being under the impression that he was joking i said ‘I actually know quite a bit’, My instructor then responded back and began to raise his voice, ‘listen you don’t know how to ****ing drive, and don’t ****ing shout at me, your sat behind a learners seat for a ****ing reason, I don’t give a ****ing **** about how much you can put down your right foot, don’t act like your a ****ing stig when your still learning, next time you shout at me I’m gonna pull up on the side and have a word, girls like you are brats that think they know it all, you don’t know jack **** that’s why your in a learner car, piss me off don’t ****ing shout at me’. I remained quiet during this whole outburst and I didn’t respond to it. I carried on with my driving in silence whilst following my instructors directions.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? I want to report it to DVLA but I’m afraid they won’t believe me due to lack of evidence, because when they ask him about it he may deny it.

There was no need to cry though. That's not going to help. Just forget it and move on. Maybe change instructor
(edited 2 years ago)
You do get some weird instructors that you just don’t get on with. In this scenario I don’t know if you should have kept on going with it ? Were you actually shouting ? Did you potentially get offended/defensive about driving ? I’ve been in a similar situation but the best thing to do is just listen to the instructor and if he was wrong it’s on him. They’re helping you because they understand more about driving, even if it seems wrong they’ve been teaching and doing it long enough to understand what works. But if the instructor is unreasonable then yeah might be time to get a new one.
Reply 6
OMG! That's actually insane. Even if you were shouting, that is NOT an appropriate way to reply to anyone let alone a student who is paying you to teach them how to drive. Have you told your parents about this? I remember on a lesson the day before my test I was struggling with something and my driving instructor was shaking his head and grunting and told me 'I don't even know why you're doing your test tomorrow, you're not going to pass' which made me quite upset. I ended up passing and didn't let him put up a 'passed today pic' of me on his crappy website lol

Original post by Imafailuredope
There was no need to cry though. That's not going to help. Just forget it and move on. Maybe change instructor

Okay this is so unhelpful lol. You can't help it if you need to cry wtf. I would've cried too OP.
EDIT: Wait are you the instructor lol?
(edited 2 years ago)
I completely agree with you that it's unacceptable behaviour.
But I can understand how someone might get to that point. Their entire job is sitting in a car with untrained drivers. They have to be completely focused the whole time, and with very new drivers will probably have to prevent them from creating potentially very dangerous situations to everyone.
I can imagine that if you've had a hard day/ week with lots of incidents you might get frazzled and end up just snapping if someone appears (in your short tempered mood) to be arguing back. Especially if you're one of the students they can rely on for an easier lesson.
Again. I don't condone that behaviour. Just putting out a suggestion for why they might have done that
Reply 8
Original post by OJlongley
I completely agree with you that it's unacceptable behaviour.
But I can understand how someone might get to that point. Their entire job is sitting in a car with untrained drivers. They have to be completely focused the whole time, and with very new drivers will probably have to prevent them from creating potentially very dangerous situations to everyone.
I can imagine that if you've had a hard day/ week with lots of incidents you might get frazzled and end up just snapping if someone appears (in your short tempered mood) to be arguing back. Especially if you're one of the students they can rely on for an easier lesson.
Again. I don't condone that behaviour. Just putting out a suggestion for why they might have done that

I mean that is most likely what happened, but as a driving instructor he has somewhat of a duty of care and authority towards his students. Any reasons for him acting like this is irrelevant. Doctors or teachers don't end up swearing at their students or patients when they are stressed. He shouldn't be teaching if that's how he flips out! If he has a FB page or a google business page, leave a review OP. I would be so upset and flabbergasted! Especially if I thought we had a good rapport with each other.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ax Sleepy
Why u gon snitch bro,
he’s teaching u to drive and u can ****ing take criticism
like fam he’s the instructor not u ✌️
I mean yeh he said some questionable things which are wrong
but u triggered it in a way
mine swears a lot like what so?

nah bro thats fawked up, the dude should be fired, nobody should be treated like this. You may think you can handle it and its just simple criticism but u gotta open ur eyes.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Chaos_withwork
nah bro thats fawked up

What’s ****ed up
I’m giving my opinion I don’t give two ***** if u don’t agree
It’s not acceptable behaviour from a professional, no. Especially one who you’re employing.

You’ve done the right thing by reporting it and moving your lessons elsewhere.
obv sack him
cancel him pls
Why u gon snitch bro,
he’s teaching u to drive and u can ****ing take criticism
like fam he’s the instructor not u ✌️
I mean yeh he said some questionable things which are wrong
but u triggered it in a way
mine swears a lot like what so?

Please explain how I triggered it?
Please explain how I triggered it?

Aiyt look, firstly
Yeh maybe he was stressed and the last thing he wanted was his own pupil tryna tell him what he’s meant to be telling them like
imagine tryna teach ur teacher, like I’d be pissed
U answering him back like, just accept it sometimes

This was totally totally out of order, driving instructors have a code of conduct to abide by and this contravenes it in more than one way

You should report it to https://driversosuk.cleverdodo.com/t/12816/how-to-report-a-driving-instructor-for-misconduct and do it quickly while the details are clear in your mind.
Aiyt look, firstly
Yeh maybe he was stressed and the last thing he wanted was his own pupil tryna tell him what he’s meant to be telling them like
imagine tryna teach ur teacher, like I’d be pissed
U answering him back like, just accept it sometimes

Sorry but being stressed is no excuse to behave like that with a student. Shout at me that’s fine, but the swearing and the comments? Totally uncalled for.
Sorry but being stressed is no excuse to behave like that with a student. Shout at me that’s fine, but the swearing and the comments? Totally uncalled for.

Everyone swear unless ur from some sorta posh background
Chill
The comments yeh
But look
I ain’t here to debate,
Give my opinion and cut, Not to argue 😌✌️🌪🌪
Everyone swear unless ur from some sorta posh background
Chill
The comments yeh
But look
I ain’t here to debate,
Give my opinion and cut, Not to argue 😌✌️🌪🌪

LOL your posts are cracking me up, but nah mate. It's totally uncalled for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending