The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
~Sam~
It's all due to the popularity of the course, not how good the uni is. Exeter ask for AAA too. It's not even that brilliant for English, but loads of people apply there so they can afford to ask for AAA

Exeter usually ask you to achieve your predicted grades, which for most people who get offers is AAA. Someone at my school was given an ABB offer simply because that's what they were expected to get. It seems a bit stupid because they're missing out on many top quality applicants. Lots of people aren't that confident of getting perfect grades. I mean, why pick Exeter as your firm when you could go for somewhere like York/Warwick etc with better reputations and who ask for a safer AAB?? :confused:
Reply 21
~Jen~
I mean, why pick Exeter as your firm when you could go for somewhere like York/Warwick etc with better reputations and who ask for a safer AAB?? :confused:

Yeah I know. It's stupid. If I get an offer from Exeter, and it's AAA (which it probably will be), I will be put off going there because i'm not confident of getting three A's.
Reply 22
hazzie1
Kent definately give fairly low offers and are quite well known for English. Edinburgh I believe is supposed to be good, and they give BBB - in prospectus

I know people who got an AAB offers at Kent for English last year.

English has always been competitive. Lancaster is a good choice fora lower offer but their course used to have a fair bit of English lang in it (I don't know whether thats still the case)
viviki
I know people who got an AAB offers at Kent for English last year.

English has always been competitive. Lancaster is a good choice fora lower offer but their course used to have a fair bit of English lang in it (I don't know whether thats still the case)

I was rejected from Warwick and UEA and got ABB offers from Royal Holloway and Lancaster. Opted for Lancaster (as you can see from my sig!) as the cost of living in that area is so much lower and I was dubious about Royal Holloway's high private school intake and its so-called 'right-wing past'. Plus, Lancaster is rated as excellent by the Times for English and Royal Holloway isn't.

I don't know about the course being full of language . . . in fact, Lancaster has the most flexible degree programmes I've come across, due to their policy of students studying three subjects in their first year. There's a wide variety of modules to choose between and I was really impressed by the lecturers at my departmental open day - they were brilliant speakers and seemed very professional, yet approachable.
but then again bristol gets over 2000 applicants for 65 places and they still ask for AAB. It's up to them I suppose.

Getting places at university isn't just about the grades. It's about how rocking your personal statement is. I got a lovely letter from Lancaster giving me an offer of BBB, lower than pretty much everyone else who has applied to that course. I've been predicted A/B, B/C and C in my A levels, and was accepted at three out of the six (rejected by Leeds, UEA and Edinburgh).
Since the entry requirements have been LOWERED for me, surely they are basing my aptitude for English on my absolutely brilliant personal statement and not my 'low' grade predictions?
BTW, Kent are 8th best for English according to The Times league tables.
I know exactly how you feel - I had an enormous shock when I realised how many people apply for English!! It had never occurred to me before either. Well I've done a lot of research into universities for English (and History - might apply for joint honours at some places; purely because I love both subjects, as the joint course is often equally competitive. If I were you I'd ignore advice to do a joint course purely because it's "easier to get in for", as you'll be expected to have passion for both subjects, not just one, and once you get there you'll have to study both for at least 3 years... If I'd wanted better odds at certain unis I'd have decided to apply for English&French, but I don't love French enough).

If it helps, having researched courses (which is the most important thing imo, Oxford's would be awful for me for instance) and lots of info on universities I decided on: Cambridge (you can study foreign lit for a mod and the course is interesting and flexible), York (lovely campus, FANTASTIC course imo), Edinburgh (great rep. & great course, comparatively low offers if you get one), Leeds (my English teacher went there and says it's fab), Birmingham (great rep. for English tons of courses to chose from), Durham (good course beautiful place but *apparently* for English you need good GCSEs as tis v competitive and exc. applicants).

Hope that helps :smile: Oh also I found the guardian book on universities a useful & objective guide :smile:
Warwick this year had 2,800 applicants for 100 places, they told me. I applied post A-level with AAAB plus the AEA and got rejected without interview. :frown:

Got an offer from Bristol though. :biggrin:

Last year I got an AAB offer from Birmingham, ABB from Nottingham, 320 points inc. B in English from Reading and AAA (originally AAAB, the cheek!) from Exeter.

Latest

Trending

Trending