The Student Room Group

A level chemistry question

Can I write...
2- pentanol or do I have to write pentan-2-ol
and
Can i write...
2- Pentene or no i have to write Pent-2-ene
The IUPAC names for those would be pentan-2-ol and pent-2-ene. Although they're not wrong, it's better if you get into the habit of writing their IUPAC names (since they are what questions usually ask for).
Original post by JJK456
Can I write...
and
Can i write...

I was taught to write the numbers in the middle of the names to make clear where the functional groups or C=C-double bonds in the organic substance are and which C-atom is connected to, so

Pentan-2-ol and Pent-2-ene
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by JJK456
Can I write...
and
Can i write...

Pentan-2-ol and pent-2-ene as the number indicates the position of the functional group, pentan-2-ol indicates the hydroxyl group is bonded to the second carbon.
Original post by ashvinsingh
Pentan-2-ol and pent-2-ene as the number indicates the position of the functional group, pentan-2-ol indicates the hydroxyl group is bonded to the second carbon.

Yes this is exactly right because imagine if you had a more complicated molecule which had more numbers
Original post by ashvinsingh

Precisely! that is the way I wrote the names and I was taught in nomenclature. And you explained the reason why. Well, well.
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest