The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

2022 Carmel college foundation year questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Is there any way I can find out how many hours a week the computer science foundation year is?

I had two lessons per week at 2 hours, so 4 hours per week.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
I had two lessons per week at 2 hours, so 4 hours per week.

Hello everyone! I'm also going to be starting the CS foundation course at Carmel College this September! I could also do with some clarification on the timetable. I'm confused by other students stating earlier in this thread that they did not have many in-person lessons at Carmel College. Was this because of COVID last year? I'd like some clarification on this because I'm concerned I won't have enough time to fit in necessary part time work with a couple societies which seem to often have meetings from around 3PM to 5PM.

My confusion primarily stems from the fact that the information I have received ( Open Day / Carmel College Welcome Email ) has been sort of conflicting.

These are the two contradicting statements I've been told:

(A) On the one hand I've been told that the college week consists of continuous lessons Monday to Friday from 9AM to 4PM excluding Wednesday afternoons so students can engage with societies at the University of Liverpool. This is essentially just like 6th Form.

AND

(B) On the other hand I've been told that the college week consists of a 6 block system (1-2-3-4-5-6) where every number (e.g. 1) is linked to 3 different periods (Each period is on a different day where every day has 6 possible periods) within a week. Foundation year students are assigned to 3 of these teaching blocks every week. This makes for a total of 9 periods every week.

So teaching block number 1 (n1) might look like this:

[Monday] block n1 = period 3 (11:10AM to 12:30AM)
[Tuesday] block n1 = period 5 (1:20PM to 2:40PM)
[Friday] block n1 = period 1 (9AM to 10:50AM)

So if you were assigned "teaching blocks" 1-2-3 for a particular week you would end up having something like the above example in addition to 2 other teaching blocks (n2 and n3 in this case) as you have a total of 3 different teaching blocks. You would have a total of 9 periods in that week and as far as I can tell this system would pretty much mean you'd have to go into Carmel College most days of the week.

Could anyone let me know if statement (A) is true or if statement (B) is true?

Cheers!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by anon029184508
Hello everyone! I'm also going to be starting the CS foundation course at Carmel College this September! I could also do with some clarification on the timetable. I'm confused by other students stating earlier in this thread that they did not have many in-person lessons at Carmel College. Was this because of COVID last year? I'd like some clarification on this because I'm concerned I won't have enough time to fit in necessary part time work with a couple societies which seem to often have meetings from around 3PM to 5PM.

My confusion primarily stems from the fact that the information I have received ( Open Day / Carmel College Welcome Email ) has been sort of conflicting.

These are the two contradicting statements I've been told:

(A) On the one hand I've been told that the college week consists of continuous lessons Monday to Friday from 9AM to 4PM excluding Wednesday afternoons so students can engage with societies at the University of Liverpool. This is essentially just like 6th Form.

AND

(B) On the other hand I've been told that the college week consists of a 6 block system (1-2-3-4-5-6) where every number (e.g. 1) is linked to 3 different periods (Each period is on a different day where every day has 6 possible periods) within a week. Foundation year students are assigned to 3 of these teaching blocks every week. This makes for a total of 9 periods every week.

So teaching block number 1 (n1) might look like this:

[Monday] block n1 = period 3 (11:10AM to 12:30AM)
[Tuesday] block n1 = period 5 (1:20PM to 2:40PM)
[Friday] block n1 = period 1 (9AM to 10:50AM)

So if you were assigned "teaching blocks" 1-2-3 for a particular week you would end up having something like the above example in addition to 2 other teaching blocks (n2 and n3 in this case) as you have a total of 3 different teaching blocks. You would have a total of 9 periods in that week and as far as I can tell this system would pretty much mean you'd have to go into Carmel College most days of the week.

Could anyone let me know if statement (A) is true or if statement (B) is true?

Cheers!

Hi! I’ve just finished the CS program at Carmel, going into first year this September. We had all in class teaching this year, it was the last year that was affected by covid.

With CS, you’ll take I expect identical to me, which is Computing, Mathematics and Additional Mathematics.

I was lucky and was timetabled in 3 days per week. Which were Tuesday Thursday Friday. On Tuesday I had three lessons, Thursday Three lessons and Friday Two lessons with an academic advisor slot. That being said, my attendance was like %30 this year so it’s not like the timetable meant much to me. Lessons are two hours long and begin at 9 and college day ends at 4pm if I remember rightly. You could have a lesson 9-11 and then nothing until 2-4 which would be annoying as you’d have to twiddle your thumbs for a few hours or do work in the social area

That being said, a lot of people who did CS were in 4 days a week, I don’t know any that were in 5 days a week, mainly either 4 or 3 - but those who were in 4 days a week were really annoyed because there wasn’t even a lesson on, it was just an academic advisor slot, which is compulsory, as it’s recorded on your attendance, but I wasn’t really bothered about my attendance.
Original post by cilyrah
Hi all! I received a conditional offer for the foundation year for computer science and I had a couple of questions about it

1) what's the best option for accommodation? Do I go into student halls the foundation year and travel to Carmel? then for the next year, would I also go into student accommodation? or do what most people do their second years and go private

2) What's the workload like? I'm doing IB Higher Maths so is it similar to that? (Like a-level maths but a bit easier)

3) Is foundation year at Carmel basically like 6th form again or is it more like how I'd imagine university to be like? /

4) How did foundation year at Carmel compare to the first year of your Liverpool course? And how was your transition from foundation to first year?

Thank you to anyone who helps! I want to know more about carmel to know if it's
Original post by cilyrah
Hi all! I received a conditional offer for the foundation year for computer science and I had a couple of questions about it

1) what's the best option for accommodation? Do I go into student halls the foundation year and travel to Carmel? then for the next year, would I also go into student accommodation? or do what most people do their second years and go private

2) What's the workload like? I'm doing IB Higher Maths so is it similar to that? (Like a-level maths but a bit easier)

3) Is foundation year at Carmel basically like 6th form again or is it more like how I'd imagine university to be like? /

4) How did foundation year at Carmel compare to the first year of your Liverpool course? And how was your transition from foundation to first year?

Thank you to anyone who helps! I want to know more about carmel to know if it's "worth it" haha

Hi hope you have settled

I am in yr13 wanted to apply for FY computer science in livepool and was wondering what exactly have you done to to guarantee an offer ..any entry requirements for instance any predicted grades..etc ..please help
Hi hope you have settled

I am in yr13 wanted to apply for FY computer science in livepool and was wondering what exactly have you done to to guarantee an offer ..any entry requirements for instance any predicted grades..etc ..please help

Hi there,

I'm glad to hear that you are considering the foundation year for computer science at the University of Liverpool. So the typical offer is for A-levels of CDD. If you have any more questions about the University of Liverpool or the city then feel free to ask :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

I'm glad to hear that you are considering the foundation year for computer science at the University of Liverpool. So the typical offer is for A-levels of CDD. If you have any more questions about the University of Liverpool or the city then feel free to ask :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

thank you very much for your reply..so if I am a predicted BCC and an already established A* student with no maths or Computer science subjects will I be considered then ??…and what determines moving from FY to year one please?
thank you very much for your reply..so if I am a predicted BCC and an already established A* student with no maths or Computer science subjects will I be considered then ??…and what determines moving from FY to year one please?

Hi there,

It states that the A-levels should be in "in related subjects" so it depends on what subjects you are currently studying. If you do have BCC in related subjects then you are likely to be considered. You need to pass your FY to progress to year one, the pass grade if it is the same as other years at University is 40%. However, I don't have experience of this at Cartmel College, so perhaps someone else on the thread as advice on this.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Studnet Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending