The Student Room Group

Can I choose to get paid monthly rather than weekly

Just wondered you see as I’m thinking for the future as for when I do more hours like 5 days a week
Original post by success4life
Just wondered you see as I’m thinking for the future as for when I do more hours like 5 days a week

Depends on the job, most employers pay using a monthly payroll system, however others choose to pay you for the work you do, if for example your job is temporary.
Original post by Dentaldreams
Depends on the job, most employers pay using a monthly payroll system, however others choose to pay you for the work you do, if for example your job is temporary.

I get paid weekly and I work 4 days a week. But I’m wondering whether they could just pay me every month
I get paid weekly and I work 4 days a week. But I’m wondering whether they could just pay me every month

What’s the job and hours? It also depends on the volume of employees.
Have you talked to your manager/employer?
What’s the job and hours? It also depends on the volume of employees.
Have you talked to your manager/employer?

I haven’t because I thought it would seem daft if you can’t actually do this. I am working at Wetherspoons as a bartender whilst at uni.
I haven’t because I thought it would seem daft if you can’t actually do this. I am working at Wetherspoons as a bartender whilst at uni.

Right so, what kind of contract is it, Is it fairly flexible? because if so i.e you’re not doing set hours every week they might find it easier to do you wages so that they are done because you may not work as many shifts the following week. If you get my drift? Although I am hypothetically speaking of course. Otherwise have you asked your colleagues? does everyone get paid weekly?
Right so, what kind of contract is it, Is it fairly flexible? because if so i.e you’re not doing set hours every week they might find it easier to do you wages so that they are done because you may not work as many shifts the following week. If you get my drift? Although I am hypothetically speaking of course. Otherwise have you asked your colleagues? does everyone get paid weekly?

My contract is between 18-21 hours a week. But I’m doing an extra day at the minute as i just bought a car.
everybody else gets paid weekly apart from the managers. It’s a permanent role but I’m doing part time but kind of full time as well as I do more hours than I am scheduled for
It depends.
Upon your income level, the employer's payment preferences and whether you find it easier to be paid weekly/fortnightly/monthly.
I prefer being paid weekly.
My contract is between 18-21 hours a week. But I’m doing an extra day at the minute as i just bought a car.
everybody else gets paid weekly apart from the managers. It’s a permanent role but I’m doing part time but kind of full time as well as I do more hours than I am scheduled for

If everyone else gets paid weekly then unfortunately that’s probably how they prefer to sort the wages.
If you don’t mind me asking, why does it matter if you get paid monthly as opposed to weekly? I mean I get paid monthly but I don’t think it would bother me to get paid weekly.
However if that is what you would prefer then there’s no harm in asking.
Reply 9

It's very unlikely that any employer is going to make special payroll arrangements to suit one individual.

You can, of course, make your own arrangements to approximate being paid monthly, as follows:

1. open a savings account with your bank, being sure you can pay money in via sort-code and account number
2. give the details for that account to your employer as being the account for your pay to be deposited to
3. at the end of each month, transfer the balance of that savings account to your current account, leaving only a token amount sufficient to keep the savings account open.
Original post by martin7
It's very unlikely that any employer is going to make special payroll arrangements to suit one individual.

You can, of course, make your own arrangements to approximate being paid monthly, as follows:

1. open a savings account with your bank, being sure you can pay money in via sort-code and account number
2. give the details for that account to your employer as being the account for your pay to be deposited to
3. at the end of each month, transfer the balance of that savings account to your current account, leaving only a token amount sufficient to keep the savings account open.

This is a really good idea. At the Moment I am just transferring weekly but this is a sound idea. One I’ll defintely do. Thank you for this answer
If everyone else gets paid weekly then unfortunately that’s probably how they prefer to sort the wages.
If you don’t mind me asking, why does it matter if you get paid monthly as opposed to weekly? I mean I get paid monthly but I don’t think it would bother me to get paid weekly.
However if that is what you would prefer then there’s no harm in asking.

Thank you, I just prefer it. You could say I’m just used to it and wondered whether it was an option if so thought I could
Thank you, I just prefer it. You could say I’m just used to it and wondered whether it was an option if so thought I could

No problem, I understand what you mean. Hopefully you can get a word in?

It's very unlikely that your employer will agree to it. Some employers pay monthly, some pay weekly, a few pay fortnightly. Thats the way they do it for everyone. Employers aren't going to make special arrangements just for one employee.

The people to ask are your employers. Some may be able to make such an arrangement for you, but very few would I'd imagine.

More to the point, when you're on monthly, you'll miss weekly pay. I guarantee it.
Normally they run payroll when they run payroll. It's unlikely that you will be able to choose.

I've had both - it's not a big deal unless you are living hand to mouth, at which point weekly is preferable anyway. The only pain with weekly payslips is if you end up having to provide proof of income over a long period. I was asked for I think 6 months to guarantee my son's accommodation contract. They decided they didn't need that many when I asked them if they really wanted copies of 26 identical payslips...
The one problem no one has addressed is NI payments if you earn say £200.00 wk 1 then £300.00 wk 2 as I do then there is no NI on wk 1 as under threshold yet wk 2 is above so NI is paid if paid monthly or 4 weekly it would be averaged out
Companies will usually if not always have a set payroll period unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending