The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for another 2yrs of finance?

I enrolled and started university in 2019 for a 3yr undergraduate degree. I struggled with depression and so reached out for help from a GP, I was prescribed medication. The medication I was on lead me to have severe side effects that caused my depression/anxiety worsen. I decided it would be best for me to take a year out to recover, get some therapy & eventually gets a job to re-build my social confidence so that I could return to uni the following year. (I was only at uni for 3 months & I did not fail any assignments)

COVID became an issue around 2 months after I dropped out. I really needed to reintegrate myself into the community as I had been incredibly isolated for months, but with COViD it was proving especially difficult to get a job or volunteering role.

I was due to start 1st year again & when I arrived my anxiety was unmanageable, most likely because I had spent 6 months of being isolated with my family. & with all courses being online I couldn’t see how my anxiety could improve. For my health, I decided to take another year out (I was only at university for one week) in the hopes that covid would resolve & I could finally get a job.

When I returned, I past 1st year with a 2.1. I was doing well in 2nd year, until the last 2 months where my depression rapidly became worse & I fell behind on a few assignments. As things are feeling quite overwhelming right now I have been considering repeating the year.

If I decide to repeat a year, what will this look like for my student finance? I’m very concerned as I don’t feel that my parents will be able to support me & I don’t think I could sustain working almost full-time to cover the costs for 2yrs. I have been meaning to re-trial medication 1/2 way through 2nd yr, but I was too concerned that side effects would interfere during my exams as I introduced it to my system. If I could repeat the year, that would allow me 3 months in the summer to introduce the medication so hopefully I am in a better position to manage 2nd year. I am determined to complete my degree and Ik what steps I need to take to ensure I am not in this position again.

Could I be considered for finance to cover the 2nd yr repeat and my 3rd year, or could I be considered for 1 of those years?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by AImeegx101
I enrolled and started university in 2019 for a 3yr undergraduate degree. I struggled with depression and so reached out for help from a GP, I was prescribed medication. The medication I was on lead me to have severe side effects that caused my depression/anxiety worsen. I decided it would be best for me to take a year out to recover, get some therapy & eventually gets a job to re-build my social confidence so that I could return to uni the following year. (I was only at uni for 3 months & I did not fail any assignments)

COVID became an issue around 2 months after I dropped out. I really needed to reintegrate myself into the community as I had been incredibly isolated for months, but with COViD it was proving especially difficult to get a job or volunteering role.

I was due to start 1st year again & when I arrived my anxiety was unmanageable, most likely because I had spent 6 months of being isolated with my family. & with all courses being online I couldn’t see how my anxiety could improve. For my health, I decided to take another year out (I was only at university for one week) in the hopes that covid would resolve & I could finally get a job.

When I returned, I past 1st year with a 2.1. I was doing well in 2nd year, until the last 2 months where my depression rapidly became worse & I fell behind on a few assignments. As things are feeling quite overwhelming right now I have been considering repeating the year.

If I decide to repeat a year, what will this look like for my student finance? I’m very concerned as I don’t feel that my parents will be able to support me & I don’t think I could sustain working almost full-time to cover the costs for 2yrs. I have been meaning to re-trial medication 1/2 way through 2nd yr, but I was too concerned that side effects would interfere during my exams as I introduced it to my system. If I could repeat the year, that would allow me 3 months in the summer to introduce the medication so hopefully I am in a better position to manage 2nd year. I am determined to complete my degree and Ik what steps I need to take to ensure I am not in this position again.

Could I be considered for finance to cover the 2nd yr repeat and my 3rd year, or could I be considered for 1 of those years?

Hi there,

Just to clarify, including the year you're currently in how many years of study have you done so far, is it 3?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Just to clarify, including the year you're currently in how many years of study have you done so far, is it 3?

Thanks, Graeme

I did one term in first year & then took 2yrs out as break in studies.

I then returned for year 1 & completed. I am now towards the end of year 2. So, I am about to complete 2yrs of study.

But, idk if the 2yrs I took out are counted as years of study. If they are then I would be considered to be in my 4th year at the moment.
(edited 10 months ago)
I did one term in first year & then took 2yrs out as break in studies.

I then returned for year 1 & completed. I am now towards the end of year 2. So, I am about to complete 2yrs of study.

But, idk if the 2yrs I took out are counted as years of study. If they are then I would be considered to be in my 4th year at the moment.

Hi there,

We will only take the 2 years of previous study into account (if this includes the year you attended for 1 week, as this is considered as a year of previous study). You would be best providing evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons as to why you were unable to continue your course at that time. We can accept a GP letter that confirms, what happened, when this happened and how this directly impacted your studies.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

We will only take the 2 years of previous study into account (if this includes the year you attended for 1 week, as this is considered as a year of previous study). You would be best providing evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons as to why you were unable to continue your course at that time. We can accept a GP letter that confirms, what happened, when this happened and how this directly impacted your studies.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare

I have provided evidence through GP letters/ therapy notes for both those years of break in study previously that were sent to student finance and accepted at the time. So, with evidence of personal reasons, if I repeat 2nd year will I be covered for my repeat and 3rd year?

I would imagine I would not be covered for the repeat of 2nd year and then my 3rd year if those 2 previous years are counted. Having to cover only 1 year would be much more manageable. Is there any way I could be granted one extra year?
(edited 10 months ago)
I have provided evidence through GP letters/ therapy notes for both those years of break in study previously that were sent to student finance and accepted at the time. So, with evidence of personal reasons, if I repeat 2nd year will I be covered for my repeat and 3rd year?

I would imagine I would not be covered for the repeat of 2nd year and then my 3rd year if those 2 previous years are counted. Having to cover only 1 year would be much more manageable. Is there any way I could be granted one extra year?

Hi there, based on what you are advising that would be correct - funded for year 3 but not for year 2 unless you have further CPR evidence for the repeat year. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending