The Student Room Group

British Council Language Assistants 2022/23

Couldn't find a recent thread on this so decided to make one. I'm planning to go to Spain.

Scroll to see replies

I just replied to you in the other thread haha. I'm looking to go to Spain too.
Reply 2
Hi, I was looking for a thread for the 22/3 applicants. I’m doing the application for Spain atm although only have very little experience teaching so unsure whether I will get accepted. What about you guys?
Original post by izzyka
Hi, I was looking for a thread for the 22/3 applicants. I’m doing the application for Spain atm although only have very little experience teaching so unsure whether I will get accepted. What about you guys?

I wouldn't worry. Most applicants will have zero experience teaching as are doing it as part of a year abroad at Uni.
Hi I'm currently a fourth year languages student doing the program myself in the Malaga province. I just want to say that if you have facebook I strongly recommend joining the facebook groups for british council ELAs in spain for info and Auxiliares de conversacion (actually for american assistants) where I get half my materials plus the general ela group. Here's the links to the groups.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/363596581741945
https://www.facebook.com/groups/887860818457093
https://www.facebook.com/groups/540321153520074
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1293027697382684

All those groups will provide you with a wealth of information as you'll see this years lot figuring out the visa process together, people calming each others nerves, comiserating about bad schools in bad areas and many other things. I literally would not have survived this process or program without these groups so use them plus my main advice for you lot is patience with the application process is a virtue (PS if you bookmark the link to the portal or save it somewhere you can still access it after the application deadline and see the status of your application before they confirm it via email) and with the visa process just get started as soon as you get your nombramiento and where possible try to start gathering the documents earlier.

Best of luck! The 2021-22 lot were the brexit guinea pigs so I hope you guys have an easier ride than we did. I don't check this website often but feel free to PM me
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ailsa1999
Hi I'm currently a fourth year languages student doing the program myself in the Malaga province. I just want to say that if you have facebook I strongly recommend joining the facebook groups for british council ELAs in spain for info and Auxiliares de conversacion (actually for american assistants) where I get half my materials plus the general ela group. Here's the links to the groups.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/363596581741945
https://www.facebook.com/groups/887860818457093
https://www.facebook.com/groups/540321153520074
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1293027697382684

All those groups will provide you with a wealth of information as you'll see this years lot figuring out the visa process together, people calming each others nerves, comiserating about bad schools in bad areas and many other things. I literally would not have survived this process or program without these groups so use them plus my main advice for you lot is patience with the application process is a virtue (PS if you bookmark the link to the portal or save it somewhere you can still access it after the application deadline and see the status of your application before they confirm it via email) and with the visa process just get started as soon as you get your nombramiento and where possible try to start gathering the documents earlier.

Best of luck! The 2021-22 lot were the brexit guinea pigs so I hope you guys have an easier ride than we did. I don't check this website often but feel free to PM me

I don't use Facebook, appreciate the information though, thanks. What was the experience like for you personally?
I'm applying :smile:

I'm a fourth year languages student and had my year abroad cancelled last year so I'm trying to make up for it haha.
Reply 7
I’m not a languages student but am finishing my undergrad this year. Are there many non language students that apply for the ELA as I’m yet to come across any! I am unsure whether this may disadvantage my application?
Reply 8
Original post by izzyka
I’m not a languages student but am finishing my undergrad this year. Are there many non language students that apply for the ELA as I’m yet to come across any! I am unsure whether this may disadvantage my application?

Considering how many positions are available in Spain, I think you will be fine.
I'm in the same boat, but I want to go to France. The website says that language students with compulsory years abroad will be preferred, but that doesn't mean we won't be able to go too :smile:

Original post by izzyka
Anybody here applying to China? I finished my application the other day! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by EllieVickers
Anybody here applying to China? I finished my application the other day! :smile:

Hi! I am applying to China, I just haven't completed my application yet!
Hi all and good luck with your application!

I have a technical question. I submitted my application on Monday 17th Jan, but didn't get any kind of confirmation email.
On the portal its saying awaiting reference on ID/type/stage. I thought the referees were emailed as soon as the application is sent which makes me think there's an issue, especially with not getting the confirmation email and my tutor would be pretty rapid with this kind of thing!
Am I panicking for nothing? I don't want to miss out this year!
Cheers, Peter
Original post by Petrakis81
Hi all and good luck with your application!

I have a technical question. I submitted my application on Monday 17th Jan, but didn't get any kind of confirmation email.
On the portal its saying awaiting reference on ID/type/stage. I thought the referees were emailed as soon as the application is sent which makes me think there's an issue, especially with not getting the confirmation email and my tutor would be pretty rapid with this kind of thing!
Am I panicking for nothing? I don't want to miss out this year!
Cheers, Peter

You should get a confirmation email. I would email your tutor and ask if there are any issues. :smile:
Original post by zoe_587
Hi! I am applying to China, I just haven't completed my application yet!

Ahh so cool! What regions are you thinking of putting as your preferences? I'm just waiting for my lecturer to submit my reference
Hey a bit more advice for you guys as I was super paranoid about this is with the application you won't hear anything officially until April when you'll get the email saying you've been shortlisted. I checked on the portal daily for months and didn't hear about my shortlist on the site till only a few days before the official email and I ended up in my first choice region so believe me if it feels like everyone sees they're being shortlisted before you don't panic my application just said review for months on that portal so don't panic and have breakdowns because when they say the order of the applications that are shortlisted doesn't matter they mean it. Also there were a good number of people who got waitlisted at regional allocations meaning that shortlisted doesn't mean you have a place. Plus I hate to break it to ya but for my year the requirements were 2 years of uni at least and now its only having a levels so um there may be more applicants than in my year when we had 2000 applicants for 1000 places only in Spain. The clue if you're getting waitlisted at allocation is watch out on those facebook groups and people will start getting them and they'll all come in at roughly the same time and well if it seems like the majority already have them sorry guys you're out of luck but they didn't tell anyone on the waitlist till only a few days before the deadline for regional allocations to come through. But most people got places off the waitlist so maybe try hold out but if you're a uni student you may be screwed as there's mountains of paperwork to be completed. Plus I know of at least one person who made it off the waitlist and was told in a few days she'd get her school nomination and was super excited as Andalucia is competitive and instead she got an email telling her that they'd been told the andalusian authorities weren't accepting anymore even off the waitlist so she'd get reallocated.

I hate to be a pessimist guys but BC are not the most helpful people in the world and take their time on everything.
Hi guys,

Its the night before the application is due. I have the majority of the application filled out however, there are some last minute things that I need to complete. However, every time I go onto the BC application portal it says server is busy. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem and what we should do?
Hi there. Anyone else struggling to access the website? Saying it's busy due to high demand. My application is all ready to go but I just need to actually submit it!
Original post by ollypocket
Hi there. Anyone else struggling to access the website? Saying it's busy due to high demand. My application is all ready to go but I just need to actually submit it!

Hi yes I'm the same, I still cant access it. Everytime I try to reword something as I proof read and then click save it says the application has timed out and nothing is saving. Its soo frustrating! :frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by _hashbrowns
Hi yes I'm the same, I still cant access it. Everytime I try to reword something as I proof read and then click save it says the application has timed out and nothing is saving. Its soo frustrating! :frown:

Feel your pain!
My application keeps disappearing completely off the system ha. So annoying, just hoping it gets sorted before the deadline... fingers crossed - good luck

Also sorry just spotted your post above mine - we must have been typing at the same time!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending