The Student Room Group

Oxford theology

Hi guys :smile:

I wanted to ask if there was anyone else that has been offered a place for Theology and Religion at Oxford! If you’ve let me know because I’d love to chat to some people before hand. I’ve been offered a place at Regent’s Park College - but even if you’ve been offered a place at a different college I’d still love to talk!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Stella18

I wanted to ask if there was anyone else that has been offered a place for Theology and Religion at Oxford! If you’ve let me know because I’d love to chat to some people before hand. I’ve been offered a place at Regent’s Park College - but even if you’ve been offered a place at a different college I’d still love to talk!

Hi! A year late but I’ve also been offered a place for Theology at Regent’s. How is going for you and what is Regent’s like? <33
Reply 2
Original post by boo0_x

Hi! A year late but I’ve also been offered a place for Theology at Regent’s. How is going for you and what is Regent’s like? <33

congratulations!! I'm applying for next year. how were your interviews?
Reply 3
Original post by d7an

congratulations!! I'm applying for next year. how were your interviews?

thanks! good luck with your application! <3 I'd advise you to start thinking about what work you’re going to submit and try to get a timely start. unfortunately, i can't give specifics due to the code of conduct. but, my first interview almost acted as a warm up for my second one (regent's was my second one). in the first, i went silent a couple times, couldn't remember things i’d read and wasn't really able to tie in much of my wider knowledge. the facilitators stayed patient and warm. i was annoyed with how it went but i knew it wasn’t an accurate representation of who I was so I took the rest of the day to regroup then started prepping for the next one.

my second one went a LOT better in my opinion. especially because i knew what to expect and where i messed up. I didn't forget anything, I talked through my thought processes, defined and explained things better. Even my general demeanor was better and more engaged in this one too. It wasn’t perfect but it was a big improvement. In my head, at the end, i was like even if i don’t get in, i’m satisfied with how it went.

TIPS

Try your best to make your environment calm before your interview. i did mine at home and for my first interview, my family were moving around and doing things in the room until literally a couple minutes before it started which probably wasn’t the best idea LOOL. for the second one, i was much calmer because i was alone for around ten minutes before it started and ten minutes after so i could reflect on how i thought it went.
Remember your interviewers are people. As dumb as it sounds, my first interview helped me deep that the tutors were actually humans which made it a lot easier to talk to them in my second interview--my enthusiasm and personality defo came through a lot more.

Do your homework!! Applications closed in October, written work was due in November and interviews were (for me) first week of december. This meant that the stuff i submitted were not completely fresh in my mind. Make sure you give yourself enough time to go over your ps and written work and consider what they could ask you about. They will most likely ask about your personal statement because they must’ve found it interesting if they picked you. They may ask about specific things in your written work or they might not mention it at all. But better safe than sorry.

Try to go over available resources. esp previously asked theology interview questions and watch a mock interview if available. There's one on youtube from oxford, pause it as you watch it to think about the answers. It may also help to go over a couple philosophy interview questions too. If you do a practice interview with someone, try and do it virtually if the interviews will be virtual or in person if they will be in person.

Explain your thoughts as they happen. I found it really helpful to go “well, immediately, after hearing [xxx] i’m starting to think that [xxx] because it made explaining my points easier and more natural. also, the tutors could see the journey to the answer instead of me just going “oh, i think it's about the patriarchy”. There's not really a right or wrong answer.

Try and bring in wider knowledge. After i wasn’t able to do this in my first interview, it made me sm more determined to do it the second time around. Overall, i think i brought up, unprompted, two podcasts, a lecture series, some theories and a journal article. ALSO, if you’ve started reading any new theology books after submission, try to remember something you found interesting about it in case they ask what you’ve read since. It’s not by force to shove it at them but ig it just shows your passion for it.

Ask for clarification. If you don’t understand something literally just ask. If you’re unsure, just go, “so, just to double check, you’re asking me [xxx]?”or “could you rephrase the question please?”. It shows you're listening and trying to think about it.

It's not the end of the world. It's cliche but something that kept me going was the idea that if its meant to be then it will be. It made it sm less stressful and made the wait for the offer more bearable. Applying to oxford wasn’t really something i’d considered much until near the end of year 12 so i had had exposure to other unis too. Make sure you keep in mind that you get to apply to FIVE unis in total and that you can make your experience at ANY of them great. Someone i know said something like someone getting an interview is good but even applying is indicative of their drive and ambition.

When your interviews are over, make sure to take a break + celebrate your efforts, then focus on your A Levels! Regardless of the outcome, you can’t get in without the grades and, for me, exams are rapidly approaching LOOOL.
I’d also advise you, when you get your interview, to consider keeping it on a need-to-know basis. It really takes a lot of pressure off your shoulders. Best of luck once again and if you have any more questions lmk <33
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4

Hey,
I’ve been desperately trying to find people who have got offers from Regents! I’ve got an offer for history :smile:)
Reply 5
Original post by undefined
Hey,
I’ve been desperately trying to find people who have got offers from Regents! I’ve got an offer for history :smile:)

congrats! that's literally so real omg, i couldn't find any accomidation pics either LOL. was Regent' your first choice?
Reply 6
Original post by boo0_x
congrats! that's literally so real omg, i couldn't find any accomidation pics either LOL. was Regent' your first choice?

No I actually applied to Magdalen, but after my interview with Regents I actually preferred it, the people just seemed so much nicer 😂 Was it your first choice?
Reply 7
Original post by Honey_05
No I actually applied to Magdalen, but after my interview with Regents I actually preferred it, the people just seemed so much nicer 😂 Was it your first choice?

that makes sense HAHA, luckily for me all the tutors i spoke to were really nice people. my first choice was worcester but i definitely felt better about how the regents interview went + from what i've heard it seems to have a cute tight knit community vibe going on so im happy w the outcome tbh. a liiittle weary of the lack of en suites tho LMFAOOO

how do you think the process went for you overall?
Reply 8
Original post by boo0_x
that makes sense HAHA, luckily for me all the tutors i spoke to were really nice people. my first choice was worcester but i definitely felt better about how the regents interview went + from what i've heard it seems to have a cute tight knit community vibe going on so im happy w the outcome tbh. a liiittle weary of the lack of en suites tho LMFAOOO

how do you think the process went for you overall?

overall I was super happy with the HAT tbh, then my Magdalen interview was traumatic and I knew I hadn’t done too well. But then Regents saved the day I actually loved their interview sm :smile:

Oh the toilets feels me out, I did the uniq thing during the summer and we had to share toilets and it wasn’t too bad except everyone kept getting trapped in the showers 🥲

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending