The Student Room Group

Small loan for 18 year old

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any advice about getting a small loan of £500. I’m 18 years old and I need the loan as I am a private candidate needing to pay for my summer exams which all together is £500. The issue is I work agency work so the past month there hasn’t been many shifts so I basically don’t have enough. I was wondering any places that would consider giving me a loan of £500. More shifts have come up but I won’t get payed until after the deadline which is feb 10th so I need to get the £500 before the 10th of Feb. Any tips places to look. I can’t ask my parents and don’t have friends who have £500 to lend.

Scroll to see replies

Without being to personal is there a reason you can’t ask your parents?

The only option for a loan probably at 18 would have devastating interest which if you could immediately pay back would get you in a world of financial trouble.

Your bank may offer you an overdraft but again I stress caution as the interest rate really can effect you if it’s long term.
Reply 2
Original post by gandalfslipper
Without being to personal is there a reason you can’t ask your parents?

The only option for a loan probably at 18 would have devastating interest which if you could immediately pay back would get you in a world of financial trouble.

Your bank may offer you an overdraft but again I stress caution as the interest rate really can effect you if it’s long term.

My parents can’t afford to give me a loan of £490. I would payback the loan in 2 months
Original post by Ratas12
My parents can’t afford to give me a loan of £490. I would payback the loan in 2 months

Call Citizen's Advice and explain your situation:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
Call Citizen's Advice and explain your situation:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

What will they do ?
Original post by Ratas12
What will they do ?

They can give advice on loans etc. If you call your local branch they might have knowledge of local grants, etc that might be available to you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
They can give advice on loans etc. If you call your local branch they might have knowledge of locals grants, etc that might be available to you.

I’m applying to a local credit union which could provide me with £550 with 42.6% interest APR is that good?
Original post by Ratas12
I’m applying to a local credit union which could provide me with £550 with 42.6% interest APR is that good?

:shock: jesus, that's usury. I would do everything I could do not to take out that loan. The interest is far, far too high. For reference, a standard credit card would be charging anything from 10-19.9% APR. Even though you're only taking the loan out for a short period (presumably), you'd be paying about £20 a month interest on such a small sum of money.

Having said that, your bank would charge 39.9% now for an overdraft, so it's not that dissimilar. When would you pay the loan back in its entirety?
Reply 8
I’m planning to pay it all back entirely the next month
Reply 9
I had a call with my exam centre and decided just to leave it. And pay a late fee of £110 pounds for both subjects so £220 so I’m going to pay for my exams in March and pay 700 so I don’t have to deal with credit and debt as it’s too risky
Original post by Ratas12
I had a call with my exam centre and decided just to leave it. And pay a late fee of £110 pounds for both subjects so £220 so I’m going to pay for my exams in March and pay 700 so I don’t have to deal with credit and debt as it’s too risky

So rather than take out a loan or overdraft which you're sure you can repay the following month, and pay £20 for that facility, you'd rather pay £220 extra? Eleven times the amount you'd pay otherwise, and 40% more than the original sum...?

Is that good money management?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Reality Check
So rather than take out a loan or overdraft which you're sure you can repay the following month, and pay £20 for that facility, you'd rather pay £220 extra? Or 40% as much again...?

Is that good money management?

I don’t want to deal with the risk of credit debt and ruining my credit score because I’m sure now but what if something happens so to be safe I’ll n do that and just use the money I actually have.
Original post by Ratas12
I don’t want to deal with the risk of credit debt and ruining my credit score because I’m sure now but what if something happens so to be safe I’ll n do that and just use the money I actually have.

Fair enough - your money, your choice. Definitely the safest option not to take out credit.

Note that if you've never borrowed any money and paid it back satisfactorily, you've probably got a poor credit score anyway so that might be something to consider at a later date :smile:
Reply 13
Fair enough - your money, your choice. Definitely the safest option not to take out credit.

Note that if you've never borrowed any money and paid it back satisfactorily, you've probably got a poor credit score anyway so that might be something to consider at a later date :smile:

Wait what do u mean by that.
Reply 14

So what most people have a poor credit score anyways ?
Original post by Ratas12
So what most people have a poor credit score anyways ?

Why the attitude?
Reply 16
Why the attitude?

There’s no attitude I was genuinely asking a question phaha
Original post by Ratas12
There’s no attitude I was genuinely asking a question phaha

I see -your posts came across otherwise.

What I mean by it is (a) 'most people' don't have poor credit scores, and (b) if you don't ever borrow any money and have a record of satisfactorily paying it back, then you will have a poor credit score because there is no data on you. Credit scores work by looking at past behaviour - and if there isn't any, then you will obviously have a poor one.

That's not a reason to borrow money unnecessarily, by the way, but is just for your information, given you had mentioned your credit score several times.
Reply 18
I see -your posts came across otherwise.

What I mean by it is (a) 'most people' don't have poor credit scores, and (b) if you don't ever borrow any money and have a record of satisfactorily paying it back, then you will have a poor credit score because there is no data on you. Credit scores work by looking at past behaviour - and if there isn't any, then you will obviously have a poor one.

That's not a reason to borrow money unnecessarily, by the way, but is just for your information, given you had mentioned your credit score several times.

Oh I get u now. I’ll just pay for it and consider the late fee as I’m too scared to dabble in a area I have not much knowledge on.
Original post by Ratas12
Oh I get u now. I’ll just pay for it and consider the late fee as I’m too scared to dabble in a area I have not much knowledge on.

Fair enough - as I said, it's entirely your choice, of course.

Latest

Trending

Trending