The Student Room Group

Will I get rejected by EEE if I wrote a general Engineering Personal Statement

Hi, I've just submitted ucas last week, and i applied for cambridge (general eng), Imperial, ucl, manchester and southampton ( all EEE).

I am worried because my personal statement wasnt really relate to the whole 'electrical and electronic' side of engineering but more of a general eng ps. (Perhaps only 20% related), and I didnt specifically address i want to study a EEE degree. Does it affect my application for the other 4 unis?

appreciate it if anyone have had similar experiences or knows someone who do. :-)
Original post by 6ss&1movie_lin
Hi, I've just submitted ucas last week, and i applied for cambridge (general eng), Imperial, ucl, manchester and southampton ( all EEE).

I am worried because my personal statement wasnt really relate to the whole 'electrical and electronic' side of engineering but more of a general eng ps. (Perhaps only 20% related), and I didnt specifically address i want to study a EEE degree. Does it affect my application for the other 4 unis?

appreciate it if anyone have had similar experiences or knows someone who do. :-)

It would depend on how much emphasis those other unis place on the personal statement. (I don't know each of those other unis well enough to comment on that.)

Given that Cambridge allow you to submit an optional additional personal statement, it might have made more sense to have your UCAS personal statement very EEE-focussed and them use the Cambridge additional personal statement talk about general engineering.
Original post by DataVenia
It would depend on how much emphasis those other unis place on the personal statement. (I don't know each of those other unis well enough to comment on that.)

Given that Cambridge allow you to submit an optional additional personal statement, it might have made more sense to have your UCAS personal statement very EEE-focussed and them use the Cambridge additional personal statement talk about general engineering.

Thank you for responding and i completely agree. unfortunately it cant be undone, i just hope they wouldnt value ps that much.
Hi there,

Lots of people apply to different courses that are related to each other and have to generalise their personal statement. While it may have been better to specify your course, it is more to show your passion for engineering and I think if you have done this then you will be okay! You may get the chance to talk about EEE with the universities at interview and then you can get into specifics but if you have presented yourself as a good dedicated student then I wouldn't worry.

Since you have submitted then there is no use in worrying twice. Well done for getting your application in so now you can relax and just wait to hear back. Focus on your schoolwork and hobbies in the meantime.

Good luck with everything!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

Lots of people apply to different courses that are related to each other and have to generalise their personal statement. While it may have been better to specify your course, it is more to show your passion for engineering and I think if you have done this then you will be okay! You may get the chance to talk about EEE with the universities at interview and then you can get into specifics but if you have presented yourself as a good dedicated student then I wouldn't worry.

Since you have submitted then there is no use in worrying twice. Well done for getting your application in so now you can relax and just wait to hear back. Focus on your schoolwork and hobbies in the meantime.

Good luck with everything!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Thanks for the advice! yes I do need to stop worrying and move on (engaa in two days!). Though I did talk about things like robotics and control theory which i think are pretty relevant.
I don’t work in admissions & every university has a different method of accepting students (and these can change every year). However in general for engineering most admissions methods seem to primarily focus on applicants academic background.

Quick Reply

Latest