The Student Room Group

Official Dental Hygiene and Therapy (Oral Health Science) 2023 Entry Thread

Welcome to the DHT 2023 entry thread where you can discuss all things dental hygiene and therapy.

Feel free to discuss some of the below to help introduce yourselves and discuss your thoughts and plans throughout the application process:

What universities are you thinking of applying to/ have applied to

A level / IB / Higher/ BTEC/ Access Course predicted grades

Other qualifications (if applicable)

GCSE grades

Dental (Nursing) experience

Good luck with your applications
P.S. If you have any ideas about how the dentistry forum can be improved for DHT applicants/ students, feel free to suggest them below and tag me.

Just some general TSR rules (which you can find in the community guidelines) to take note of:

Do not ask for or post group chat links.

Do not ask for or post interview questions.

Do not offer to buy or sell items, including the promotion of dentistry courses.

Scroll to see replies

Excited that applications have opened up today , looking forward to it
Original post by Zahrah1m
Excited that applications have opened up today , looking forward to it

Do you mean UCAS extra?
Hey Everyone!

I'm a qualified dental nurse with 5 years experience. This is my second time applying, but my first time with my official grades awarded (non-pending). I previously studied Philosophy at university and have just completed an Access to Higher Education in Health Science. I also have GCSE's and A-levels.

I'm applying for -
Essex
Portsmouth (Hygiene and Hygiene/Therapy)
Kings College London
LSBU

I was interviewed by 2 different unis last year but I fell short on one or two of my answers. I'm not too disheartened as it was my first time and I had no idea what to expect.
Original post by Agifford
Hey Everyone!

I'm a qualified dental nurse with 5 years experience. This is my second time applying, but my first time with my official grades awarded (non-pending). I previously studied Philosophy at university and have just completed an Access to Higher Education in Health Science. I also have GCSE's and A-levels.

I'm applying for -
Essex
Kings College London
LSBU

I was interviewed by 2 different unis last year but I fell short on one or two of my answers. I'm not too disheartened as it was my first time and I had no idea what to expect.

Hi @Agifford...Thanks for your interest in studying at LSBU and good luck with your application! If you do have any questions, please do let me know :smile:

Kind regards,

Sindu- LSBU Team
Heyy! What unis is everyone applying to this year and with what qualifications? :smile:
Reply 6
hey guyss

this is my first time applying since i decided to change my course midway through 1st year. i’m a little scared though since this course is so competitive but i’m willing to give it a go.

i’m thinking of applying to cardiff, portsmouth, bristol, plymouth and birmingham for now😭
I have ABB in psychology, biology and sociology.
8 in English and 6 in Mathematics.

i’ve had a weeks work experience at my local dental practice before university and 400 recorded clinical hours at KCH (kings college hospital) during my 1st year at KCL.
Do you think i have a shot as many people are applying as qualified dental nurses?💕
Hi everyone, this would be my second time applying and I hope it would be my last.

Im applying with GCSE's, only A level Biology (currently studying), a dental nursing diploma and a health degree.

I am currently a dental nurse at a hospital and in total I have been nursing for 3 years.

I am applying for Dental Hygiene and Therapy at Portsmouth as well as Dental Hygiene at Portsmouth. Does anyone know if applying for these courses at the same uni would make me look like I don't know which one I want to do.

I am applying because I just really want to get onto the course in Portsmouth.
Hey everyone! This will be my first year applying. I am currently almost finished completing a dental nursing apprenticeship(almost 2yrs experience) and just started my access to he science course. I have 10 GCSEs (grade 4-8) and A level sociology, art and history (BBB). I’m thinking of applying to QMUL, Portsmouth, LSBU, King’s or Essex (if I apply to Essex I will 100% be doing the top up year as I would like to do dental therapy). I’m nervous for the process but excited for what the future holds :smile:
Original post by Jada_anna
Hey everyone! This will be my first year applying. I am currently almost finished completing a dental nursing apprenticeship(almost 2yrs experience) and just started my access to he science course. I have 10 GCSEs (grade 4-8) and A level sociology, art and history (BBB). I’m thinking of applying to QMUL, Portsmouth, LSBU, King’s or Essex (if I apply to Essex I will 100% be doing the top up year as I would like to do dental therapy). I’m nervous for the process but excited for what the future holds :smile:

I forgot to mention Birmingham aswell

Hi @Jada_anna...Good luck with your applications. If you need any support please do not hesitate to contact our Course Enquiries Team on: [email protected]/02078157500. Please see the link below for more information about your course:

www.lsbu.ac.uk/study/course-finder/dental-hygiene-2022-23

Kind regards,

LSBU Team
what unis are everyone applying for? xx
Original post by Amiharrop03
what unis are everyone applying for? xx

QMUL, LSBU, Birmingham, Portsmouth and King’s or Essex (haven’t decided between those yet)

Wbu? x
QMUL, LSBU, Birmingham, Portsmouth and King’s or Essex (haven’t decided between those yet)

Wbu? x

I’m really not sure it’s stessing me out because I didn’t really want to move far away from my city but all the unis are so far, I’m thinking Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Portsmouth, kings xx
Is anyone applying to Sheffield? x
Reply 15
Can some one suggest me what type of interview questions the unis might ask?
Have anyone had any interviews where they had to do or make something with paper while being questioned?
Reply 16
Hello, May I ask which unis you applied last year? what were your grades for your access course?
Original post by username5948171
Hey Everyone!

I'm applying for -
Essex
Kings College London
LSBU

(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by nurimm
Can some one suggest me what type of interview questions the unis might ask?
Have anyone had any interviews where they had to do or make something with paper while being questioned?

What course are you applying to? X
Hello everyone, I am just wondering if anyone could help me please. I am a adult nurse with a first class degree but looking to apply to the Sheffield higher education diploma for dental hygiene and therapy but apparently it’s not longer a exception course so I wouldn’t be funded? Just wondering if anyone had any advice please?
Original post by Daisydoo23!
Hello everyone, I am just wondering if anyone could help me please. I am a adult nurse with a first class degree but looking to apply to the Sheffield higher education diploma for dental hygiene and therapy but apparently it’s not longer a exception course so I wouldn’t be funded? Just wondering if anyone had any advice please?

You can student loan but I think it’s only for students who havnt already done a university degree? Email or ring them x

Quick Reply

Latest