The Student Room Group

Why is Glasgow such a bad city to study in

Hi, I'm studying MA in Fine Art at Glasgow School of Art, I moved in about a year about to what I thought was a great Idea, end COVID end of social Isolation, end of being alone. Since I've been here, I've found Glasgow to have some of the rudest and stuck up people in existence, to the point where it is boring to live and study here.

Glasgow School of Art 4/10 - Low, not even worth applying too, it has the same standard as a Polytechnic University. Its expensive, teaching is non existent, the staff are miserable, and material costs (paint, ink, wood canvas, etc) for being the cheapest place I've seen in the city are still expensive. Oh and not even a student union or bar, don't believe anything the GSA tells you. I did my under grad at UAL and this is a massive step down, so don't bother.

Glasgow as a city 2/10 - People make Glasgow, yes they do but most of them are in Glasgow for a reason. Some have said its the knife capital of Europe, we'll I haven't seen any knives yet but I have been mugged - in public - in broad daylight - and nobody does anything or bats an eyelid at you. My Rent at the Uni accommodation is £1200 a semester (depending on inflation of the state), My room is exactly 3m x 4m and there's a shared bathroom with 8 other people. The other accommodation "Maggies" is even worse, smaller rooms, 20 in a flat, 2 bathrooms. Thinking of going private? Landlords are so mean in Glasgow, they charge more and if they don't like you, they can kick you out without notice. There's actually a law that is only now just in place in Glasgow to stop this, even though its illegal everywhere else in the UK.
I'm a gay man, and this city is unbelievably homophobic. Last month I was at a Queer night in a student venue put on by local students, and I never heard the words; Fag, Pedo, Queer, Battyboy, etc so much in one place at one time by drunken Scottish lads. - And the doormen let them in and don't do a thing when you complain. This is a regular thing so get used to it. And your a woman, spiking of drinks is very common, even in safe spaces. The police don't enforce the law in Glasgow, it has its own laws and its an incredibly anxious place to live in. I wouldn't trust anybody who say's its a good city to study in.
Well I'm sorry to hear your experience in this city has apparently been so poor, but given your post becomes increasingly rude and unlikely sounding to people who live here in general like me, it's prob best for both our happiness if you seek your fortune elsewhere. :smile:
Glasgow is a bad city to study/live in because it will exacerbate any mental health issue you may have, if you stay there longer term. if you dont have any, the bad weather will cause them... Ive been through this as a uni student in Glasgow.... but i got out after graduation to a healthier place. also ive never seen a more run-down and littered city with so many obese and sick looking people.
Reply 3
Original post by pazuzupazuzu
Glasgow is a bad city to study/live in because it will exacerbate any mental health issue you may have, if you stay there longer term. if you dont have any, the bad weather will cause them... Ive been through this as a uni student in Glasgow.... but i got out after graduation to a healthier place. also ive never seen a more run-down and littered city with so many obese and sick looking people.

So you joined TSR after graduating?
Interesting.
Where have you moved to?
Original post by Quady
So you joined TSR after graduating?
Interesting.
Where have you moved to?

im here to warn others....
Glasgow is good as a getaway to all the scenic places in scotland but as i say if you stay there too long you will notice its a toxic environment. depends what you do. try an enjoy and keep busy. i enjoyed the first year and then i was fed up with the filth of the city.... the weather doesnt help...neither does the obsession with concrete

im in Bournemouth
Reply 5
Original post by pazuzupazuzu
im here to warn others....
Glasgow is good as a getaway to all the scenic places in scotland but as i say if you stay there too long you will notice its a toxic environment. depends what you do. try an enjoy and keep busy. i enjoyed the first year and then i was fed up with the filth of the city.... the weather doesnt help...neither does the obsession with concrete

im in Bournemouth

You didn't think to warn others after your first year then. That's a shame.

Thought Glasgow was mostly sandstone.
Original post by Quady
You didn't think to warn others after your first year then. That's a shame.

Thought Glasgow was mostly sandstone.

Sandstone buildings, yes. But i meant concrete everything else. like its a good thing for mental health. the city centre was designed hopelessly. like a cage. anyway, im used to living in healthy surroundings and the glasgow experience was poor. too many derelict sites and empty buildings.

Quick Reply

Latest