The Student Room Group

Which US president was most significant? *GRAND FINAL*

Scroll to see replies

Abraham Lincoln, I think.

Although the slavery's question was not his priority, but to hold the United States together, his actions and decisions made a great contribution in this political issue.
how is obama in the lead? he didnt really do much compared to the other leaders.
why's everyone picking Obama lol
Reply 23
i love how we not even including Trump😂😂😂😂
Original post by R_A07
i love how we not even including Trump😂😂😂😂

Trump was knocked out in the Semi Finals :sadnod:
Original post by hehehehsiuuu
how is obama in the lead? he didnt really do much compared to the other leaders.

Original post by econhelp525
why's everyone picking Obama lol

Obama's more likeable to young people, and he's a name with instant recognisability due to how recent his presidency is. I think it's very easy for someone to see the poll and think it's about who is your favourite, vs who is most significant.
Reply 26
Original post by 04MR17
Obama's more likeable to young people, and he's a name with instant recognisability due to how recent his presidency is. I think it's very easy for someone to see the poll and think it's about who is your favourite, vs who is most significant.

he may not have made as many changes to America as the previous presidents but he made a huge impact on the Americans and THE REST of the world so by far he should winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!:smile:
Original post by R_A07
he may not have made as many changes to America as the previous presidents but he made a huge impact on the Americans and THE REST of the world so by far he should winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!:smile:

What changes did he do which were significant in the long-term? Failure to appoint a Supreme Court Justice, lost the House and Senate, pretty shocking launch of ACA (Obamacare), meek foreign policy in terms of Russia ... I mean, Obama just wasn't a very consequential President. I'd argue that FDR laid the prerequisites for Obama; without him, acceptance of 'Big State' intervention would never have been acceptable. If I remember correctly, some of FDR's reforms were struck down by the Supreme Court, so just imagine if FDR hadn't been President, would Obama really have been able to pass Obamacare and have it upheld in the Courts? I don't think so.

If anything, as much as I don't like Trump, he might have been a more consequential (and therefore significant) President. He completely shook the Republican Party, made it some cuckoo cult, appointed 3 conservative Justices to the Court (one of whom's only 49, and since they serve for live, that's very significant), changed political discourse in America for years to come ..., but that's digressing, since Trump isn't on here (and really, not as significant as other candidates).
Difficult to compare and I have limited knowledge but I'm saying Lincoln.
What changes did he do which were significant in the long-term? Failure to appoint a Supreme Court Justice, lost the House and Senate, pretty shocking launch of ACA (Obamacare), meek foreign policy in terms of Russia ... I mean, Obama just wasn't a very consequential President. I'd argue that FDR laid the prerequisites for Obama; without him, acceptance of 'Big State' intervention would never have been acceptable. If I remember correctly, some of FDR's reforms were struck down by the Supreme Court, so just imagine if FDR hadn't been President, would Obama really have been able to pass Obamacare and have it upheld in the Courts? I don't think so.

If anything, as much as I don't like Trump, he might have been a more consequential (and therefore significant) President. He completely shook the Republican Party, made it some cuckoo cult, appointed 3 conservative Justices to the Court (one of whom's only 49, and since they serve for live, that's very significant), changed political discourse in America for years to come ..., but that's digressing, since Trump isn't on here (and really, not as significant as other candidates).

To be fair I don't think the Supreme Court ordeal was Obama's fault. Mitch McConnell orchestrated that, Garland was a great nomination and should've got the spot. Similarly I wouldn't credit Trump as much as I'd 'credit' McConnell. Sneaky tactics and a slap in the face to RBG.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SupposedlyIronic
To be fair I don't think the Supreme Court ordeal was Obama's fault. Mitch McConnell orchestrated that, Garland was a great nomination and should've got the spot.

I don't disagree with you, but it is still a failure of Obama's presidency. The Democrats lost the Senate, and subsequently failed to get a Justice appointed.
I don't disagree with you, but it is still a failure of Obama's presidency. The Democrats lost the Senate, and subsequently failed to get a Justice appointed.

I suppose so. Sorry I edited my comment while you were replying I think but nothing changes too much.

I just appreciate Obama's character I suppose, I think he was quite an effective speaker from any speeches I've seen. Also monumental in being the first black president. Obamacare seems like another achievement but I do admit to being far more focused on British politics than American so there's probably a lot of failures there that I'm not clued up on. I think the biggest 'red flag' as such I know of would obviously be his relations to Biden who I struggle to trust at all. Perhaps he just comes from a different era but the way he acts with young girls makes my skin crawl a bit, like if that's what he'll do when he's on camera... I don't know really.
Original post by R_A07

Drones certainly do have a huge impact, that is true.
Original post by 04MR17

yeah i get that but that just mean this poll isnt going to be that relaible then if people are going by favourite rather than the most significant.
Original post by Starship Trooper
What the hell did Obama do other than be born the right skin colour and blow up a bunch of Pakistani children in drone strikes? If he was white he wouldn't be here. Black privilege.

At least he had passed the PPACA, or in short the Obamacare to give the Americans a health insurance for everyone. He really tried it. Otherwise I think that he couldn't lived up to the expectations people had on him. He is overrated, sure. I think the same, but he was not the worst president in America's history.
Original post by SupposedlyIronic
To be fair I don't think the Supreme Court ordeal was Obama's fault. Mitch McConnell orchestrated that, Garland was a great nomination and should've got the spot. Similarly I wouldn't credit Trump as much as I'd 'credit' McConnell. Sneaky tactics and a slap in the face to RBG.

Original post by Kallisto
At least he had passed the PPACA, or in short the Obamacare to give the Americans a health insurance for everyone. He really tried it. Otherwise I think that he couldn't lived up to the expectations people had on him. He is overrated, sure. I think the same, but he was not the worst president in America's history.

I think the issue is that, while I don't think Obama not achieving very much is his fault, the question here is who was most significant. Even if Obama was obstructed by Congress at almost every occasion after the Democrats lost control, can he be considered significant?

(Obviously you could make an argument for his significance as the first black president I think you can make an argument for that being the most significant thing that has happened in the history of the presidency, but I'd be surprised if it were that mainstream an argument.)
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I think the issue is that, while I don't think Obama not achieving very much is his fault, the question here is who was most significant. Even if Obama was obstructed by Congress at almost every occasion after the Democrats lost control, can he be considered significant?

(Obviously you could make an argument for his significance as the first black president I think you can make an argument for that being the most significant thing that has happened in the history of the presidency, but I'd be surprised if it were that mainstream an argument.)

Oh yeah completely, just thought it was worth noting.
And the results are.....

:king1: Barack Obama (D, 2009-2017) (120)
:king2: Abraham Lincoln (R, 1861-1865) (115)
:king3: George Washington (Ind, 1789-1797) (70)
4th Franklin Roosevelt (D, 1933-1945) (52)
5th Ronald Reagan (R, 1981-1989) (23)
6th Harry Truman (D, 1945-1953) (10)
7th Thomas Jefferson (D-R, 1801-1809) (8)
8th Andrew Jackson (D, 1829-1837) (5)

Congratulations to Mr Obama :congrats:
What a stunning and brave result!

Screenshot_2021-09-06-14-33-39-73_92b64b2a7aa6eb3771ed6e18d0029815.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending