The Student Room Group

Is it right to do anything to succeed

Discuss the argument giving pros and cons
Pro- determination shown
Con- depends on what you do
(edited 2 years ago)
Traditionally you're supposed to do your own homework assignments, rather than ask strangers to do them :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
Traditionally you're supposed to do your own homework assignments, rather than ask strangers to do them :tongue:

We don't have to write anything we just have to discuss with friends
Original post by Roxibox123
We don't have to write anything we just have to discuss with friends

You're still expected to do a bit more than bark 'Discuss!' at strangers without even giving the slightest glimmer of context or your own opinion. If you visibly cba putting the effort in others won't either. :smile:
Reply 4
This should be in the philosophy section.

But yes, I tend to believe that the ends justify the means.
It depends upon the context of the situation and the aim.
Having an ambition or fiercely believing in a cause does not automatically justify serious criminal conduct.
Nor being vicious towards those who do not share the ambition or type of tactics being employed to achieve it.
It depends on what you are trying to succeed.

I mean Mary Ann Cotton was apparently quite committed and dedicated to her goals.
I've put this in philosophy for you as it's not really a UK politics question. :smile:
@OP

Humans will do what humans do, they can do no other. A lion does what a lion does. Every animal is built that way.

What you deem to be "success" or "succeeding" is totally subjective and the universe as a whole I;m sure doesn't remotely care what you think about that.

Some would say that just managing to survive is "succeeding" and we are surely programmed to try and survive. Others who have been conditioned by childhood upbringing and all the experiences and inputs around them might deem success to be the acquisition of wealth, power and control and status, though I personally think such people have been hoodwinked.

Framing your question towards survival would be better. Should humans do anything they need to in order to survive? That question brings with it a whole raft of moral and ethical dilemmas. Is your life and/or that of your family ore important than any other life? Is it right to do ANYTHING needed to preserve those lives even if it means other lives must perish?

Discuss
“Anything” is too wide
Original post by Rakas21
This should be in the philosophy section.

But yes, I tend to believe that the ends justify the means.

Do you support Putin bombing civilians to achieve the end he wants?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Picnicl
Do you support Putin bombing civilians to achieve the end he wants?

I don't agree with his ends but in such a context, yes. I've no doubt that the British Empire did many terrible things to achieve its goals and they were right to, without hesitation.
Original post by Rakas21
I don't agree with his ends but in such a context, yes. I've no doubt that the British Empire did many terrible things to achieve its goals and they were right to, without hesitation.

You don't agree with his ends - making Ukraine a Russian state - but you agree with his means - indiscriminate and targetted murdering of children and civilians and raping civilians?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Picnicl
You don't agree with his ends - making Ukraine a Russian state - but you agree with his means - indiscriminate and targetted murdering of children and civilians and raping civilians?

I'm saying that if I agreed with his ends, the means would be largely irrelevant (albeit the rape and children stuff is not a required means).
Original post by Rakas21
I'm saying that if I agreed with his ends, the means would be largely irrelevant (albeit the rape and children stuff is not a required means).

So you are either not pro-Ukraine or, at best, you think that whoever wants something strongly enough and gets the means to do it, will probably get it and deserves to get it..

If everyone thought like you, the world would be an anarchistic totalitarian bloodied warzone.
Original post by Picnicl
So you are either not pro-Ukraine or, at best, you think that whoever wants something strongly enough and gets the means to do it, will probably get it and deserves to get it..

If everyone thought like you, the world would be an anarchistic totalitarian bloodied warzone.

I am Pro Ukraine, I'm pro west. You phrased the question in a manner that used Russia as a hypothetical.

To turn it around, if NATO and Russia were engaged in military conflict, I would have no problem using thermobaric weapons on enemy cities to achieve victory.

It's not so much about deserving it, it's about having the will to win. Nobody questions the right or wrong of Rome's wars against Carthage or the other Italian city states early on because ultimately all that history cares about is that Rome slaughtered it's enemies and birthed an empire that gave you the Latin script you write in and religion you or your parents probably believed in.

It's not fair but it is the reality of the way the world works. If your not prepared to win at all costs, don't start the fight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending