The Student Room Group

[Official Thread] Russian invasion of Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHallowvale
Such as...?

It would be tedious to list all the variables, so I'll cut to the chase.

It is possible that Russia could justify an invasion on Finland and Sweden, but not in the same way as Ukraine. Russia has already warned the two countries on the basis of regional stability, should they attempt to join NATO. Finland, as you mentioned, shares a border with Russia, so there's geographical reasons for ensuring that Finland doesn't join NATO.
Reply 41
Jesus ****ing Christ, what am I reading in here.
Original post by Joel 96
It would be tedious to list all the variables, so I'll cut to the chase.

It is possible that Russia could justify an invasion on Finland and Sweden, but not in the same way as Ukraine. Russia has already warned the two countries on the basis of regional stability, should they attempt to join NATO. Finland, as you mentioned, shares a border with Russia, so there's geographical reasons for ensuring that Finland doesn't join NATO.

Hmm, do you think that Russia's invasion of Ukraine is right, justified or both?
Hmm, do you think that Russia's invasion of Ukraine is right, justified or both?

I think that NATO's gradual and continuous expansion to the East is unjustifiable, careless, and irresponsible. Russia's response has been forced by NATO, thus I think the invasion is justified in that sense. Hot take, but that's how I feel as an objective bystander.

Do I morally justify the killing of innocents? Never.
Some very backwards logic that countries voluntarily joining NATO out of fear of Russia, somehow explains or even justifies its recent actions.

Like beating someone up for joining an increasingly large anti-bullying campaign.
Original post by Joel 96
I think that NATO's gradual and continuous expansion to the East is unjustifiable, careless, and irresponsible. Russia's response has been forced by NATO, thus I think the invasion is justified in that sense. Hot take, but that's how I feel as an objective bystander.

Do I morally justify the killing of innocents? Never.

Thanks! I wanted to clarify on the two since they seem similar but can mean different things, I'm glad to hear that you don't think the invasion is morally correct.

I think there's a great irony in this situation, from Russia's perspective. Their invasion justifies further NATO expansion to the East and a means of protecting themselves from Russia, since Russia probably wouldn't want to attack NATO directly. I can see this invasion as fueling NATO expansion into Sweden and Finland, perhaps.
I think there's a great irony in this situation, from Russia's perspective. Their invasion justifies further NATO expansion to the East and a means of protecting themselves from Russia, since Russia probably wouldn't want to attack NATO directly. I can see this invasion as fueling NATO expansion into Sweden and Finland, perhaps.

Indeed, Finland and Sweden both have more reason than ever to join NATO.
Original post by Admit-One
Some very backwards logic that countries voluntarily joining NATO out of fear of Russia, somehow explains or even justifies its recent actions.

Like beating someone up for joining an increasingly large anti-bullying campaign.

Clever framing, but no.

Thanks! I wanted to clarify on the two since they seem similar but can mean different things, I'm glad to hear that you don't think the invasion is morally correct.

No worries, understood.

Yes, I think NATO will feel that their presence in the East is more justified now. However, whatever action Russia would have made, I think NATO would have fully expanded to Russian borders regardless.

I don't think you're wrong in your projections. In fact, I think that's the likelihood.
Original post by Joel 96
Yes, I think NATO will feel that their presence in the East is more justified now. However, whatever action Russia would have made, I think NATO would have fully expanded to Russian borders regardless.

I don't think you're wrong in your projections. In fact, I think that's the likelihood.

What makes you think NATO will expand into Russia's borders?
What makes you think NATO will expand into Russia's borders?

Based on the evidence. The aspirations of Ukraine joining NATO, alongside Georgia and Bosnia.
Such a sad day, I'm angered that one man can cause so much destruction at the wave of his hand. This shouldn't be allowed to happen in this day and age. I felt naively that we had moved past things like this, but I guess we never will until leaders like Putin are wiped out and democracy prevails.
Original post by Joel 96
Based on the evidence. The aspirations of Ukraine joining NATO, alongside Georgia and Bosnia.

How is that evidence that NATO will expand into Russia? Presumably you're suggesting that NATO will expand into Russia by force, not by peace...?
How is that evidence that NATO will expand into Russia? Presumably you're suggesting that NATO will expand into Russia by force, not by peace...?

I didn't say into Russia:

"However, whatever action Russia would have made, I think NATO would have fully expanded to Russian borders regardless."
Original post by Joel 96
I didn't say into Russia:

"However, whatever action Russia would have made, I think NATO would have fully expanded to Russian borders regardless."

My apologies! Misread.
Reply 54
Putin's issue is that Russia's influence in the world was steadily diminishing, with the world becoming bipolar again, but with US/China at the top, and with Russia becoming less relevant. He has got the world's attention again, but in the longer term this is going to spectacularly backfire on Russia, as it all it will do is push more countries away from Russia and towards the West/NATO, and will trash their economy. Putin has just signed the death warrant of thousands young soldiers and civilians, but history will also show that he has accelerated the fall of Russian influence.
My apologies! Misread.

No problem.

Do you think NATO was justified in expanding to the East?

If not, do you think they're justified now?
NATO should just stay out of it, nothing good ever comes out with NATO getting involved. And to be fair Russia's justifications of invading Ukraine are more justified than the West invading the middle east.
Original post by Joel 96
No problem.

Do you think NATO was justified in expanding to the East?

If not, do you think they're justified now?

Yes, particularly for this reason.
Original post by StriderHort
I agree with most of this, but tbh I can't ignore that the west has played it's knowing part in this, we're the ones that goaded Ukraine to aggro with their neighbour with promises of support that melt in the sun, again. I'm not saying for a second this justifies the invasion and deaths that will result, but we did kind of put Russia in a position where it felt threatened by NATO through it's neighbour, there was always going to be a reaction to that and it's not like they want more NATO forces and weapons on their borders, Ukraine is just a pawn in this :frown:

This is true, most wars start because one side refuse to compromise. Think of 1914, the serbs agreed to all austria's demand, just that one demand of austria to participate in the investigation that they didnt agree to and booom WWI
Yes, particularly for this reason.

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending