The Student Room Group

[Official Thread] Russian invasion of Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joel 96
Exactly. You'd have to be really dumb to let that happen.

It is strange that some people think it should be allowed. If it was the other way round and a Russian NATO equivalent wanted to include Ireland in its coalition, we would have invaded Ireland.
Credit where is due though, sleepy joe said that a russian invasion was imminent within days, he was right for once
Ironically many of the the hard right who are Putin apologists were the very same people complaining about the number of refugees flooding into Europe.

You don't need the sharpest second order thinking skills to understand that Putin is now creating a massive humanitarian crisis that will result in a mass movement of refugees westward.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Tempest II
Except that's exactly what they've done since 2014. I doubt you'll find anyone in Ukraine east of Kharkiv who sees Russia as anything other than a hostile state.
Russia's invasion force can't control 35 million Ukrainian citizens.

True, but Russia can also not tolerate an enemy on its border.

Russia does not need to control 35 million citizens. You need to destroy the infrastructure and take control of the Government.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by The RAR
Credit where is due though, sleepy joe said that a russian invasion was imminent within days, he was right for once

Sleepy Joe predicted that it was last Wednesday. He was off by a week.
Original post by Wired_1800

Russia does not need to control 35 million citizens. You need to destroy the infrastructure and take control of the Government.

Oh so THAT'S what the West did wrong in Iraq and Afghanistan...
Do you really think occupying a hostile nation is that easy?
Original post by Crazed cat lady
Ironically many of the the hard right who are Putin apologists were the very same people complaining about the number of refugees flooding into Europe.

You don't need the sharpest second order thinking skills to understand that Putin is now creating a massive humanitarian crisis that will result in a mass movement of refugees westward.

Was thinking about this as well. If the invasion becomes more violent, which it might well do, then we will see lots of refugees from Ukraine. To use Syria as an example, millions of Syrians fled the country when war broke out, hundreds of thousands of which made it to Europe.

Now take Ukraine, which has double the population of Syria and is right on Europe's doorstop.
Original post by Tempest II
Oh so THAT'S what the West did wrong in Iraq and Afghanistan...
Do you really think occupying a hostile nation is that easy?

As a coalition of many strong countries, yes. I doubt Putin is concerned with Ukraine without NATO backing.
Original post by SHallowvale
Was thinking about this as well. If the invasion becomes more violent, which it might well do, then we will see lots of refugees from Ukraine. To use Syria as an example, millions of Syrians fled the country when war broke out, hundreds of thousands of which made it to Europe.

Now take Ukraine, which has double the population of Syria and is right on Europe's doorstop.

It’s happening already
‘The border states of Ukraine EU members Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia and Romania as well as EU aspirant Moldova have all announced preparations for the expected wave of refugees from Ukraine as Russia launches a full-scale invasion of the country.

At midday on Thursday there were already reports from Poland about trains arriving in Warsaw this morning full of Ukrainians, with some saying these tickets were purchased days ago in expectation of a Russian invasion.

Polish Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Pawel Szefernaker announced on Thursday morning that Poland is opening eight reception centres for Ukrainian refugees in the two regions closest to the border. At these locations, refugees would receive food, medical help and information.

In the past few weeks, Polish municipalities across the country have been analysing their temporary accommodation capacities that could be made available to Ukrainians in the event of an influx.’

https://balkaninsight.com/2022/02/24/ukraine-border-states-prepare-for-wave-of-refugees/
Original post by Cancelled Alice
It’s happening already
‘The border states of Ukraine EU members Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia and Romania as well as EU aspirant Moldova have all announced preparations for the expected wave of refugees from Ukraine as Russia launches a full-scale invasion of the country.

At midday on Thursday there were already reports from Poland about trains arriving in Warsaw this morning full of Ukrainians, with some saying these tickets were purchased days ago in expectation of a Russian invasion.

Polish Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Pawel Szefernaker announced on Thursday morning that Poland is opening eight reception centres for Ukrainian refugees in the two regions closest to the border. At these locations, refugees would receive food, medical help and information.

In the past few weeks, Polish municipalities across the country have been analysing their temporary accommodation capacities that could be made available to Ukrainians in the event of an influx.’

https://balkaninsight.com/2022/02/24/ukraine-border-states-prepare-for-wave-of-refugees/

Not surprising. I hope the rest of Europe takes in these refugees.
Original post by Saracen's Fez

Tbh he's probably glad of the distraction away from his illicit parties.
Original post by SHallowvale
Not surprising. I hope the rest of Europe takes in these refugees.

Ukrainian has a population of over 41 million, that’s a lot of potential refugees, politically it may be very difficult.

I am watching Germany with baited breath in regards to energy.
From the BBC:

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson begins outlining the latest sanctions against Russia, saying Ukrainians are offering a "fierce defence" and calling Vladimir Putin a "bloodstained aggressor".

He announces that all major Russian banks will face a full UK asset freeze.

The prime minister also promises legislation next week to stop large Russian companies raising finance/debt on UK markets.

Boris Johnson says there will be limits on the amount Russians can deposit in UK banks, with asset freezes extended to around 100 more people.

Airline Aeroflot will be banned from the UK, he says, while there will be "stringent export controls" for technology sold to Russia.

Similar measures will be imposed on Belarus, the PM says.

"Oligarchs in London will have nowhere to hide," he adds.

The UK will work with allies to target Russian finances, Boris Johnson tells the House of Commons.

Russia's shares are falling fast, with the rouble plummeting to record lows against the dollar, he says.

The PM then promises to counter "the Kremlins blizzard of lies and disinformation".

Nato's defences must be strengthened and the leaders of member nations will meet on Friday, he adds.
Original post by Wired_1800

Just to check, are we suggesting that Ukraine was an "enemy" to Russia prior to invasion?
Original post by Rakas21
To be honest it's not that Russia is a superpower (it lacks the industrial output or innovative advantage to compete in a conventional war against a European coalition that involves Britain and France or the US) but simply that it has nukes.

If we ever develop a sure fire way to detect and disable nukes then I'm sure many of us would have no issue with dismantling Russia and reducing Moscow to ruin for the security of the west.

Assuming the west hasn't dismantled itself then through ever-increasing wokeism.
I feel for the poor Ukrainian people, stuck in the middle of this conflict and obviously terrified of what it might mean for them.

---

Hypothetically, let's say that Russia does take over the Ukraine... It will still have an 'enemy' on its borders, which is part of NATO. What should they do then? The logic doesn't seem to work...
Original post by Cancelled Alice
I am watching Germany with baited breath in regards to energy.
I note the timing of this invasion means Merkel is out of the equation. Potentially a factor?
Original post by 04MR17
I note the timing of this invasion means Merkel is out of the equation. Potentially a factor?

Potentially, yes. Merkel had for various reasons (growing up in the GDR and speaking fluent Russian) a special relationship with Putin and Russia. Scholz is a non-Russian-speaker from Hamburg though his party is historically friendlier with Russia and less attached to the Western alliance than the CDU. I do wonder if Scholz was seen as weak and inexperienced I'm not sure he's been any weaker than Merkel would likely have been, mind.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Potentially, yes. Merkel had for various reasons (growing up in the GDR and speaking fluent Russian) a special relationship with Putin and Russia. Scholz is a non-Russian-speaker from Hamburg though his party is historically friendlier with Russia and less attached to the Western alliance than the CDU. I do wonder if Scholz was seen as weak and inexperienced I'm not sure he's been any weaker than Merkel would likely have been, mind.
Trump being replaced by Biden also possibly helped with timings too we think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending